Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Passenger Lists from Queens Cork to Brooklyn New York

Options
  • 21-08-2011 8:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭

Hiya I am researching my great great Aunts and Uncles that left for America (Brooklyn New York) in the late 1800's I was wondering if anyone has any information on viewing passenger lists online. Preferably free :) Thank you :)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Ancestry has some but they are not free to view :(
    If you can get to one of the big libraries, there's a 6 (I think) volume book of passenger lists. They definitely have it in the Pearse St library on the open shelves.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

depends on the dates...

Ellis Island opened in 1892 : www.ellisisland.org

before that try Castle Garden : http://www.castlegarden.org/

The earlier lists dont have very much detail.

Shane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Thanks for the sites, I found a real detailed manifest of my great granny on EllisIsland :D

Going to renew my subscription on Ancestry soon :D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

That site is amazing i just found a relative that i didn't even know existed goto america! :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I know what you mean :) I found out that a child had been shipped of to America after his mother had an affair with the father's brother :eek: I'm just in the car ready to take off on another lead :D:D There should be a random chat thread in this forum where people can give updates on what they've found :D:D I love reading things like that!

• Advertisement

Asphyxia wrote: »
    I know what you mean :) I found out that a child had been shipped of to America after his mother had an affair with the father's brother :eek: I'm just in the car ready to take off on another lead :D:D There should be a random chat thread in this forum where people can give updates on what they've found :D:D I love reading things like that!

Ya its great its a pity its not like that anymore its such a hassle to immigrate to america now and very few people get to its so unfair. I'd be on the ships straight away!

Wow i just found another one and this is a gg uncle i think? How do i find out were the location is? Hes obviously from ni if it says british.

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/passRecord.asp?MID=04145968790904446848&LNM=CUMMINS&PLNM=CUMMINS&first_kind=1&last_kind=0&TOWN=null&SHIP=null&RF=1274&pID=101293040459

You can see more details on the manifest image. i.e.
    previous address - Hackett's Cottages, Milltown, Dublin
    occupation - car driver
    father - Mr. Cummins

The record is from 1910 - so there was no 'Northern Ireland' at that time

Shane

shanew wrote: »
    You can see more details on the manifest image. i.e.
    previous address - Hackett's Cottages, Milltown, Dublin
    occupation - car driver
    father - Mr. Cummins

The record is from 1910 - so there was no 'Northern Ireland' at that time

Shane

typical. and how someone from dublin qualifies to be british is beyond me but whatever. :rolleyes:

All of Ireland was part of United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland between the act of union in 1800 and the end of 1921. This ended with partition and the creation of the Irish Free State and Northern Ireland.

Shane

• Advertisement

shanew wrote: »
    All of Ireland was part of United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland between the act of union in 1800 and the end of 1921. This ended with partition and the creation of the Irish Free State and Northern Ireland.

Shane

Aw well canny seem to find anyone else which is typical! :rolleyes:

Advertisement