Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rock ID please.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

If it feels comparatively light in weight, then it's probably a volcanic tuff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Anyone know what this is , it looks like a big lump of tarmac, but it's not, most of the stones around here are granite

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Anyone know what this is , it looks like a big lump of tarmac, but it's not, most of the stones around here are granite

It's quite difficult to see from the photos but it looks to me a little like a 'smithing hearth cake' but I am not seeing the usual oxidised iron. Smithing hearth cakes were a by-product of medieval and post-medieval iron smelting furnaces. They are a conglomerate of waste, often heat affected stone (usually bog ore) cemented together with partially smelted iron.
    Was it sitting on the surface or dug up recently?
    Does it feel metallic?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

It was level with the surface, with a layer of grass covering it. I first pulled it up when ripping for forestry in 2010 and it's been there since, there is still clay on it so I cannot say if it feels metallic, but I will try a magnet on it, it would not be as heavy as a similar sized granite stone, it's approximately 60/45/30 cm.

Advertisement