Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are we the greatest nation on the planet?

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,780 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I do love how the French take no crap from their government. One fault of us, we get walked all over and just talk about it. French are people of action, they are willing to remind their government '' you work for us!! ''

I admire them greatly for this

• Registered Users Posts: 18,193 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Cienciano wrote: »
    I wouldn't like to live anywhere else as I like Ireland, we do well as a nation, but as soon as someone says something like "Are we the greatest nation on the planet?" I just think "wánker"

Not directed at you OP, anyone from any country that says that would get the same reaction.

I agree it is like calling yourself 'the chosen people', that never ends well!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

I wouldn't like to live anywhere else as I like Ireland, we do well as a nation, but as soon as someone says something like "Are we the greatest nation on the planet?" I just think "wánker"

Not directed at you OP, anyone from any country that says that would get the same reaction.

Wánker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

We have an overly inflated view of ourselves as a nation. We also want to be constantly relevant and important on the world stage, for example if a train crashes in China we want to find an Irish link. In such a scenario we will say there was a man of Irish descent on the train who died and forget the 99 others who died, this is an Irish tragedy because of the one man of Irish extraction who died on the train.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I wouldn't say greatest, but we have to be in the top 200, at least.

I'd certainly put us ahead of the Vatican, Saudi Arabia and any other religious sh1tholes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

Reati wrote: »
    We're 14th.

Overall Rank Country
    1  Finland
    2  Norway
    3  Denmark
    4  Iceland
    5   Switzerland
    6  Netherlands
    7  Canada
    8  New Zealand
    9  Sweden
    10  Australia
    11  Israel
    12  Austria
    13  Costa Rica
    14  Ireland

Source:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Happiness_Report#2019_World_Happiness_Report

What do the top 10 countries have in common
    - none of the top 10 are Catholic countries. Has to be a fault in that survey somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

KevinCavan wrote: »
    We have an overly inflated view of ourselves as a nation. We also want to be constantly relevant and important on the world stage, for example if a train crashes in China we want to find an Irish link. In such a scenario we will say there was a man of Irish descent on the train who died and forget the 99 others who died, this is an Irish tragedy because of the one man of Irish extraction who died on the train.

"Local man dies at sea" headline when the Titanic went down

• Registered Users Posts: 27,785 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

What countries Tv news have you watched who dont do this?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

janfebmar wrote: »
    - none of the top 10 are Catholic countries. Has to be a fault in that survey somewhere.

People who live in countries where the church has no impact are happier? Seems logical enough to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Edgware wrote: »
    "Local man dies at sea" headline when the Titanic went down

We like to keep our eye on Russia, like the Skibbereen Eagle. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

We're only as great as the least of us, and we've got some pretty least-y people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

I do love how the French take no crap from their government. One fault of us, we get walked all over and just talk about it. French are people of action, they are willing to remind their government '' you work for us!! ''

Yeah let’s trash our country to the tune of millions of euros of losses to business etc.

That’ll show them.

Every country does that it is not just an Irish phenomenon- See The Telegraph - in their headline below from the 25th July 2013:

Briton injured and at least 80 killed in Spanish rail crash
    A British traveller was among more than 100 people injured in a horrific rail crash in northern Spain that left at least 80 dead.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/10201394/Briton-injured-and-at-least-80-killed-in-Spanish-rail-crash.html

Or the Germanwings plane crash of 2015 Israeli perspective:

An Israeli citizen among the dead in Germanwings crash flight

https://www.jerusalemonline.com/an-israeli-citizen-among-the-dead-in-germanwings-crash-flight-12458/

American perspective on the same crash:

Three US citizens among 150 killed in Germanwings crash

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/other/three-us-citizens-among-150-killed-in-germanwings-crash/vi-AAa002u

Pherekydes wrote: »
    I wouldn't say greatest, but we have to be in the top 200, at least.

I'd certainly put us ahead of the Vatican, Saudi Arabia and any other religious sh1tholes.

High praise indeed considering there is only 195 countries in the world!
    http://www.worldometers.info/geography/how-many-countries-are-there-in-the-world/

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Pronto63

I'm highly offended.

I'm heading to my snowflake shelter for a rest!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Pronto63

I think every nation is guilty of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

barrier86 wrote: »
    Tax haven.

Haven yeah? Where can I find a haven from the effective income tax rate of >50c on the € regime* currently employed in Ireland?

*rate you find yourself on if you dare become any more ambitious than stacking supermarket shelves.

janfebmar wrote: »

The alternative view could be that Ireland is the one of the best Catholic countries in the world!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

I’ve been to other countries in Europe where you don’t have scumbags and feral kids loitering and acting the maggot. I’ve also been on trams in Europe where you don’t see junkies/ scumbags. Ireland has gone to the dogs with beggars, junkies, alcoholics and feral kids roaming city streets. The Irish aren’t as polite as other nations, teenagers in particular seem to be a lot more dignified in other countries. Over here teenagers habitually scream, roar and cause mischief.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I’ve been to other countries in Europe where you don’t have scumbags and feral kids loitering and acting the maggot. I’ve also been on trams in Europe where you don’t see junkies/ scumbags. Ireland has gone to the dogs with beggars, junkies, alcoholics and feral kids roaming city streets. The Irish aren’t as polite as other nations, teenagers in particular seem to be a lot more dignified in other countries. Over here teenagers habitually scream, roar and cause mischief.

Went to the Euros in Paris in 2016. Have never seen so many scumbags, junkies and absolutely poverty stricken areas in my life and certainly not to the same extent in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

Not to mention, Irelands biggest export, the people Peter Casey goes on about. I was talking to a businessman abroad and he said they had a break in from errr Irish people of the travelling type.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

High praise indeed considering there is only 195 countries in the world!
    http://www.worldometers.info/geography/how-many-countries-are-there-in-the-world/

The IAAF has 214 members; FIFA has 211; the IOC has 206.

The UN recognises 197.

/shrug

Advertisement