Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anglicised name potluck

• 02-07-2019 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

We all know that Irish names were anglicized (or latinized) for some reason in a lot of records. Unhappily, the same name might have been anglicized completely differently depending on who was doing the recording.

In general, I'm wondering if there's a resource available, giving lists of the different versions of Irish personal names

In particular I'd like to know what other names might be used by someone recorded as Hannah in 1901 and 1911 censuses. I can't find any trace of her in civil records (or indeed anywhere outside of the census).

Hannah McGinley is listed as my G-Grandfather's step-sister in the 1911 census. This matches some very old family lore that my g-g-grandfather had been married twice.
    http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Donegal/Gortahork/Magheraroarty/483083/

Here are some other names that I've seen applied to individuals:
    Una / Unity / Eunice / Winifred.
    Bella / Isabella / Anabella.
    Shane / John / Sean
    Daniel / Donal / Denis / Donncha
    Tadhg / Teague / Thady / Timothy [the list goes on and on]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Hannah is usually short for Johanna

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I have had Johanna also appear as Judith and Julia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

spurious wrote: »
    I have had Johanna also appear as Judith and Julia.

Yes, this is even mentioned in Matheson's book. (Special Report on Surnames in Ireland 1909)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Ok, search back in this forum because we already have an extensive thread on name variations.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭yaledo

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Ok, search back in this forum because we already have an extensive thread on name variations.

Thanks .

Here is the previous thread: "Pet names".
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056607988

That thread contains lots of useful examples of nicknames and alternate spellings. It also includes a link to this book from 1901 "Varieties and Synonyms of Surnames and Christian Names in Ireland" - By Robert E Matheson.

https://archive.org/details/varietiessynony00math/page/n3

• Advertisement
Advertisement