Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : 2019 and Winter 2020

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

R2FVHcD.png

Storm Forecast
    Valid: Tue 23 Jul 2019 06:00 to Wed 24 Jul 2019 06:00 UTC
    Issued: Mon 22 Jul 2019 21:21
    Forecaster: DAFIS

Levels 1 and 2 were issued for parts of France and the UK for large hail, severe wind gusts, and excessive precipitation.

A level 1 was issued for parts of Ukraine, Russia, and Belarus mainly for excessive precipitation and large hail.

SYNOPSIS

An intensifying ridge in W Europe brings exceptionally warm air masses up to the UK and the North Sea, and a jet stream builds on its forward flank, curving east towards South Scandinavia and Poland. At the same time, two troughs are forming on the west and east side of the ridge, leading to an Omega Blocking. Downstream from these two troughs, we expect DMC events mostly covering a large part of E Europe on Tuesday 23/07. Moreover, storms are also expected in Spain and NE Portugal, which may produce locally severe wind gusts.

DISCUSSION

.... France and UK ....

The advection of very warm air masses over France with up to 25oC at 850 hPa will create a strong cap extending north up to the UK, so we do not expect surface-based convection to use the fat CAPE profiles aloft, where very steep lapse rates create about 2.500 J/kg CAPE. Nevertheless, late in the afternoon and early night of Tuesday a short-wave trough is forecast to reach the west coasts of France and the UK, with strong PVA. Current thinking is that the unstable air masses in extreme NW France and SW UK will penetrate the cap, given the strong synoptic lift, and will lead to severe weather events. The exact time of convective initiation is questionable, but any storm that will form inside the level-1 and 2 areas will be able to produce severe wind gusts, large hail and locally excessive precipitation. A jet-streak of 20-30 m/s that will cross SW UK increase the threat level for severe convective wind gusts and large hail. In France, NWP models (for e.g. GFS, AROME, ICON) show CAPE values exceeding 2.000 J/kg with strong low/mid-level helicity, suggesting that storms may quickly become supercells and very large hail is possible near the coasts of Normandy and Brittany, but according to IFS storms will stay offshore. After midnight the storms will continue propagating N-NE over the UK, mostly elevated. In the early morning of Wednesday 24/07 the main threat will be excessive precipitation in central parts of the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭pad199207

Right enough posting about what the ****ebags are going to get in England lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Unplugging everything now....

Found out my neighbour lost 3 cows in the storm that took my place out, ESB took pictures.

From this point on now Netweather is going to be too painful to read... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    Unplugging everything now....

Found out my neighbour lost 3 cows in the storm that took my place out, ESB took pictures.

I have taken out insurance against losses of cows to lightning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

EAGwj-LW4AAPVqY?format=jpg&name=900x900

pySW2lx.png

The-Story-Behind-Greenland-And-Iceland-Travel-Destination-Names.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Wasn't met4cast outed here by someone recently as a spoof account?

Estofex is always the one to take as gospel if you have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭dacogawa

anim_ttk5.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Looking at the Arome model even for the UK it looks like a single fast moving band of storms, the kind that look amazing on radar but on the ground end up just as a more intense version of a standard pulse storm with mainly elevated lightning.

Will be a nowcast though obviously and some parts will probably see a great light show, should be some interesting radar watching tomorrow night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Winds have backed to the east here (south Laois) from the south over the last hour. Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

I'm in Cornwall at the moment. Should I order in beer and popcorn for tomorrow night?? :D

Ok, none of you replied. So I ordered plenty of beer and lots of popcorn. By all accounts It'll be a cracker here. :D

Ok, none of you replied. So I ordered plenty of beer and lots of popcorn. By all accounts It'll be a cracker here. :D

giphy.gif

Zero mention of even showers this morning on the 6am sea area forecast on radio one by the eagle of showers ,never mind thunder overnight into tomorrow or anywhere
    Weather 'fair'

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Zero mention of even showers this morning on the 6am sea area forecast on radio one by the eagle of showers ,never mind thunder overnight into tomorrow or anywhere
    Weather 'fair'

Yeah pretty much nailed on that this will be a Britain only event

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Zero mention of even showers this morning on the 6am sea area forecast on radio one by the eagle of showers ,never mind thunder overnight into tomorrow or anywhere.

Eagle just mentioned risk of heavy thundery showers this evening/tonight.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Eagle just mentioned risk of heavy thundery showers this evening/tonight.

Outside chance of one or two crossing the Irish Sea I think he said in that
    I think between that and no mention at all in the sea area,you can count it as zero
    Might see distant forks from the coast but probably nothing at all
    He did say southeasterly flow,so that you’d think would help?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Yeah charts have backed off considerably up along the SE and E.

NE might get clipped a bit.

Some risk of thunderstorms showing up in the SW and W. Probably a few sporadic elevated pulse type if they materialise.

Latest bbc news 24 forecast graphics does have a few storms heading north affecting east wexford and east Wicklow and probably eventually Dublin (though the graphic jumped past the timeline for that and moved onto Scotland)

So the question remains,is there hope?
    I'll be up and about in the small hours hopefully and if theres anything going on,will do a live broadcast on the Arklow weather Twitter
    (shameless plug :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

UK Met Office weather chart for midnight tonight:

tcart4o.png

I'd still not rule out some thundery showers breaking out around then as that weak cold front (we don't need strong cold fronts to trigger storms at this time of year) moves into that very moist plume that will be still running up along the east coast. Of course the risk will always be low, and I may be offering nothing but a false hope, but who knows... These type of situations are never as clean cut as the computer models might or might not show.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Latest bbc news 24 forecast graphics does have a few storms heading north affecting east wexford and east Wicklow and probably eventually Dublin (though the graphic jumped past the timeline for that and moved onto Scotland)

So the question remains,is there hope?
    I'll be up and about in the small hours hopefully and if theres anything going on,will do a live broadcast on the Arklow weather Twitter
    (shameless plug :D)

To hell with the models, I am more interested in what your folkish intuition is? What does your gut tell you?

New Moon

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    To hell with the models, I am more interested in what your folkish intuition is? What does your gut tell you?

Default position....disappointment. :P

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

A low maybe
    Not impossible
    But there'll be curses if a sparking shower comes within 10kms of the shore but not inland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

I'm hoping something will pop up along the west coast later tonight. Even a rumble of thunder would be great.

The air is like a thick soup here in Westport this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Comhrá

After the recent thunderstorm bust a few weeks back, with promising charts and model outputs, I'm reminded of the old saying "a watched kettle never boils."

Over the years as I recall, the best and most spectacular thunderstorms have occured with very little fanfare and taken everyone by surprise.

Therefore I'm now very reluctant to get in any way excited at the forecast of thunder until I can actually see the forks and hear the thunder. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Moved back west a bit on the latest ARPEGE, also a little separate bit of unstable air on the south east coast moving north

I think it's a night for sitting on the coast and enjoying whatever happens...

arpegeuk-28-18-0.png?23-12

arpegeuk-28-21-0.png?23-12

Best chance in the east will be the odd short lived pulse storm through the early hours.

hirlamuk-1-15-0.png?23-17

Other than that there is very little of the straw to grasp at the moment.

Latest (blended meteogroup) graphics from the BBC news 24 forecast wit Louise Lear just now
    See attached
    Nothing except in eastern Ulster
    A quiet night for the rest of us

They are showing a lighter dying band of rain up through cork

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

First of the lightning off the south coast of England now.

• Advertisement

Rapid ECM 06Z showing a fair chance of thunderstorms breaking out in the SW this evening and up along the W as the evening goes on. Showing some chance along the S and SE coasts as well perhaps as the front crosses the country. This run of all the models showing the front move the furthest inland and with the most chance of rain but most of it staying off shore as the chart below shows. ECM I reckon has been doing very well with these set ups recently in that it is about the best at handling elevated storms . Interesting to see if this verifies.

Nice areas of convergence in the SW and W and off the NW. Good levels of DLS.

YWQz7E6.png

4R0TkJQ.png

lGdUBTT.png

CfRO2nL.png

mm799HM.png

ykTSvT4.png

Advertisement