Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Arcade club

• 17-10-2013 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

Hi all,

Myself and two friends are looking to get 10 people together to form a non-profit arcade club.

We are already looking for a premises to rent or get for free in Dublin (more likely an industrial unit) where members can get together or leave their cab's to play, sell or store them. We’d open the unit over the weekend, where members can drop down at anytime to play, tinker about on their systems or arrange a swap meet. Every month, we’d arrange a high score completion on certain games, bring a few beers and have a bit of craic.

We are also looking at importing cab’s into Dublin so that people could go somewhere to play games they have not played in a long time and buy them if you wanted. I’d love nothing better than to fill the unit wall to wall with arcade cab’s :)

Let me know if you're interested. Assuming we get 10 people, we can arrange to meet up somewhere in Dublin to work out the details.

Dex

Comments

make this happen

• Registered Users Posts: 34,392 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I wouldn't bring cabs along to this (Don't have the means and they're a little too precious) - but I've a shed load of PCBs I could bring if people wanted to try them out in their cabs.

Sounds like a great idea anyway, good luck with it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Sounds like a great idea, fair play. I'd have some concerns though:

1) If there's damage caused to a persons cab by someone/anyone while the owner isn't present, who coughs up to fix it?
    2) If the roof falls in or the place floods {remember RAGE?}, who coughs up?
    3) If the place is broken into, or cabs get vandalized etc, who coughs up?

I know its a lot of coughing, but those would be big concerns for me if leaving my cabs in the care of someone else

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Why would I want to leave my cab in some premises in town and only accessible at weekends, when I have 24-7 access to it at home? :confused:

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Why would I want to leave my cab in some premises in town and only accessible at weekends, when I have 24-7 access to it at home? :confused:

I suppose for those who rent/live in apartments etc, who might want to buy a few cabs & have somewhere to put them, it's be handy to be able to buy & collect while you haven't yet moved to a house etc. And for those who simply aren't allowed to keep them at home :D It's also free you up as you'd be able to buy & own some of the bigger cabs that wouldn't fit in the house, the payoff being weekend access only as you mention.

• Advertisement

some people might not have room for a cab.
    Its not as if the place would have to be public.
    if 10 people had 10 cabs it would be cool.
    obviously they wouldnt have to be minters/candies .
    And all guests/members would have to be vouched for
    I believe they have something like it in Belfast.
    east Belfast shooting http://ebshooting.wordpress.com/category/east-belfast-shooting/

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Dexterm99

Myrddin wrote: »
    Sounds like a great idea, fair play. I'd have some concerns though:

1) If there's damage caused to a persons cab by someone/anyone while the owner isn't present, who coughs up to fix it?
    2) If the roof falls in or the place floods {remember RAGE?}, who coughs up?
    3) If the place is broken into, or cabs get vandalized etc, who coughs up?

I know its a lot of coughing, but those would be big concerns for me if leaving my cabs in the care of someone else

Good points,
    Quick answer: personal insurance. We want to keep this a members only club and set up our rules/charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭safetyboy

East Belfast place looks good, anyone up for a venture?

We'd all review weekend access after a couple of months but there should be no reason why we couldn't keep it open more often once we've found the right place.

o1s1n wrote: »
    I wouldn't bring cabs along to this (Don't have the means and they're a little too precious) - but I've a shed load of PCBs I could bring if people wanted to try them out in their cabs.

Sounds like a great idea anyway, good luck with it :)

We could arrange for several cabs to be moved at the same day, therefore bringing the cost of a van rental down considerably. This could be something we factor in every month so it does not cost much.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I suppose for those who rent/live in apartments etc, who might want to buy a few cabs & have somewhere to put them, it's be handy to be able to buy & collect while you haven't yet moved to a house etc. And for those who simply aren't allowed to keep them at home :D It's also free you up as you'd be able to buy & own some of the bigger cabs that wouldn't fit in the house, the payoff being weekend access only as you mention.

Fair enough I guess if such people even exist - forking out money for cabs only to store them outside the home. As for those folks who aren't allowed a cab, I'm guessing they probably aren't allow buy one in the first place! ;)

Anyway, I'm not knocking the venture OP, just not familiar with the concept at all. Will be interesting to see how many of the cab owning regulars here take up the offer. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,392 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Dexterm99 wrote: »
    We could arrange for several cabs to be moved at the same day, therefore bringing the cost of a van rental down considerably. This could be something we factor in every month so it does not cost much.

There's no real incentive for me to do that with my own cabs though. As Andrew76 said, they're in my house so I can play them at any time I want.

There's also another thing I'd have to factor in - damage. And I don't mean on site damage (which is a thing in itself) but damage moving them around.

Cabs aren't made to be moved all over the place. These CRT monitors are old and can suffer breaks in solder joints and (As I was only discussing with The Last Bandit the other day) they're even susceptible to the magnetic forces of the earth.

Then there's superficial damage. When I took delivery of my Jaleco Pony it fell on it's back and has a massive scar down the back of it. So I really think you'll have a hard time getting people to move their cabs out of their house. Especially as the majority of folks around these parts have more expensive Japanese candy cabs.

Don't get me wrong, I think this is a fantastic idea and I would love to be regular at such a thing. (As I was saying, I'd happily bring some PCBs along)

I think your best bet here is to source some standard woodie Jamma cabs for the project. You'll be able to get them cheap. - have a word with Mitchomagic.

If you can get 10 wood cabs (100 each so 1000) that would be an excellent start, you'd have a mini arcade.

Then get some couches, some cheap ass to free CRT TVs from adverts, some popular consoles, maybe even a projector, sound system, some beers...sounds like a good time :D

Fair enough I guess if such people even exist - forking out money for cabs only to store them outside the home. As for those folks who aren't allowed a cab, I'm guessing they probably aren't allow buy one in the first place! ;)

Anyway, I'm not knocking the venture OP, just not familiar with the concept at all. Will be interesting to see how many of the cab owning regulars here take up the offer. Best of luck with it.

Yeah its optimistic to think such people exist & would be willing to buy cabs to store elsewhere alright. I'd five cabs in my shed at one stage, & barely ever used them...how likely am I to want to drive across the city to play them...lazyness always prevails :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I don't think I could stand leaving my AWSD anywhere but in my own house tbh....

I'd five cabs in my shed at one stage, & barely ever used them...

thats why you keep them in the dining room :P

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Snifferson

It would be for the social element and mixing with folks who are into the scene, just just storing cabs. I think it's a great idea Dex.. I have 3 cabs in my Mancave, so it's not about accessing other peoples stuff for me... I get a kick out of fixing, making and repairing them... It would be great to have somewhere to work on a couple of projects, perhaps swap some stuff and learn from other folks.

Retro gaming isn't everyone's scene but those who are into it seem to have a passion... A lot of us were those kids in town shoving 10ps into machine... I spent years as a kid doing that but you play games generally on your your own.. Would be great to come full circle and mix with folks with similar interests and background in the hobby...

I want to build a virtual pinball table....have the techno smarts but am crap at woodwork! Would be great to mix with some folks who have other skills...

Like I said great idea, I would be interested

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Id be interested in this cost depending, I've a defender/multi williams which needs some work that I'd be willing to bring down but my pinball would be staying put in my house

http://www.daft.ie/searchcommercial.daft?id=121606

http://www.daft.ie/searchcommercial.daft?id=78733

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I think, something like this would be great if you get a new cab thats not working. you could leave it here and work on it, fix it up, then when its ready bring it home. I honestly dont think i could move my cabs from my house, they are part of my house now at this stage. no way would i ship them off to a warehouse, its always a risk shipping cabs around. it would be great as an overflow though, a place to store the ones that dont fit in your house and swap them out now and again!

Like a sir!
    481e408c8f500dd86bf771efe1d9d37b_500.jpg
    Wonder if its got a Pantry:)

• Advertisement

481e408c8f500dd86bf771efe1d9d37b_500.jpg
    Wonder if its got a Pantry:)

And some bunks... Useful when my missus Kicks me out for spending time there...

Snip

Snip

As Snifferson says, the social aspect is a real plus for me. I miss people looking over my shoulder as I think I'm king of the world with my high score ;)
    I miss the sight of stacked 10p's as I wait eagerly for my go.

I have one cab already and have the bug to buy more, rotating around when I want.

Now I know cabs are old but were they not designed to be moved? I am a novice with monitors and I'd love to learn how to fix them before this skill is lost forever. Getting us together and helping each other out with our issues would be great. Well be able to keep the cabs going indefinitely!

keithgeo wrote: »
    :p:p:p
    Jayz..lol!!! PDA auto corrects... Gotta love it. Kicks me out of course... Original message modified ;) but hey you live in hope

Dexterm99 wrote: »

Now I know cabs are old but were they not designed to be moved? I am a novice with monitors and I'd love to learn how to fix them before this skill is lost forever. Getting us together and helping each other out with our issues would be great. Well be able to keep the cabs going indefinitely!

You could shake something loose in cab easily going over bumps, or worse neck the back of a monitor, which ive done before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Koralmore1

Hi Guys, I am new and cannot mail Mitchomagic directly until i post 25 times! I dont want to spam so can someone please message him on my behalf. I have a 60 game vertical arcade machine similar to the ones he was selling and I need a small repair (the S1 button is only sometimes responsive and the player 2 stick is a bit tight).

A lot of the games are now unplayable and i would love his repair skills (paying whatever the rate is of course!) Can someone please get him to call me as I have it in a college collecting money for charity and at the moment the only game i can have on it is MsPacman. (no buttons needed)

Tony

where you based?

You should probably edit out your mobile number from that post dude, its a public forum after all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Koralmore1

Thanks Guys,

Think i got some help. I love the machine but honestly havent time to get under the hood at mo. Its based in Ballyfermot.

Thanks for the replies.

Tony.

Advertisement