Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wimp list ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭dermo1990

Cycled into college the last 2 days...I didn't think the rain was that bad, could've done without the headwind this morning. I really should buy overshoes

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

(Beasty - I relieved you of the burden of one of your KOMs a couple of weeks ago! :))
    I noticed that - don't worry, it's on my "to do" list :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

I wimped out due to sickness :( The wind is a lot worse today..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭buffalo

This morning was definitely the worst so far. Torrential. Wore my waterproof socks, but they just kept the water in rather than out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Poxy rain waited until the final km before giving me a good soaking. Should have not gone looking for my gloves :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Walnutsink

Cycled yesterday, great fun but I er woke up late this morning so had no option other than to take the car!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Idleater wrote: »
    Poxy rain waited until the final km before giving me a good soaking. Should have not gone looking for my gloves :rolleyes:

I know that feeling. You're nearly home and laughing at how lucky you've been to stay dry only to get soaked in the last few 100 meters!

I took the motorbike in these last 3 days :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

Me and 247 other cyclists had cycled past the Grand canal bike counter thing at 8.33am this morning.
    I thought this morning was the easiest, altura pocket rocket jkt, berghaus paclite trousers, sealskinz gloves and bbb waterflex overboots always get me to work warm and dry through 10km of wind and downpours.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I wimped out on my 6am run. Still cycled in though. Definitely the wettest morning today, though a little warmer than the last two days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

MB Lacey wrote: »
    Me and 247 other cyclists had cycled past the Grand canal bike counter thing at 8.33am this morning.
    I thought this morning was the easiest, altura pocket rocket jkt, berghaus paclite trousers, sealskinz gloves and bbb waterflex overboots always get me to work warm and dry through 10km of wind and downpours.

I was number 80 at 08:00 on Rock Road..

That was before the torrential rain about 8.15..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,781 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

t'bear wrote: »
    Damn it all. I can't stand it anymore. I am cycling in the morning

Well did ya? I wussed out.
    Beasty wrote: »
    Not sure if the good bike's Di2 battery would survive being submerged a few times.

It would be grand
    After riding through the flood, I also learned that my Shimano Dura Ace Di2 groupset is 100% waterproof!

from here

seamus wrote: »
    Definitely the wettest morning today.

I thought the same, that is why I'm sitting here at my desk lovely and dry. Car needs a good wash now though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Grand cycle in this morning, leggings bib shorts, merino top and rain jacket. Road flooded just outside Ashbourne, so I wasn't going to get any wetter after that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Idleater wrote: »
    Poxy rain waited until the final km before giving me a good soaking.

Same here!...Almost made it! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Left the house at about 5am and got to work at 5.45. 30.5km.a nice Tailwind but turned into a nasty sidewind at the back of the airport Work outdoors so didn't mind getting wet. But it was remarkably warm. Had a long sleeve jersy. A gore windstopper gilet and a gore rainjacket and ended up unzipping the rain jacket until the last 1.5km when the bible realesed one of its showers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭lennymc

i need to htfu!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Cycled from Ticknock yesterday and today. Realised straight away that the wind was going to be a problem. Had some absolute eejits try cross the road by the AIB in Clonskeagh while traffic was stopped but lights still green. Had to dive in between an elderly woman who led the charge across the road and someone else who followed behind them. Was so close to them I ended up ducking beneath their umbrellas!

Which brings me onto my question. Is there anything I can do to make my brakes a bit more effective in the wet? The rim is slipping an awful lot. I got new brake pads just last week and getting my new commuter bike within 2 weeks so don't want to spend too much.

I did give myself an awful scare though today. I just hope I gave them a big enough scare too so they don't walk out without looking again!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

AdMMM wrote: »
    Which brings me onto my question. Is there anything I can do to make my brakes a bit more effective in the wet?
    Cycle more slowly. Your stopping distance will reduce. More seriously though, there are a few wet-specific pads you can get, which aren't a bad investment in winter.

Amazes me the number of commuters though hammering down the roads these mornings on the inside and outside of the traffic. Heavy traffic is one thing, but heavy traffic + rain means that most drivers care about nothing except finding a gap somewhere they can dive into, they don't care who or what may be coming down the road. Sure my commute was five minutes slower this morning, but I had no brown pants incidents unlike a couple of other commuters I saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

stevieob wrote: »
    Well did ya? I wussed out.

:(

Yup, and the longer of my two routes too, got a bit of splash is all, the last 20m it started pretty heavy...but that doesnt count. But the wind direction now is against me for 13 of the 15k home. Head down and turn those pedals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Aren't big puddles great - nothing like freewheeling through them at speed to bring out the inner 10 year old!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭buffalo

AdMMM wrote: »
    I did give myself an awful scare though today. I just hope I gave them a big enough scare too so they don't walk out without looking again!

Get a bell. People often don't look, or have hoods up. They'll hear a bell from a distance. But be ready to brake anyway.

I had one day last week when I used my bell twice to great effect. Gave me a warm fuzzy feeling!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭peterjmaxwell

Cycled in this morning, mainly because bike was due in for a service. Got caught in a heavy shower which was fine, i had all my wet gear on. Get to work, turn into entrance and hit a pothole disguised as a puddle. Over the handlebars and onto the cobbles. Embarrassing when people are trying to help you up and you're still clipped into the pedals....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

buffalo wrote: »
    Get a bell. People often don't look, or have hoods up. They'll hear a bell from a distance. But be ready to brake anyway.

I had one day last week when I used my bell twice to great effect. Gave me a warm fuzzy feeling!
    I have a bell but my immediate reaction was to concentrate on picking my spot and aiming for it. I was carrying too much speed and felt that if I rang my bell or shouted at them, it might have caused them to panic and jump - possibly in front of me because they would have been unsighted by their umbrellas!

It's definitely a lesson to me to travel a bit slower and expect the unexpected, as cliched as that sounds. I'll also try scuffing up my rims a bit so that there's more friction against the brake pads... it was a very scary feeling to realise there's no way I could stop in time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I wasn't working but got out for a spin for an hour and a half. Don't mind the wet as long as it's not too windy and yesterday was grand there.
    My altura waterproof gloves just aren't though...

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

Nice morning, wettest one for me this week.

A couple of heavy showers on the way in had me worried about the folks in cars not being able to see properly so took it fairly handy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

Jawgap wrote: »
    Aren't big puddles great - nothing like freewheeling through them at speed to bring out the inner 10 year old!

Would be careful in puddles - as a general rule, I will not cycle into one that I can't see the bottom of. A neighbour of mine had a bad accident cycling through one on a road that had a heavy downpour, heavy rain had dislodged manhole. Bike stopped instantly but he kept going, wrecking his knee in the process. Sorry to put a dampner on it (no pun intended:pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Driest morning for me of the three mornings. Rain ceased or slowed between 7.30 and 8 (my commute time).
    As soon as I got in there was a massive downpour...lucky

I fitted SKS Bluemel mudguards on the hybrid at the weekend for the winter commute (and wet Julys). Perfect weather for testing them out.

They're a bit of a bitch to put on but seem worth it so far. No rubbing off the wheels, silent, and most important of all great protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

I was off the last couple of days, so back on the bike this morning. What was all the fuss about?
    :)

Jawgap wrote: »
    Yeah. I did that once.
    Broke front forks.
    Broke a lovely mavic rim.
    Lost my lovely almost brand new pump.
    Felt like a right tit in front of all the cars stopped at the lights when picking myself up out of the puddle.
    Felt horrible after walking the remainder 5km or so home. (It was pre mobile phone days)
    I did it once and once only.

Anyway back on topic...
    The roads seem to be in remarkably good shape considering the amount of rain that fell in such a short time and field being flooded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

bcmf wrote: »
    Left the house at about 5am and got to work at 5.45. 30.5km
    30kms in 45 mins (in the dark)? That some going, fair play.

Advertisement