Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

But what about World Toilet Day

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

i havnt looked into it. just what she said. she took the radio host by suprise , and me for that matter.
    why isnt this issue raised more often (if at all)

Yeah, I had a feeling you'd just heard someone say it which is why I wanted to post the numbers. And like El_Duderino 09 said, it tends to be due to the difference in methods used.
    the problem i have with IWD is that they ignore genuine issues like this and focus on men bashing and talking rubbish about pay gaps that dont exist.

nobody would mind IWD if it did this or just celebrated genuinly good women that have achieved something

It doesn't ignore genuine issues. There is quite a lot about the genuine issues. Richard Herring uses the day to tell men who ask when IMD is, and raise money for Refuge in the process. If you see things that are rubbish, it can be good to respond factually, even if you don't change the mind of the person posting it, someone else reading might not buy into the BS. If it's just bashing and people trying to get a rise out of others for the hell of it, it's usually best to ignore it.

Pay gap does exist. Maybe not because someone said 'well you're a woman so we'll pay you x amount less' but because there are underlying issues there that result in this outcome. Things have improved considerably, but those issues still need work.

There are plenty of people and organisations that set out to do exactly that, and still get the "when's international men's day?" other comments complaining about it. For some reason people see it as some sort of competition - and I say that of both men and women.

For some reason when we talk of equality (in any sense), some people seem to believe it means something will be taken from them and get rather defensive, and then a percentage of people on the other side always seem to take things too far which alienates other people. But the majority are actually in the middle and would do a lot better if they just ignored those at the far end of the spectrum on whatever the issue is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Muir wrote: »
    Yeah, I had a feeling you'd just heard someone say it which is why I wanted to post the numbers. And like El_Duderino 09 said, it tends to be due to the difference in methods used.

It doesn't ignore genuine issues. There is quite a lot about the genuine issues. Richard Herring uses the day to tell men who ask when IMD is, and raise money for Refuge in the process. If you see things that are rubbish, it can be good to respond factually, even if you don't change the mind of the person posting it, someone else reading might not buy into the BS. If it's just bashing and people trying to get a rise out of others for the hell of it, it's usually best to ignore it.

Pay gap does exist. Maybe not because someone said 'well you're a woman so we'll pay you x amount less' but because there are underlying issues there that result in this outcome. Things have improved considerably, but those issues still need work.earning gap yes pay gap no. women earn less due to lots of facters that have nothing got to do with gender

There are plenty of people and organisations that set out to do exactly that, and still get the "when's international men's day?" other comments complaining about it. For some reason people see it as some sort of competition - and I say that of both men and women.
    mens day is largly ignored or trivillised . you cannot discus issues that affect us like quotas and gender discrimination in the work force. god help you if you mentioned that 2 major companies have found that it was men that were under payed compared to women

For some reason when we talk of equality (in any sense), some people seem to believe it means something will be taken from them and get rather defensive, and then a percentage of people on the other side always seem to take things too far which alienates other people. But the majority are actually in the middle and would do a lot better if they just ignored those at the far end of the spectrum on whatever the issue is.
    the problem is that we have gone past equallity in some areas and now women are getting preferential treatment.ths is at the cost of men. there are jobs where men cannot even apply for the job and lods where quotas mean that the best person cannot get a job if he happens to be a man.
    as for portraying men as rapinsts a wife bashers , that has to hrm men somehow.

the problem is that we have gone past equallity in some areas and now women are getting preferential treatment.ths is at the cost of men. there are jobs where men cannot even apply for the job and lods where quotas mean that the best person cannot get a job if he happens to be a man.
    as for portraying men as rapinsts a wife bashers , that has to hrm men somehow.

That same attitude is bad for women too. It's not great to be told you'll get a job, not based on your own merit but just on the basis of your gender. My point is that it's about equality and balance for both and some people take it too far in one direction or another. Doesn't mean the majority of us who fall in the middle should stop trying.

And no, it's not right to do that either, and if anyone did so around me I would personally be correcting them.

ovwe all it is bad for women too but some women still benifit from it . there are loads of women in jobs just because they are women and lots of men that should have gotten the job but were discriminated against.

its not alright to assume men are wife bashers but how often is domestic abuse portrayed as a man abusing a women even though all the stat show it closer to 50 ;50 and even more wmoen as the abusers

I missed the bits you put in red the_pen_turner. The reasons are related to gender. For example certain subjects being focused on in all girls and all boys schools. Men also tend to be more forward in looking for higher pay and better positions. The expected behaviours we are taught growing up, usually inadvertently, have a lot to do with it. In the same way that men are still put under so much pressure to be the breadwinner and provide for their family, even though this shouldn't be the case. These things are still very ingrained and so we still need to work to change them.

I made a post about men's day a little earlier in the thread, and I do think a big problem is that men are less likely to talk about the issues that face them. That, in itself, is a problem. I seen a lot of promotion and discussion of issues facing men in the media and by charities on IMD, but men seem to talk about it more on IWD. It does need changing.

I'm involved in mental health, and I promoted IMD without any concern because I knew that no one would dispute the affects of mental health on men or the suicide rates. On IWD, I was far more concerned about not offending anyone with what I said. I really struggled with what the right thing to say was so as not to upset people.

• Advertisement

ovwe all it is bad for women too but some women still benifit from it . there are loads of women in jobs just because they are women and lots of men that should have gotten the job but were discriminated against.

its not alright to assume men are wife bashers but how often is domestic abuse portrayed as a man abusing a women even though all the stat show it closer to 50 ;50 and even more wmoen as the abusers

It's not right. Women are and historically have been discriminated against for jobs, but I don't agree with bringing in quotas which is in my opinion just doing the same thing.

It's not right to assume that, because it's not the case. The numbers aren't close to 50-50 though. Women do suffer more domestic abuse than men, and more violent abuse and are far more likely to be raped and far more likely to be murdered by a male partner or ex partner. No, that doesn't mean all men are abusers or rapists, not even close. And it doesn't mean we don't need to address the fact that it also happens to men, but it is an issue that affects women more than men. In the same was that men are far more likely to complete suicide than women. Doesn't mean it doesn't also hugely affect women, or that all men will kill themselves and no woman will ever commit suicide. I'm not making sweeping generalisations here. Issues affect both, and some affect men more than women and some affect women more than men. Neither make it okay to make assumptions.

I missed the bits you put in red the_pen_turner. The reasons are related to gender. For example certain subjects being focused on in all girls and all boys schools. Men also tend to be more forward in looking for higher pay and better positions. The expected behaviours we are taught growing up, usually inadvertently, have a lot to do with it. In the same way that men are still put under so much pressure to be the breadwinner and provide for their family, even though this shouldn't be the case. These things are still very ingrained and so we still need to work to change them.

I made a post about men's day a little earlier in the thread, and I do think a big problem is that men are less likely to talk about the issues that face them. That, in itself, is a problem. I seen a lot of promotion and discussion of issues facing men in the media and by charities on IMD, but men seem to talk about it more on IWD. It does need changing.

I'm involved in mental health, and I promoted IMD without any concern because I knew that no one would dispute the affects of mental health on men or the suicide rates. On IWD, I was far more concerned about not offending anyone with what I said. I really struggled with what the right thing to say was so as not to upset people.
    those are reasons for an earning gap not a pay gap . there are lots of reasons for earning less . we need to sort out the reasons women dont go for the higher paid jobs or dont go for probotions etc.

the problem is that men dont talk about our problems . we are conditioned (similar conditioning to girls but in other ways) to not show weakness and to provide for the 'weaker' sex. that total BS but its reality
    men dont talk about these things generally

i would like to see where you are seeing mens issues discussed because i dont see it. if anything i see the oposite where men are micked and belittled

those are reasons for an earning gap not a pay gap . there are lots of reasons for earning less . we need to sort out the reasons women dont go for the higher paid jobs or dont go for probotions etc.

the problem is that men dont talk about our problems . we are conditioned (similar conditioning to girls but in other ways) to not show weakness and to provide for the 'weaker' sex. that total BS but its reality

i would like to see where you are seeing mens issues discussed because i dont see it. if anything i see the oposite where men are micked and belittled

It's still a pay gap.

I agree, men are conditioned not to talk about their problems and it's BS.

IMD was definitely in the media (newspapers, radio etc.) and every mental health charity I know of was raising awareness of men's issues (and reguarly do throughout the year). The Irish Times actually asked men to submit issues that face them (the downsides of being a man) so that they could highlight them (they gave examples like men being concerned about approaching women or walking behind them on the street). There were TED talks, father's right campigners, women's rights campaigners, sports teams. There's a website specifically for it and they had an image circulating with statistics that affect men like suicide rates, homeless rates, homicide victim rates etc. If you search social media for the date with the hashtags like #internationalmensday there are thousands of results. And from looking through myself I haven't seen a single negative one so far, which is quite a contrast to IWD. There's Movember for the whole month of November which I actually think has done an amazing job of getting men involved (particularly young men) in talking about and fundraising for issues affecting men.

There are specific groups and charities for men's issues too. I think most people will have heard of men's sheds, there's a national men's health program, there's amen for male victims of domestic abuse, men's health forum, a lot of research studies in the area. There's also a men's health week in June run by MHFI and supported by Healthy Ireland, the HSE and HSC Public Health Agency.

I couldn't possibly sit and list it all to you, but there's loads out there. And if there's something you feel strongly about, then get involved too. Maybe it's fundraising for a charity, maybe it's checking in on your male friends or relatives, or sharing the signs of prostate cancer, or links of where to get support. (that isn't just specifically at you the_pen_turner, I obviously have no idea what you do or don't do in relation to raising awareness of issues facing men). Just, if you are someone who thinks no one is promoting it or doing anything about it, ask yourself what are you doing, and if it's nothing then why not do something? Even if it's just a little thing. You doing something might inspire someone else, and all those little things add up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

biko wrote: »
    What I'm thinking is - who nominates all these days?
    Is there an institute that says, "right, we don't have a World Laptop Day, let's make it 4th of June"?

Possibly. Canada literally just made "Family Day" up out of thin air quite recently because they reckoned they didn't have enough holidays over their cold winters.

They're right too though! It very regularly goes below -30 with wind chill, today was the first time I've seen large chunks of grass in close to two months, barring one day in early Feb and another four hour window about three weeks back. And I'm in by a fair distance the most southern part of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I was reading yesterday that international men's day is more talked about on social media and searched on google on the 8th of March than it is on any other day of the year - including international men's day. It's because so many people sarcastically ask when international men's day is on international women's day. It's been around since the early 90s, it's talked about in the papers and on the radios and promoted quite a bit, particularly by mental health charities with men being affected by such high suicide rates.

It seems like men aren't as inclined to talk about it or do anything to promote it or celebrate it, which I think is a pity because there are a number of issues that exclusively or predominantly affect men. Men seem to feel less able to talk about their issues (for example men are less likely to seek help with mental health). I wonder if that's what has an impact on them being less likely to talk about international men's day, or really even recognise it. It's been around a long time and yet so many seem to genuinely not know it exists.

I know this is AH, and there'll probably be a few thinking that we hear about international women's day because women never shut up or something to that affect. But I do think it's an issue that men aren't recognising a day that's all about raising awareness for issues facing them, and if you're a man who doesn't talk about those things, maybe it's worth considering why not.

International Woman's Day is celebrated by the UN. International Men's Day is observed in 80 countries. There's a bit of a disparity there that explains why there's get less awareness of the Men's day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,919 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I think men spend a lot of time belittling the notion of IMD which is a great opportunity to get information out to a broad audience

As for the first point about men being conditioned elook out for the weaker sex. It's everywhere. Men being told they should open doors for women (as opposed to opening the door for someone when it makes sense). I was in a restaurant for a mate's birthday on Friday lunchtime and I waited for the 2 women to order before I ordered. Only after I thought that's part of the problem.

It's nice to open doors and allow women to order first but does it only really makes sense in the world where women need extra consideration because men need to look out for the weaker sex? I'm still making up my mind on that point so I'll ask some mates in work today.

It's necessary to question conditioning. Doesn't mean we need to throw out everything but everything should be questioned

McGaggs wrote: »
    International Woman's Day is celebrated by the UN. International Men's Day is observed in 80 countries. There's a bit of a disparity there that explains why there's get less awareness of the Men's day.
    That's interesting but IMD is in this country and lots of men on boards will talk about how international men's day is a stupid notion.

what really drives me mad is loads of people in the media that when asked when is mens day they all trot out the line 'sur isnt every dau mens day' how is that right. its factually incorect especially given that women are equell in most areas and ahead in the others.

It's still a pay gap.

I agree, men are conditioned not to talk about their problems and it's BS.

IMD was definitely in the media (newspapers, radio etc.) and every mental health charity I know of was raising awareness of men's issues (and reguarly do throughout the year). The Irish Times actually asked men to submit issues that face them (the downsides of being a man) so that they could highlight them (they gave examples like men being concerned about approaching women or walking behind them on the street). There were TED talks, father's right campigners, women's rights campaigners, sports teams. There's a website specifically for it and they had an image circulating with statistics that affect men like suicide rates, homeless rates, homicide victim rates etc. If you search social media for the date with the hashtags like #internationalmensday there are thousands of results. And from looking through myself I haven't seen a single negative one so far, which is quite a contrast to IWD. There's Movember for the whole month of November which I actually think has done an amazing job of getting men involved (particularly young men) in talking about and fundraising for issues affecting men.

There are specific groups and charities for men's issues too. I think most people will have heard of men's sheds, there's a national men's health program, there's amen for male victims of domestic abuse, men's health forum, a lot of research studies in the area. There's also a men's health week in June run by MHFI and supported by Healthy Ireland, the HSE and HSC Public Health Agency.

I couldn't possibly sit and list it all to you, but there's loads out there. And if there's something you feel strongly about, then get involved too. Maybe it's fundraising for a charity, maybe it's checking in on your male friends or relatives, or sharing the signs of prostate cancer, or links of where to get support. (that isn't just specifically at you the_pen_turner, I obviously have no idea what you do or don't do in relation to raising awareness of issues facing men). Just, if you are someone who thinks no one is promoting it or doing anything about it, ask yourself what are you doing, and if it's nothing then why not do something? Even if it's just a little thing. You doing something might inspire someone else, and all those little things add up.

its great to see that. but if you leave out mental health out of it ( they do a good job with that), what other issues are raised.
    fathers rights a small bit but they wont talk freely about it incase they ofend the permenantly offended.

wouldnt dare talk about gender quotas

etc
    etc

as for the pay gap. it is total bs . there is a hugh diference between a wage gap and a pay gap. per hour men and women are paid the same for the same work. only cases to show a pay gap are google and bbc who both increased mens hourly pay.

there are lots of reasons women earn less but thats not the fault of sexism

McGaggs wrote: »

It's not officially recognised but the UN, which I don't agree with, but they also promoted it. I don't think that has anything to do with the awareness. People, for the most part, aren't listening to the UN. They're listening to the media and they're listening to the people around them. I think one of the main issues is that men are less likely to talk, and it's a problem.
    its great to see that. but if you leave out mental health out of it ( they do a good job with that), what other issues are raised.
    fathers rights a small bit but they wont talk freely about it incase they ofend the permenantly offended.

wouldnt dare talk about gender quotas

etc
    etc

as for the pay gap. it is total bs . there is a hugh diference between a wage gap and a pay gap. per hour men and women are paid the same for the same work. only cases to show a pay gap are google and bbc who both increased mens hourly pay.

there are lots of reasons women earn less but thats not the fault of sexism

It is the fault of sexism. There are women being paid less hourly in the same role as men. One big issue is that a woman is looked on unfavourably for asking for a payrise, a man isn't. There is sexism for both men and women, and it's an attitude and culture that have been around a long time and it takes time to change. It is changing, and that's great, but it doesn't change by people claiming it doesn't exist when studies show it does. There are studies showing that women are more productive than men in the workplace. They earn less per hour for the same work. Those are facts, research them if you like, or choose to to believe something else, it doesn't change the reality that it exists.

There are loads of groups for father's rights. They talk openly. The Irish Cancer society cover a lot on men's health, I don't just mean mental health. The health week in June is about all aspects of men's health. A lot of people talk about gender quotas. Movember focuses a lot on the cancers that only affect men. Many articles and talks are based around sexism faced by men, the fact that things like the #metoo movement can make many men feel afraid to even approach a woman. I know there are a lot of people who think Blindboy from the Rubberbandits is ridiculous, but whatever your opinion is, he reaches a large audience of people and addresses issues that face men.

I focus a lot on mental health because it's my area and it's what I pay most attention to, but there's loads out there if you look. And if there's a gap, why don't you (again not just you specifically, but anyone reading) fill it? You can't complain and hope someone else is going to fix it, or you can but be aware that you'll likely be a long time waiting. But usually when one person steps forward to do/say something, you find that there are a lot more people who agree ready to help too.

It's not officially recognised but the UN, which I don't agree with, but they also promoted it. I don't think that has anything to do with the awareness. People, for the most part, aren't listening to the UN. They're listening to the media and they're listening to the people around them. I think one of the main issues is that men are less likely to talk, and it's a problem.

It is the fault of sexism. There are women being paid less hourly in the same role as men. One big issue is that a woman is looked on unfavourably for asking for a payrise, a man isn't. There is sexism for both men and women, and it's an attitude and culture that have been around a long time and it takes time to change. It is changing, and that's great, but it doesn't change by people claiming it doesn't exist when studies show it does. There are studies showing that women are more productive than men in the workplace. They earn less per hour for the same work. Those are facts, research them if you like, or choose to to believe something else, it doesn't change the reality that it exists.

There are loads of groups for father's rights. They talk openly. The Irish Cancer society cover a lot on men's health, I don't just mean mental health. The health week in June is about all aspects of men's health. A lot of people talk about gender quotas. Movember focuses a lot on the cancers that only affect men. Many articles and talks are based around sexism faced by men, the fact that things like the #metoo movement can make many men feel afraid to even approach a woman. I know there are a lot of people who think Blindboy from the Rubberbandits is ridiculous, but whatever your opinion is, he reaches a large audience of people and addresses issues that face men.

I focus a lot on mental health because it's my area and it's what I pay most attention to, but there's loads out there if you look. And if there's a gap, why don't you (again not just you specifically, but anyone reading) fill it? You can't complain and hope someone else is going to fix it, or you can but be aware that you'll likely be a long time waiting. But usually when one person steps forward to do/say something, you find that there are a lot more people who agree ready to help too.

I would like to see one example where a women is paid less hourly for the same job but with the same experience and benefit to the company.

There maybe a few people raising mens issues but it isn't raised in mainstream media. At least not where I see it.
    I wish more men would stand up but we can't for fear of being singled out and suffer a witch hunt from a few

I would like to see one example where a women is paid less hourly for the same job but with the same experience and benefit to the company.

There maybe a few people raising mens issues but it isn't raised in mainstream media. At least not where I see it.
    I wish more men would stand up but we can't for fear of being singled out and suffer a witch hunt from a few

It is raised in mainstream media. Go look for yourself.

Nursing, men earn 2% more than women.
    Software Dev - 4%.
    And there are many other examples. And that doesn't take into account productivity. Or the fact that the gap widens when you see that women are pushed and educated more towards certain careers (as are men). And women are less likely to end up in higher positions in the workplace, because women are discouraged from doing so. So women earn less, due to sexism. If you want any more information on that, google it.

I heard multiple women sarcastically asked "when's international men's day?" for mentioning that their son took them for a meal for IWD or sharing information about some inspirational women. And some people do reply and say stupid things like "it's every day" which I don't agree with. But I imagine much of that is out of frustration at the fact that instead of celebrating IMD, or men's health week, or movember, some men choose to take the time to try to belittle women for having an IWD instead. If all those same men did one little thing to promote men's issues, there would be considerably more promotion of men's issues. I promote IMD and have never heard a negative comment about it, but I hear them constantly for IWD.

Some people will always make comments. It tends to be best to ignore them and speak up anyway. That's what everyone who has ever wanted change has had to do. But I think you'll find that there are a considerably large number of people on board with speaking out about men's issues ready to back you up.

I think this conversation is getting a bit circular now so I'm not going to continue. There are loads of examples and studies that you can look into for statistics if you're interested, and plenty of articles and talks in mainstream media. Like I've said, if you think something is missing, do something about it. And maybe give me a shout if you do and there's something I can do to help too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

8/10 suicides in Ireland are men. I don't really get where you're going with this?

More women than men attempt suicide, but men have a higher "success rate" (I hate calling it that) at taking their own lives.

This is because women statistically choose slower methods that have a higher intervention opportunity, because it takes them longer to pass away. Overdosing on pills or cutting wrists is more common in women.

Men statistically are more likely to hang themselves, which means unless someone intervenes within a few critical minutes, they are beyond saving.

Its actually very sad when you think about it.

[quote=the_pen_turner;109658321[
    I wish more men would stand up but we can't for fear of being singled out and suffer a witch hunt from a few[/quote]

I can think of a few men who talk about mental health and the vitriolic reaction to them is incredible. Blindboy is one example. Niall Breslin is another who I've seen get completely unreasonable abuse on boards. Not from women trying trimg to prevent men's issues being discussed. By men who call those who do talk about it "pussies". "Mangina" and cucks, only in it for the money and to boost their own profile.

Men who make a point of discussing that really important issue need to be willing to take unimaginable personal abuse from other men.

I always make a point of supporting blokes who discuss mens issues.

Advertisement