Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where's good for late night photos Turlough Hill/Blessington Lakes/Glendalough area?

Options
  • 12-02-2019 2:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Looking for somewhere good for late night photos Turlough Hill/Blessington Lakes/Glendalough area. Shall be heading late, so most of the "usual" carparks that I'd use for day shots will be closed, but I'm wondering if there's any public carparks/places that I should avoid, due to shenanigans, or "late night car meets" (not sure if this is still a thing?), as they'd generate light.

Why down there, you may ask? Looking at darksitefinder.com, the amount of light pollution there is meant to be low, so worth the trip if there are no clouds.

Got a Karl Gener 35mm 1:2.8 manual lens, and the below (30 second) shot was taken with it from the grounds of Carton House, so a decent bit of light pollution. Am hoping the Turlough Hill/Blessington Lakes/Glendalough area would have less light pollution. A friend is hoping to get some night shots with his telescope.

v2?user_id=21227983&webp=true&sig=d8ceae29c66b88a0373103d30a314505e9ef75ce925b279a2adec5b2663e123e

Anyone have any recommendations of places to park at night for said area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

A fair few options. Glendalough lakes is fine once you just keep an eye out. Wouldn't go somewhere really though that you have to go more than 10 mins from the car really.

Lots of night sky stuff over on my insta if you want to have a look - https://www.instagram.com/irishskies/

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Wouldn't go somewhere really though that you have to go more than 10 mins from the car really.
    Unless the car was hidden, I wouldn't even go that far.

Liking the photo you did with the stars reflection in the lake :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Trooperstown car park is the darkest spot in that area. Went there a few times with camera and telescope. Great location. You can plant everything next to the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

Full disclosure - I have only done this once.

Last August I spent the night (from 11.30pm to 8.00am) in Glendalough.

I parked in the main car park, beside some camper vans for safety, and went walking as far as the upper lake. Never met a single person and got some reasonable shots. There is light pollution but its not too bad.

I posted some shots on my 500px account, either side of this image.

https://500px.com/photo/269518005/starlit-sky-above-the-upper-lake-by-adrian-sadlier?ctx_page=2&from=user&user_id=161420

It was my first time trying night/astrophotography and I will definitely do it again, but probably in Kerry where there are some really great locations with minimal light pollution.

re the lens, 35mm on a full frame camera will allow a maximum 14 second exposure before you get "trails". A 14mm will allow a maximum 35 seconds (although I found around 25 seconds to be better). Its helps keep the ISO lower. I think the formula for max exposure duration is 500/focal length (full frame).

Adrian

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

re the lens, 35mm on a full frame camera will allow a maximum 14 second exposure before you get "trails". A 14mm will allow a maximum 35 seconds (although I found around 25 seconds to be better). Its helps keep the ISO lower. I think the formula for max exposure duration is 500/focal length (full frame).

You can convert crops to ff equivalent and use the same formula. 35mm on crop is 56mm, 8.9s max exposure.

I really need to upgrade body.... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Glendalough youth hostel, about 10 mins drive from the lake car park.
    I work for the organisation, if you drop me a PM before you go ill let the manager know your on the way.
    It has a off street car park and a nice big dark field at the back

Advertisement