Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wallet stolen from bag with licence inside

• 17-01-2020 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭

Hi lads. So my wallet was stolen from my bag at work with my licence inside as I intended to purchase rounds after work other day. No cameras in work locker room so cant pin it on anyone and I wear rain proof clothing without pockets so normally I leave my wallet in my locked locker shelf.
    Anyone know what I do? I rang garda station to report to firearms officer but hes never there and I've left 3 messages about it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

Thats rough, the country is going to the dogs. I was wondering about this the other day, like you i carry my licences in my wallet and was wondering what the problems could be if someone nicked it. Could they buy rounds with the licence ? What worries me is the thief knows your address and the firearms you have.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Report the license(s) stolen, request reprints, keep an eye on your home for a while (in case anyone gets any stupid ideas) and then carry on as normal.

Not a lot more you can do after that.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

tudderone wrote: »
    Thats rough, the country is going to the dogs. I was wondering about this the other day, like you i carry my licences in my wallet and was wondering what the problems could be if someone nicked it. Could they buy rounds with the licence ? What worries me is the thief knows your address and the firearms you have.

Any place selling ammunition has CCTV and records every single sale in writing at the time of sale, plus everyone with a licence for a firearm has been checked by the Gardaí for security so I wouldn't think it's a huge security issue that some opportunist thief has a come into the possession of a licence belong to someone else.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

The should have all your details in the ammo book so go back to whoever you bought from before and you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

I wouldn't think it's a huge security issue that some opportunist thief has a come into the possession of a licence belong to someone else.

Only the firearm, potential amount of rounds in the house and the exact location of where its kept written on the licence.

Good job ags.. another fine oversight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,421 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

hedzball wrote: »
    Only the firearm, potential amount of rounds in the house and the exact location of where its kept written on the licence.

Good job ags.. another fine oversight

Maybe...dont lose it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

Witcher wrote: »
    Maybe...dont lose it?
    Probably the wrong forum for a high horse. There are many many legally held firearms here and no closed season for high horses (That I am aware of) :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Was the wallet in a locked locker at the time?

I'd report the theft itself to the local gardaí independent of notifying the firearms officer and also report the theft in work stressing the seriousness of the matter as a firearms licence was also taken with your wallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

Was the wallet in a locked locker at the time?

I'd report the theft itself to the local gardaí independent of notifying the firearms officer and also report the theft in work stressing the seriousness of the matter as a firearms licence was also taken with your wallet.

I wouldn't mentioned that I have a firearm in work. Nothing positive will come of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

I wouldn't mentioned that I have a firearm in work. Nothing positive will come of it.

He did not say he had a firearm at work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

I meant telling management that his licence was stolen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

I meant telling management that his licence was stolen

Why not? If I was reporting a theft I would expect to give a full inventory of what was stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Why not? If I was reporting a theft I would expect to give a full inventory of what was stolen.

The company won't care what was in the wallet, the fact that an employee stole another employee's property is enough of a problem for them. Hopefully the person was only after the money and does not realise what else was in the wallet.

When reporting the theft to the Gardai you give the contents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

I was working in a place in Ringsend years ago when i learned the hard way half the staff were thieving ex-jailbirds. After that if i could not carry my belongings on my person, i left them at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Del2005 wrote: »
    The company won't care what was in the wallet, the fact that an employee stole another employee's property is enough of a problem for them. Hopefully the person was only after the money and does not realise what else was in the wallet.

When reporting the theft to the Gardai you give the contents.

There's no law saying you have to mention everything that was in the wallet. The Gardai mainly need to know what was in the wallet in the hope that they can identify it if it was recovered.

Agreed though, the Company would need to know about having a thief on-site.

Advertisement