Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cabinet deconstruction killer instinct

• 12-02-2019 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭

Ive been looking for a killer instinct for longer than is sane. So far I have let one slip between my fingers, and for all the other stuff im finding, this cab is proving very, very elusive.

Now I have another opportunity (when it rains...).

The thing that screwed me first time was the realisation it wont fit through the door due to depth. I know the control panel can come off, but it isn't enough (for clarity, it isn't the door frame that's the problem, its some stupid wall/railing right in front of the door.....awkward to explain). I gave up and it was swiped.

Other option is to store it elsewhere, but I don't like that. (but I will if my idea below is a non-runner)

So heres something I haven't considered before: deconstructing the cab?

Just how doable do you think this is, to remove the monitor and literally prise the wooden sides apart? I haven't looked into at all, I don't know these cabinets were constructed (glue and nails?), hidden and out of sight?

Nightmare situation is one side completely snapping.

This is probably too much effort, but what do others think? (Once in place its not going anywhere, so im happy doing this effort once)

I mean, everyone needs THE BEST arcade intro ever (ultra 64!)...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Heres a great video showing off a combo (!) KI 1 and KI 2 in the same cabinet. I want it :)

Skip to 8 minute mark

sugarman wrote: »
    Could you get it through your window? Known a few people who got their window pane taken out to put in a sofa that didn't fit through the door.

Sounds drastic (but so does my other idea!). I'll actually have a look into that :)

Would it be possible to use a couple of toilet plungers? :P

I'll have a much better look at the window when I get a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭remoteboy

I pulled an Electrocoin Xenon apart to get it into my attic bedroom. Cab was 6” wider than staircase so something had to give. Rebuilt in in attic with wood glue. Came together pretty well. They’re basically just funny shaped kitchen cabinets. Was mildly stressful disassembling it though. Kept waiting for something to snap but was handy enough in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

• Advertisement

remoteboy wrote: »
    I pulled an Electrocoin Xenon apart to get it into my attic bedroom. Cab was 6” wider than staircase so something had to give. Rebuilt in in attic with wood glue. Came together pretty well. They’re basically just funny shaped kitchen cabinets. Was mildly stressful disassembling it though. Kept waiting for something to snap but was handy enough in the end.

Very interesting, good to know it's not impossible! I can imagine the nerves as youre prying alright. I'll have to look into the construction of these midway cabinets when I get a chance.

eddhorse wrote: »

That's a very nice cabinet! Is it yours?

I'm all about original stuff though, purist nonsense perhaps.

All I'm missing now is killer instinct and house of the dead, then I'm done. Of course that's "minimum", I'll get a thousand more if I can :p

• Registered Users Posts: 34,283 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Woody cabs need fag burns and and coke residue under the control panel or they're just not legit :D

In fairness to the above, that's the best home build MK2 I've ever seen.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Woody cabs need fag burns and and coke residue under the control panel or they're just not legit :D

In fairness to the above, that's the best home build MK2 I've ever seen.

+100

You need that authentic vibe for sure. You don't want a mess, but just a little indication here or there that it's survived the wars of a million brats reifing the thing to bits. Like a badge of honour!

Perfect example for me is a goliath I picked up recently. Artwork is immaculate, but at some point two ashtrays were installed on either side of the control panel. I'm leaving them as they are, complete with sooted paint :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

People use heat guns to take apart furniture. It would probably be no problem taking it apart. Putting it back together though, hmmm, it probably would never be "right" again. I couldn't see it being a solid rebuild.

• Advertisement

It's a possibility! But that gorilla tape could hold anything together :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,930 ✭✭✭Doge

For some reason I foresee myself in the future putting the MKII artwork over my Arcade1up Street Fighter Cab, with a backlit marquee, using red vinyl tape over the non removable T-molding, and installing a 20" monitor as there's no real vertical bezel art on the original cab.

It's just so much cooler looking than the Street Fighter II cabs.
    Would probably have been cheaper to order a flat pack from Rich's Bartop arcades originally!
    Someone actually put a 20" LCD monitor in the Arcade1UP & Modding Facebook group recently.
    Looks like. White improvement over the stock 17" monitor.

Era I'll probably wait til the monitor dies first!

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

I used a clamp spreader to take the control panel out of a duet cab. There are pics on this forum somewhere. There were only 8x wood dowels and it was simple enough but wouldn't fancy doing an entire cab for fear of doing some major damage to it. Would take you a long time too.

A chap near me has a killer instinct and said he took the window out to get it in.

So that's another one for taking the window out! Starting to look like the way to go.

I haven't come across anyone that owns a killer instinct, you wanna ask that guy if he'd consider selling?

If all goes 100%, I may be looking at 4 or 5 in the next couple days, but always hedge your bets :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Times like this im so happy my garage has a 8ft door ope :D

I do know a window fitter who has taken out windows to get couches into houses etc, so it's not that uncommon. In my opinion a small price to pay to get a KI cab into the house, plus it can never leave then :p

;)

Find out soon. That said, a lot of measurements I'm getting are stating 400lbs weight?! This can't be right, can it? I shifted a 300lb fair enough, but 400 is taking the proverbial.

Can anyone with another midway confirm this craziness? Wargods, mortal kombat etc

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I had a mortal kombat 2. Dunno how much it weighed but it fit in my door no problem. I had it on a trolly. It was heavy alright but moved easily enough.

I have a that MK 2 cab, no monitor in it, it's heavy but I easily move it myself without a trolly, id say it's about 100+kg with a monitor.

Star trek pinball machine is the heaviest machine I own, no problem for 2 people though. Think that is meant to be about 120-130kg

I had a mortal kombat 2. Dunno how much it weighed but it fit in my door no problem. I had it on a trolly. It was heavy alright but moved easily enough.

That's the trick, if its all smoothly rolling on level surface. But this wont be! Definitely a three man job, otherwise it will be this, complete with drum rolls and everything....

Lifting that 4 turtles cabinet was similar, it crushed a trolley and we could barely get it up one step. That's listed as 350lbs. Granted, I forgot to empty the full coin box...

I have a that MK 2 cab, no monitor in it, it's heavy but I easily move it myself without a trolly, id say it's about 100+kg with a monitor.

Star trek pinball machine is the heaviest machine I own, no problem for 2 people though. Think that is meant to be about 120-130kg

Jeez man, I dunno! That sounds pretty light. Even that goliath I moved is listed at 284 lbs, and it was heavier than the punch out that has two monitors.

I think I saw a tnt video where todd was complaining about the weight of midway cabinets, joking that the idea was that if they fell off a truck theyd still be fine.

120kg would be great!

• Advertisement

Just checked there, Star Trek TNG pinball is about 300lbs, so that's 130kg. It seems lighter, although I never had to lift it over my hips so I've been lucky. Getting it up a flight of stairs wouldn't be very easy I'd say

The midway cabs are definitely beasts, they could have been made of different materials over the years.

I'd say for KI definitely hollow it out as much as you can. Get 4 stout men as well, 2 outside and 2 inside. Better safe than sorry. Be bad to damage the cab....be worse to damage the window

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

That’s actually a different one you have , that was a tekken 3 I stripped the artwork off.
    I actually had a complete mk2 I sold to token as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,283 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Jesus ****ing Christ :eek:

This is why candy is king, my Jaleco Pony III, made of full steel, with a 25 inch monitor is 78kg.

I don't know how your feckers move around 120kg+ cabs on a regular basis.

That’s actually a different one you have , that was a tekken 3 I stripped the artwork off.
    I actually had a complete mk2 I sold to token as well.

Ah right, so I'd say the Tekken 3 one is a bit lighter. Still a heffer of a cab though. If a midway is a lot bigger than that then they are absolute monsters.

I actually got a 600lb hand truck the other day so should make things a bit easier

Advertisement