Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Emulation Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

Great to see progress on the Xbox 360 front....in time it'll restore life to all those XBLA games that can't get got/played any more short of a modded console.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Tried out PSP emulation on retroarch last night and the results weren't great. Played Final Fantasy Tactics as I thought it would be a good way to play the game on PC.

While graphically it wasn't too bad the sound unfortunately likes to mess up a lot in this game. It's very distracting, especially when FFT has one of the finest soundtracks of all time.

Seems there is a fix by downgrading the emulation core.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭megaten

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Tried out PSP emulation on retroarch last night and the results weren't great. Played Final Fantasy Tactics as I thought it would be a good way to play the game on PC.

While graphically it wasn't too bad the sound unfortunately likes to mess up a lot in this game. It's very distracting, especially when FFT has one of the finest soundtracks of all time.

PPSSPP has a great controller focused UI so I'd say your better off just using the standalone emulator.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Reading up on it it's a emulation issue with the updated core. They tried to improve the sound and in doing so screwed up how reverb works in some games. So the core needs an update or I could downgrade while I wait.

Use standalone emulators for certain modern systems like PSP, Wii, Wii U, PS3, etc. Grab the latest PPSSPP standalone and compare...

• Advertisement

It's a emulation core level issue it seems, nothing to do with retroarch. they're trying to sort and it's in the to do list. Apparently the game has always have audio issues with emulators. At least it can be used as a good barometer for whether PSP emulation is getting better!

Think I'll give Tactics Ogre a go instead, I've never finished it unlike FF Tactics. Hope it fixes my hunger to play FF Tactics again after the recent retronauts episode.

It's a emulation core level issue it seems, nothing to do with retroarch. they're trying to sort and it's in the to do list. Apparently the game has always have audio issues with emulators. At least it can be used as a good barometer for whether PSP emulation is getting better!

Think I'll give Tactics Ogre a go instead, I've never finished it unlike FF Tactics. Hope it fixes my hunger to play FF Tactics again after the recent retronauts episode.

Retroarch cores can lie behind when it comes to fixes and updates, you'd be best off using PPSSPP regardless, it's far more flexible than the RA core would be.

Ok I'll give it a go

So I gave the PPSSPP emulator a go and the sound issue still persists. Definitely a emulation core issue than anything else and plenty of people on their forums documenting the issue.

I decided to just keep playing the game as it only pops up in certain areas (when there is lightning and more annoyingly when selecting troop starting positions and the victory fanfare every time).

So I gave the PPSSPP emulator a go and the sound issue still persists. Definitely a emulation core issue than anything else and plenty of people on their forums documenting the issue.

I decided to just keep playing the game as it only pops up in certain areas (when there is lightning and more annoyingly when selecting troop starting positions and the victory fanfare every time).

Using the standalone over RA always means you're getting the latest version anyway, so if you do run into issues, it's best to just cross-reference the RA core against the lastest standalone. That said, RA handles probably 90% of what I need perfectly, it's just the few modern systems you need to use standalones for to be sure you're getting the latest version/fixes.

Have you cranked up the resolution beyond stock at all?

• Advertisement

I didn't expect PPSSPP to be perfect but good enough for me as I've seen videos of it looking rather good but it seems to be an issue that's cropped up as they are trying to improve the accuracy of sound emulation and sound issues really are grating in this game unfortunately.

Still the desire to play the game is greater than the annoying occasional grating static noises. I could play the PS1 version but the translation is so bad it's barely English. PSP version has much better translation and adds a few small extras. Just finding it easier to stick with games on PC as I've abandoned the game twice on Vita. It's one of the very best RPGs of all time, and in my opinion the best in the FF series.

I added a few improvements to the game actually. Running it at 4x the internal resolution. I've also removed the texture filtering as the original PSP game just blurs everything and it looks like a mess. Also installed a patch that restores the 4:3 aspect ratio (the PSP release just stretches the image to an ugly 16:9) and also a patch to remove the slowdown in the game which is there because it's a very shoddy port.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭brianregan09

So I'm gonna have a go at modding my girlfriends Wii during the week (she was gonna dump it ) any advice or suggestions guys ? been looking at a few youtube videos and seems a simple enough job , want to get Wii and gamecube games going on it because I have Snes mini for the older games

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

It's very easy tbh, there are even apps where you can download all you need to mod it and the homebrew apps in one go, and then just copy to your sd card. Unfortunately I can't remember the name, as it's been years since I did it, but it's pretty hard to go wrong tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Star Lord wrote: »
    Unfortunately I can't remember the name, as it's been years since I did it, but it's pretty hard to go wrong tbh!

I'm guessing it's ModMii?

http://modmii.000webhostapp.com/home.html
    want to get Wii and gamecube games going on it because I have Snes mini for the older games

Use an app called Nintendont for GC games.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendont.349258/

Retroarch 1.7.8 new features (touch screen light guns!)

RPCS3 continues to improve...

MGS4 in-game for the first time, again RPCS3

Bsnes overclocking demo

Inviere wrote: »
    MGS4 in-game for the first time, again RPCS3

aaaaaand merely one week later, most of the graphics problems have been fixed....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Relikk wrote: »
    I'm guessing it's ModMii?

http://modmii.000webhostapp.com/home.html

Use an app called Nintendont for GC games.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendont.349258/

Got it going the other night , Luigis Mansion and Rogue Squadron 2 wow never played these before so good

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Anyone use RetroArch on Android TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Stoner wrote: »

Ya I use it with my Nvidia Shield TV without any problems, using ARCbrowser as the frontend.

Stoner wrote: »

Same, Nvidia Shield. I haven't set up a frontend on it though, I've scanned the libraries so just launch games directly through the built in GUI. Is ARCbrowser any good TLB?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Its nice enough, handy if you have different emulators installed so its one central place to launch them.

Ya if everything is running thru retoarch then its gui is fine.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Stoner wrote:

I'll give it a lash this weekend

I was more interested in non shield installs, like just android TVs, Sony Bravia etc

I wouldn't Imagine a shield would struggle, I should have been more precise in my question.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

That emulator sold me on a gateway2000 pentiumIII with a voodoo3 card :D

The whole thing was like a story from eastenders on daveslassics.com with one of the authors getting divorced over it.

It was a great time though to play zelda in high resolution a few months after release.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

T on daveslassics.com with one of the authors getting divorced over it.

Now thats a site I havent heard of in an awfully long time....

A basic explanation of the voodoo that is the run-ahead feature in RetroArch

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Inviere wrote: »
    A basic explanation of the voodoo that is the run-ahead feature in RetroArch

Extremely interesting.

Used Retroarch for online snes play and even though it’s not perfect it’s still very good.

^^ Save your money folks :o Here's the route to take, for a few extra quid, blows any Pi and Mini console away...

• Advertisement

byuu on the very last step in achieving perfect Snes emulation. Unfortunately, it's not an easy one to take - tis a bit of a technical read, but very interesting all the same - https://byuu.org/articles/edge-of-emulation

Advertisement