Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

My favourite part of the interview was when SOR asked her specifically, what she holding in her hands. Rather than answer the simple question, she decided to go off on a tangent about her belief in the four courts. SOR asked her the question again but she decided to continue bull****ting. Surely she must have known that not answering simple questions like that makes her look deceitful.

The biggest question is though, why did she think that it was a good idea to go on National Radio in the first place, especially when she wasn't prepared to clear things up, apologise or admit any sort of responsibility. Talk about not taking heed of the backlash. Did she think that anyone would sympathise with her defensive bull**** jargon? I guess she really was that deluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

Think she’s from Mary Mitchell O Conners constituency which makes sense as it sounds like she was prepped for that interview by her

“Just refuse to take responsibility for anything, blame everyone around you, claim there’s a conspiracy, go off on random tangents to make out you’re a victim and just do your best to sound like an entitled idiotic prick, regardless of the evidence or facts.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Absolutely hilarious interview, she's seething that she had to drop the case but she is so far up her own hole she refused to answer even basic questions:

O'Rourke - "In what way do you believe the hotel was negligent in this?"

Bailey - "Sean that would have been for a judge to adjudicate, that is not for you or me".

......right so the judge has to make Maria Bailey's case for her then :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

I'll be honest and go slightly against the polished grain.

It seems a daft thing to have in a pub / hotel.

Also - there is a massive difference between a real genuine injury and a fake claim - seems to be lost in story.

Daft - No

Unique - Yes

In the age of social media, those swings whether we like it or not are a massive asset for the place as the amount of pics that go up online with the establishment tagged is a real marketing/advertising tool for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Christ that is a disaster....she has to go surely? I'd say the party will be putting huge pressure on her.
    She is now claiming she only wanted medical expenses of 6k.....sure......entitled entitled entitled

Sean ORourke was fair with her tbh she just came across horrendously and entitled.

I didn't know she went to a gig the day after....lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

The fact that she has now been caught out is great and we're all having a great time having a laugh at how pathetic this greedy TD was.

What should really come out of this now though is for some sort of action to be taken against her (or can it?)

Given her somewhat high profile, she made the papers given the ridiculous/lubricious claim but what sort of message does that send to someone who is very much low profile? A chancer and there are plenty of them will continue to make false claims and get away with it if A) they're successful and get loads of money & B) if unsuccessful, nothing happens to either party bar maybe a few people knowing you're a chancer?

Surely if you make a claim and then back down because its simply not true, action should be taken against you?

Farce this claims culture is seen as an easy way out to make a few quid

Taking these claims seem like a no wager big win gamble. But surely she will have to pay her own legal expenses?
    Can the hotel counter sue for their own legal expenses and incurred cost of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,909 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

I'll be honest and go slightly against the polished grain.

It seems a daft thing to have in a pub / hotel.

Also - there is a massive difference between a real genuine injury and a fake claim - seems to be lost in story.

See did run 10km in a similar time to the previous year, and faster than the year before than. Also managed to attend a music festival soon after her 7k worth of medical bills injury. I'd be leaning towards more a fake claim than genuine injury

• Registered Users Posts: 20,736 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Daft - No

Unique - Yes

In the age of social media, those swings whether we like it or not are a massive asset for the place as the amount of pics that go up online with the establishment tagged is a real marketing/advertising tool for them.

Again - I know this won't go down well.

But they do look a bit dangerous - even photo there you could see how your COG could shift.

Drink in the mix they look a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

She clearly felt the "I was hurt" and "I was bullied" lines would play on people's sympathies.

But what comes across more than anything in that interview is a sense of entitlement.
    And a refusal to answer some key questions to help clear the matter up. She's done nothing to restore any credibility.

I got so irritated by her I skipped through a lot of the second half. Can anyone tell me did she even address some of the crucial questions?

Like why was the claim for €60K if you were only looking for medical costs covered?

Saying you amended the figure on documents later isn't an appropriate answer.
    Why did you submit the claim at such a high figure in the first instance?

And if only medical expenses were sought, why was this claim taken to the Circuit court?

But hey, why address these issues when you can just whinge about humanity being crossed (Wtf??), online trolls, bullying........yawn!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Standard RTE sticking up for the dodgy poltician....shower of f**kers as well

So trying to blame other politicians....she is a joke.

Lies lies and more lies....not a word of truth from her.

The plaintiff has a right to change, make up more bulls**t before it goes to court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

But they do look a bit dangerous - even photo there you could see how your COG could shift.

No more dangerous than this

durlandsalmje2950.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Annd9

Sor - You ran a 10k race in a pretty decent time .
    MB - Not for me .

I can't actually describe that level of arrogance , astonishing stuff .

If FG dont boot the idiot then they are making a show of themselves

I have a 6, 4 and 2 year old, they can use a f**king swing. You would want to be a pure gob***t to not be able to use it

Falling off it afterwards and trying to sue someone because of it makes you a crooked gobs**t

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Regina Doherty sounded thoroughly unimpressed on SOR after Bailey's interview, and she'd be fairly high in the Fine Gael hierarchy. Bailey's days are numbered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Zeek12 wrote: »
    She clearly felt the "I was hurt" and "I was bullied" lines would play on people's sympathies.

But what comes across more than anything in that interview is a sense of entitlement.
    And a refusal to answer some key questions to help clear the matter up. She's done nothing to restore any credibility.

I got so irritated by her I skipped through a lot of the second half. Can anyone tell me did she even address some of the crucial questions?

Like why was the claim for €60K if you were only looking for medical costs covered?

And if only medical expenses were sought, why was this claim taken to the Circuit court?

But hey, why address these issues when you can just whinge about humanity being crossed (Wtf??), online trolls, bullying........yawn!

Never addressed one, it was victim, victim, victim the whole way through and she even sunk as low as to play the sexism card:

"I am a strong female politican and some people don't like that"

Absolutely pathetic!

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    If FG dont boot the idiot then they are making a show of themselves

Election potentially in June or September.
    FG would be nuts to run her again so soon after this.

She should have enough sense to step aside herself really......then again, when has common sense prevailed in any of this!

Election potentially in June or September.
    FG would be nuts to run her again so soon after this.

She should have enough sense to step aside really.....then again, when has common sense prevailed in any of this!

Have you listened to the interview? she is a pure wagon

Think she is 100% right and everyone else are a shower of f**kers....

Throwing in a working mum etc etc etc.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Regina Doherty sounded thoroughly unimpressed on SOR after Bailey's interview, and she'd be fairly high in the Fine Gael hierarchy. Bailey's days are numbered.

I put my 15 month old in a sit in swing yesterday and she held on, my child is smarter than a TD. Wonder could I get a bumper sticker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

You're right, it won't go down well. It's a swing ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Daft - No

Unique - Yes

Sophies is a more classy joint. If it was in Coppers down the road it would be a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I used to wonder how a 43 year would need supervision and instructions on how to use a swing.

Now I'm just wondering how it took her 43 years to get in the news for something like this.

The interview is amazing :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,736 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Anyone who thinks that swing is a good idea in a pub would want to have their head examined .

She would have won her case for sure.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Have you listened to the interview? she is a pure wagon

Think she is 100% right and everyone else are a shower of f**kers....

Throwing in a working mum etc etc etc.....

Yeah, I hear you.

But she's gonna take some abuse if/when she canvasses for election.

It's an indictment of how out of touch she is if (for her own sake) she can't even recognize that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

That is truly car crash radio

• Registered Users Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Sit a two year old on a swing like that and their two little hands will instinctively reach for the rope and grab it .
    Poor Marias instincts must be impaired

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Also playing the "strong woman" line is great considering she got injured because she was unsupervised and there was no instructions supplied for a swing :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

lads, you should have given me a warning about this clip! Ive nearly choked on my dinner several times!!! this was the best one though "what about people who say you might not be fit to represent FG, as it as party of integrity and doing the right thing"

SOR bring's up Ratadkar, that joke has more to answer for, than she ever will!

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL! I'm just after picking myself up off the floor!!!!

Having listened to that RTÉ Drivetime piece on the way home, with her SOR interview this morning played, she's well and truly down now. At the very, very best it's a series of bad judgements, including going on SOR today.

AH response: Time to kick her even harder!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,376 ✭✭✭KevRossi

golfball37 wrote: »
    He does know her- Sean's wife is on the staff of Charlie Flanagan. Small country full of vested interests. No wonder he didn't pursue the 60k question when she twice said she only wanted to recoup her medical expenses.

I don't listen to him every day, but I've never had the impression that SOR goes easy on any particular political party or group of politicians. As someone said above, he knew it was a car crash, he just handed her more fuel for the fire, she did all the damage herself.

That's a master of an interviewer, compare that to the bumbling pathetic antics of some of his colleagues like Joe Duffy, Tubridy and D'Arcy (all who are paid way more than him).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement