Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we the greatest nation on the planet?

• 16-03-2019 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Pronto63

A day before our National holiday this question must be asked.

Ok we're not perfect, we have our issues but seriously can any other nation punch above their weight like us?

1. Sport. Even though we have 4 main field sports on the island (hurling, GAA, soccer & rugby) we still manage to complete at the highest level in rugby - I know disappointing result today - well done Wales.

2. Literature. Joyce, Beckett, Heaney to name just 3. I know English is our de facto mother language but again we can express ourselves at the highest level.

3. Music. Boyzone, Westlife, U2 again naming 3 that just pop into my head and although I'm a U2 fan I think Bono talks some sh1te.

4. U.N. For a small nation we have an enviable record of UN service well served by our small but throughly professional Defence Forces.

5. What other nation, with the possible exception of the USA has the entire planet celebrate their National Holiday.
    Examples:
    - Saw a piece on morning TV this morning about a Paddy's Day parade in some Japanese city that was in its 3rd year. Complete with loads of little japanese kids dressed in green tryin to do jigs.

- A 1 on 1 with the leader of the free world (God help us!) every year - guaranteed.

- From the Eiffel Tour and Sydney Opera House to Niagra Falls some 290 global landmarks in 50 countries turn green to celebrate OUR national day.

6. The entire population of the planet claim to be Irish on the 17th. And they're allowed on the 17th.

Well?

Are we great or what?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

How could you omit Traveller Culture and Conor McGregor from that comprehensive list?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Yup

• Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Brennans Bread
    Real Butter
    Proper Milk
    Tayto

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

You've ruined your point and the thread with number 3, OP. I was almost feeling patriotic and then you mentioned the musical variants of herpes, chlamydia and gonorrhea.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Pronto63

Brennans Bread
    Real Butter
    Proper Milk
    Tayto

Lyons tea
    Guinness
    Black and white pudding
    Bacon and cabbage
    Hang sandwiches

I forgot our contribution to the world of fine dining
    :D

• Advertisement

• Boyzone, Westlife

Our greatest export.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭barrier86

Tax haven.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭votecounts

Nope, but we are a lot better than some nations.
    Solve the health and housing crisis and then we maybe there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

What about dancin at crossroads?

Pronto63 wrote: »
    Lyons tea
    Whoa whoa whoa. Paddy's Day is tomorrow. Hang back on the booze, you're being unreasonable.

Barry's4Lyf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,364 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Music. Boyzone, Westlife

Our greatest export.
    Not many countries that can export raw sewage in exchange for money.

grindle wrote: »
    You've ruined your point and the thread with number 3, OP. I was almost feeling patriotic and then you mentioned the musical variants of herpes, chlamydia and gonorrhea.

Not a musical post.

What about:
    The Chieftians
    Dubliners
    Horslips

International
    Thin Lizzy
    Cranberries
    Rory Gallagher

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

1. Sport. Even though we have 4 main field sports on the island (hurling, GAA, soccer & rugby) we still manage to complete at the highest level in rugby - I know disappointing result today - well done Wales.

About 8 nations play rugby to an elite standard. We've never progressed beyond a quarter final. I'd say that's a massive underachievement, if anything.

Soccer, we've historically relied on England to develop our players. If you wanna look at nations our size pinching above their weight, try Uruguay or Croatia. Domestically, our National League is either derided or ignored.

Non-sporting but it's embarrassing that the vast majority can't hold a sentence in their own national tongue.

We do punch above our weight in other fields but no need for the hyperbole. All in all, if I were to sum us up, we'd be grand like...

Not a musical post.

What about:
    The Chieftians
    Dubliners
    Horslips

International
    Thin Lizzy
    Cranberries
    Rory Gallagher

Much better, thank you. Now edit the correct tea into your other post.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,350 ✭✭✭corner of hells

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Not many countries that can export raw sewage in exchange for money.

We're pretty talented at exporting large amounts of **** to Australia too at the moment.
    Particularly if you look at the amount of Irish roofers , landscape and tarmac contractors that have made their way there.

grindle wrote: »
    Much better, thank you. Now edit the correct tea into your other post.

No but I will add TK Red Lemonade

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Not by a million miles, half the country emigrated, this is a disgrace. And we are a welfare state, and trying to be progressive, no future for our young, no incentive to work or upskill, Ireland the land of the working poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

votecounts wrote: »
    Nope, but we are a lot better than some nations.
    Solve the health and housing crisis and then we maybe there.

If you think Ireland has a health and housing "crisis" you need to travel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Boyzone, Westlife

Our greatest export.

Only if you ignore Jedward and the tosser in the cream jacket in this historic picture:-

REV_20130615_AFE_002_27927522_I1.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭housetypeb

Breathes there the man, with soul so dead,
    Who never to himself hath said,
    This is my own, my native land!
    Whose heart hath ne’er within him burn’d,
    As home his footsteps he hath turn’d
    From wandering on a foreign strand!
    If such there breathe, go, mark him well;
    For him no Minstrel raptures swell;
    High though his titles, proud his name,
    Boundless his wealth as wish can claim;—
    Despite those titles, power, and pelf,
    The wretch, concentred all in self,
    Living, shall forfeit fair renown,
    And, doubly dying, shall go down
    To the vile dust, from whence he sprung,
    Unwept, unhonour’d, and unsung.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

We're the grandest nation on Earth

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

On holiday in Poland at the moment with the missus and whippersnapper. We were mulling over the idea of maybe going to live in another country and looking at the pros and cons when it hit me that the quality of our food in Ireland is actually quite outstanding. We probably take it for granted but the quality of meat is superb and it's relatively inexpensive. Every foreigner I know including the extended family rave about our butter and it is miles better than anything you can get here. We have a huge range of eggs to choose from. I went to a fairly large chain of shops here today looking for some and all I could get were poor in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,319 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Not by a million miles, half the country emigrated, this is a disgrace. And we are a welfare state, and trying to be progressive, no future for our young, no incentive to work or upskill, Ireland the land of the working poor.

Half the country emigrated but our population increased by one million in the last twenty years. That is some achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gonad

“I think, by declaring a state of emergency, by admitting that a country that trains nurses can’t keep them, that a country that has, tonight, in bed and breakfast accommodation, children who have to get up around six o’clock tomorrow morning, get a bus for an hour, go to school, walk the streets, come back to the bed and breakfast.

“What on earth did we fight for our freedom for? To live in a kip like this

Eamon Dunphy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

The basics of a functioning society are missing, the ones that spring to mind are

A functioning health service
    Decent public transport
    Adequate and affordable private and social housing
    functioning childcare system
    Public Pensions that avoid poverty in retirement

So no. The basics need to be fixed before I’d put us there as a functioning country

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Gonad wrote: »
    “I think, by declaring a state of emergency, by admitting that a country that trains nurses can’t keep them, that a country that has, tonight, in bed and breakfast accommodation, children who have to get up around six o’clock tomorrow morning, get a bus for an hour, go to school, walk the streets, come back to the bed and breakfast.

“What on earth did we fight for our freedom for? To live in a kip like this

Eamon Dunphy

I like Dunphy as much as the next man but that’s a whole load of hyperbolic nonsense.

Every foreigner I know including the extended family rave about our butter

You need to meet more interesting people.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,381 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man."
    - Jebediah Springfield

We are certainly the embiggenist nation on the planet.

In an unfortunate twist of geography we were colonised and subjugated by our nearest neighbour without being totally assimilated or subsumed, but then in a bizarre twist of history our neighbour went on to found the greatest empire in history AND a colony which superseded it as as a global superpower in economics and culture and language spread.

But we'd probably have had a higher total sum of happiness if we'd been say, boring Sweden.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

Half the country emigrated but our population increased by one million in the last twenty years. That is some achievement.

Some achievement for global insustainability?
    Most banana Republics in Africa do better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

This is the only time of the year when Yes is the only acceptable answer

Advertisement