Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

That looks great to me. It's the model from 2011 and his the older 10 speed 105 gears but that's still a nice groupset and a lot of bike for that price.
    The only problem may be the size, they don't say what size the frame is so I can't look up geometry.
    Fits 5'7 - 6'2 is meaningless because I know for sure that a frame that fits someone who is 5'7 will be wrong for someone who is 6'2 and vice versa.

tuxy wrote: »
    That looks great to me. It's the model from 2011 and his the older 10 speed 105 gears but that's still a nice groupset and a lot of bike for that price.
    The only problem may be the size, they don't say what size the frame is so I can't look up geometry.
    Fits 5'7 - 6'2 is meaningless because I know for sure that a frame that fits someone who is 5'7 will be wrong for someone who is 6'2 and vice versa.

Yeah I might shoot them a message for frame size. Looks a good place to begin, thanks for the reply :)

Some decent little bits included in deal as well.

https://www.donedeal.ie/bicycles-for-sale/racing-road-bike/22474698

Hunt going well so far but how about this?

• Advertisement

Thoughts on Lapierre Audacio brand ?

I've never cycled one of their bikes but Lapierre are a well known reputable brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/22476149

I’m not sure where you are in the country but this is worth a look if your anywhere near Cavan.

The new R2000 Claris is very very good. I have it on a Cube Attain and it is very slick and much better than 5700 105 or 4500/4600 Tiagra.

Or this if you can stretch your budget a little. Very nice set of upgraded wheels on it too which is a bonus. You could offer €400 for the bike only without the other stuff he’s giving along with the bike.

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/22472900

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/22476149

I’m not sure where you are in the country but this is worth a look if your anywhere near Cavan.

The new R2000 Claris is very very good. I have it on a Cube Attain and it is very slick and much better than 5700 105 or 4500/4600 Tiagra.

Or this if you can stretch your budget a little. Very nice set of upgraded wheels on it too which is a bonus. You could offer €400 for the bike only without the other stuff he’s giving along with the bike.

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/22472900

Based in cork. But knowing which brands are good is handy anyway. If something like that comes up near me I'll be sure to look at it. Thank you

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    Based in cork. But knowing which brands are good is handy anyway. If something like that comes up near me I'll be sure to look at it. Thank you

Like that second one. Keeping an eye for that

• Advertisement

https://www.donedeal.ie/bicycles-for-sale/bicycle/22483871

Another one I was looking at a bentini pesaro... 14 speed only but a good starter cheap?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Another one I was looking at a bentini pesaro... 14 speed only but a good starter cheap?

Unless its free, don't take it, would be fine if only a 5 minute spin for work but it is heavy, bad wheels that will fail within the year and a groupset that will be costly to maintain.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Unless its free, don't take it, would be fine if only a 5 minute spin for work but it is heavy, bad wheels that will fail within the year and a groupset that will be costly to maintain.

Okay point taken!! Seriously though, thanks.

Group-set is Snifters,Crank, Front derailleur and rear derailleur, Cassette

They usually come as a matching group, Shimano is the most common brand here's a list starting with most expensive first

Shimano Dura-Ace
    Shimano Ultegra
    Shimano 105
    Shimano 105
    Shimano Tiagra
    Shimano Sora
    Shimano Claris

There are some cheaper ones but I wouldn't go below Claris

Absolute scrap, heavy as a farm gate with low quality cheap components.

Stay away from Castello, Viking, K-Lite, Stratos and Torpedo too, all cheap low quality scrap hence the reason Donedeal and Adverts are full of them.

Is there value in this lads? Looks good as a start but is the price high? http://www.adverts.ie/16380329

Is there value in this lads? Looks good as a start but is the price high? http://www.adverts.ie/16380329

Its an old model but not a bad bike, wouldn't pay a tap over 250euro though. They will say it cost 6 or 800 or more when they bought it but that was a few years ago, the only thing holding value is the service but the groupset is old enough so will cost a bomb to maintain or upgrade if your doing alot of miles. This said, the wheels (rims) are reliable and they are a decent starter bike.

Its an old model but not a bad bike, wouldn't pay a tap over 250euro though. They will say it cost 6 or 800 or more when they bought it but that was a few years ago, the only thing holding value is the service but the groupset is old enough so will cost a bomb to maintain or upgrade if your doing alot of miles. This said, the wheels (rims) are reliable and they are a decent starter bike.

Any recommendations for 200 / 300 euro as a second hand starter bike so? When you say cost a bomb, what am i looking at, replacing broken parts etc.?

I don't see the issue. It uses an 8 speed gear system and parts for that are very cheap.
    It does have a tripple crank though, which I'm not really a fan of as there is a greater chance of it causing trouble.
    Stick to a double crank if you can.

• Advertisement

I don't see the issue. It uses an 8 speed gear system and parts for that are very cheap.
    It does have a tripple crank though, which I'm not really a fan of as there is a greater chance of it causing trouble.

That is where the chain shifts by the wheel yes? Noted.. ðŸ‘

Do most road bikes have the easy to remove wheels ? I tried googling and got nothing

Might be good.
    I can't tell, it does not list year or components or even size.

And yes it would be unusual for a road bike with rim brakes not to use the quick release system.
    New bikes with disk brakes will use a thru axle that takes a little longer removing the wheel.

Might be good.
    I can't tell, it does not list year or components or even size.

And yes it would be unusual for a road bike with rim brakes not to use the quick release system.
    New bikes with disk brakes will use a thru axle that takes a little longer removing the wheel.

Sound man it is 55cm he says so prob too big.

I’d say that bike is close to 10 years old and worth €150 at most. I personally wouldn’t buy it at all as there is much better out there for less than what he’s asking.

Your probably right, I just think that its not widely used on new bikes and increasingly will become harder to get, at the moment it is fine. Not sure the last time a Lapierre Audacio came with 8 speed but it is a few years old alu bike. They are decent bikes but the groupset tells me it's old enough not to be worth a punt at that price. No issue with the triple though, used one for years without issue, and a nice spread of gears if you only have 8 on the back.

Your probably right, I just think that its not widely used on new bikes and increasingly will become harder to get, at the moment it is fine. Not sure the last time a Lapierre Audacio came with 8 speed but it is a few years old alu bike. They are decent bikes but the groupset tells me it's old enough not to be worth a punt at that price. No issue with the triple though, used one for years without issue, and a nice spread of gears if you only have 8 on the back.

He's offering for 300 now with what's out there second hand at the moment I wonder is this worth a punt as a starter.

I’d say that bike is close to 10 years old and worth €150 at most. I personally wouldn’t buy it at all as there is much better out there for less than what he’s asking.

I guess there is a reason it is up 9 months or so. Anyhow, continue searching

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

I might drop into this tread also. :) newbie and looking for advice?

I'm in a similar position to Jim (OP) here, i.e. currently a runner that will be starting cycling after the Dublin marathon in October. Looking at buying a bike, probably cost effective initially, but happy to spend €€€ if i get into it. If i do like the cycling , i will probably hit it pretty hard...

Im looking at this bike tonight, any opinions ?

https://www.adverts.ie/road-bikes/18-gear-super-light-racer/15544325

Advertisement