Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time at a footmall match

• 30-04-2018 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭greenpilot

I'm 46 years old and my 12 year old and I are going to a football match (Sligo v Bray) for the first time in our lives. We chose this match due to its proximity to home. Tried to mention this in the Soccer forum, but they seem to be a bit precious about who posts there.
    Anyway, really looking forward to it. Haven't a clue about either team, but hopefully it wont rain!

Let's see what all the fuss is about, eh?

Until full time, Paul and Jimmy!

:D

P.S. No, I don't know why I'm posting this either!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

You will notice there are no replays.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Do you have a vlog/ newsletter that I could subscribe to?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Wear sensible shoes!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Whats Footmall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Back when I used to attend League Of Ireland matches Sligo had a truly terrible chant "Na, na, na, na. Na, na, na, na. Hey! Hey! Hey! Sligo Rovers." To the tune of that Banarama song. Try to start that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I hope you enjoy the game of football.

jrXLm.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Adam Morgan is not playing. They should be giving you a discount for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,390 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

League of Ireland....great way to turn him off football for life.

• Wrap up as if it was 5-8 degrees cooler than forecast. Always seems to be colder watching a match. Not fun to be freezing especially if the game is crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Wrap up as if it was 5-8 degrees cooler than forecast. Always seems to be colder watching a match. Not fun to be freezing especially if the game is crap.

Came in to post this! Don't know if it's the shape of stadiums or maybe the elevation from ground level when you're in a stand, but absolutely, knock a few degrees off any weather forecast for the day and also assume the wind will be a fair bit more blustery as well.

Number of times I'm leaving the gaff with my dad to go to a match and he's laughing at me for not bringing a bigger jacket, then we get to the game and it's like "ok, you were right, drop the smug attitude like" :D:D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭taserfrank

It's great going to see a real football match- being hemmed into a freezing cold stand with a bunch of angry men spitting and shouting expletives into your ears, while watching your favourite players who are no more than dots on the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Don't forget to bet...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

It is what you make of it. I don't particularly care for football itself, especially the campy top flight stuff, but I go to every home game from my club, to cheer, sing, drink, make new friends and every once in a while to cheer on a win. It helps the club has a great ethos and spirit but still, this is mostly because the fans made it so.

Go to enjoy it and you will

• Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Whats Footmall

An American sport...played in a shopping mall.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Fair play, hope the young lad has a good time

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Try a rugby match next its way more exciting.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Turtyturd wrote: »
    League of Ireland....great way to turn him off football for life.

Yeah much better to watch a bunch of overpaid primadonnas falling over for 90 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 18,055 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

greenpilot wrote: »
    I'm 46 years old and my 12 year old and I are going to a football match (Sligo v Bray) for the first time in our lives. We chose this match due to its proximity to home. Tried to mention this in the Soccer forum, but they seem to be a bit precious about who posts there.
    Anyway, really looking forward to it. Haven't a clue about either team, but hopefully it wont rain!

All this brought a smile to my face. It's a lovely post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭jasonb

First time I went to a football match was years ago. I think I was 8. I couldn't understand why there was no commentary! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Enjoy.The people that knock the League Of Ireland are the people that don't go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

You'll have to take care and avoid the ultras

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Whats Footmall

Yep. Just noticed that.

• Wrap up as if it was 5-8 degrees cooler than forecast. Always seems to be colder watching a match. Not fun to be freezing especially if the game is crap.

Came in to post this! Don't know if it's the shape of stadiums or maybe the elevation from ground level when you're in a stand, but absolutely, knock a few degrees off any weather forecast for the day and also assume the wind will be a fair bit more blustery as well.

Number of times I'm leaving the gaff with my dad to go to a match and he's laughing at me for not bringing a bigger jacket, then we get to the game and it's like "ok, you were right, drop the smug attitude like" :D:D:D
    Haha, I've learned this the hard way from going to games with my old man as well. Even Croke Park in the summer can be a cold ould place than it is on the streets outside.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Reckon I've attended well over a thousand top level matches over the years, including 5 European Cup/Champions League finals, a European Cup Winners Cup final, a European Championships final and 10 FA Cup finals, and have been to around 10 countries following my teams

Took my youngest for his first trip to Wembley the other week, and the pair of us will be heading back there in another couple of weeks

Still get as much enjoyment out of it as I was getting nearly 50 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Beasty wrote: »
    Reckon I've attended well over a thousand top level matches over the years, including 5 European Cup/Champions League finals, a European Cup Winners Cup final, a European Championships final and 10 FA Cup finals, and have been to around 10 countries following my teams

Took my youngest for his first trip to Wembley the other week, and the pair of us will be heading back there in another couple of weeks

Lol. The young fellow won't shut up beside me. He's trying to explain something called the away goal rule. Nearly at the grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Try a rugby match next its way more exciting.

Rugby is rubbish to watch live.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,355 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Beasty wrote: »

Adopt me daddy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

greenpilot wrote: »

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057543359/809/#post106870927

Should follow the league of Ireland thread

Advertisement