Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

WW1 Medals / Service

• 28-03-2016 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

Hi folks,

My great grandfather served in the Royal Dublin Fusiliers and spent most of WW1 in Linburg(sic?) POW camp. It seems he was awarded at least one medal for his troubles but nobody knows what happened to them. In fact, I'm not entirely sure if my grandfather knew that his father had been a POW during the war. There seems to have been a bit of an air of secrecy surrounding a number of things in the family, including this.

Basically, what I'm wondering is how would one go about trying to track those medals down? i.e was the name printed on the medals? I know it's probably like looking for a needle in a haystack, but sure stranger things have happened! ;)

Also, I know this is a little subjective, but generally was it considered shameful or something to have served in the British Army? It just strikes me as odd that it doesnt seem to have been discussed at all. And when my Great Grandfather died in the 70s, his wife, my Great Grandmother, refused an offer from the British Army for assistance with his funeral :confused:

Any insight whatsoever will be gratefully received :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Names were printed on medals but I don't know if they would reissue them for you. Have you asked other branches of your family?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

-Leelo- wrote: »
    Also, I know this is a little subjective, but generally was it considered shameful or something to have served in the British Army?
    Before May 1916 no, after May 1916 yes. It (turned into) a longggg story...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Before May 1916 no, after May 1916 yes. It's a longggg story...

Heh! You could fill a library with the volumes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭TOMP

After the war medals were often sold off by families to junk shops / antique shops because they wanted to put the past behind them and get some cash in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's a sign we have matured as a nation that we can honour these men now. Irishness comes in many flavours, colours, religions and orientations - as in a proper Republic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

As a soldier who served in WWI he could have been awarded three medals - see here. His name - usually an initial followed by surname and service number would have been imprinted on the obverse of the star. I don't agree that the medals were sold - they had no monetary value because there were so many of them issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭-Leelo-

Thanks Folks!

It's very possible that they could be with someone in the extended family, my grandfather had 5 brothers so it's possible that one of his brothers had them in his possession. Only my grandfather and one of his brothers married and had children (as far as we know) so they could be with his brothers family now. I'd like to think they were still in the Ronan amily somewhere! Apparently after my great grandmother died a suitcase full of photos / letters etc. went missing from her home, it's possible they were in there. Kills me to think that stuff probably just ended up in a dump somewhere :(

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Free-2-Flow

-Leelo- wrote:
    It's very possible that they could be with someone in the extended family, my grandfather had 5 brothers so it's possible that one of his brothers had them in his possession. Only my grandfather and one of his brothers married and had children (as far as we know) so they could be with his brothers family now. I'd like to think they were still in the Ronan amily somewhere! Apparently after my great grandmother died a suitcase full of photos / letters etc. went missing from her home, it's possible they were in there. Kills me to think that stuff probably just ended up in a dump somewhere

I'm in the same boat as you

• Registered Users Posts: 13 On Dive

I found one of my grand uncle's medals in my parents house. I discovered by accident that a collector had the second one. When I contacted him, he very kindly sold it me. The search continues for the third.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

I have 3 of my Grandad's medals. He was also awarded the Silver Star (for injured soldiers who were discharged with no visible signs of injury).
    This particular medal is missing, I made enquiries a couple of years ago about having it re-issued. At the time is would have cost over £200 so I'm still searching.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

My grandfather's uncle was a boxer and Royal Marine. Through his military service and his boxing career, he earned quite the collection of medals and cups. Would love to know if any are still in existence. As it is, I just have the one medal for first prize in a fencing competition, which someone randomly found on a beach in England while metal-detecting.

Advertisement