Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boxing Thread 13/11 (Crawford-Brook, Katie Taylor, Heffron-Bentley II)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,822 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I think that's a given

Sorry, know SFA about women's boxing and had never heard of 'cyborg'. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that's not the name she was born with...

Cris Cyborg from Brazil - she’s an MMA fighter. And yup, that’s her stage name.

If Amanda Nunes could KO Cybord with 4oz gloves in the first few minutes then Taylor would make her look silly in a boxing match no matter how long it would go on for.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,822 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

If Amanda Nunes could KO Cybord with 4oz gloves in the first few minutes then Taylor would make her look silly in a boxing match no matter how long it would go on for.

Yeah, it feels a bit too much Mayweather McGregor for my liking... a boxer will always have too much skill and experience for a non-boxer. Even a powerhouse like Cyborg.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,589 ✭✭✭✭walshb

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Yeah, it feels a bit too much Mayweather McGregor for my liking... a boxer will always have too much skill and experience for a non-boxer. Even a powerhouse like Cyborg.

But not every crossover fight is the same..

Floyd is a defensive genius...the only hope Conor had was a Hail Mary KO...and very very unlikely you land that on someone like Mayweather..

Katie is not remotely as sound on defense as Floyd. And, she is not at all a puncher..hence a Nunes or Cyborg would likely not be hurt, and would likely still be there in the ring throwing punches.

So, skills wise in boxing she has more than a Cyborg or Nunes, but for either them to land hard and clean on Katie should not at all be a surprise..

Put it this way. A Nunes or Cyborg would absolutely be more dangerous than what Katie faces tonight...and Katie fought like a demon and still that lass lasted 10 rounds..

Nunes or Cyborg with training.... nobody is telling me they would not have a chance...And a better chance than that mandatory challenger tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭colly10

patmac wrote: »
    I just find it hypocritical that you would want to try and beat the hell out of someone and be a Christian as well. I used to hate Holyfield for it as well.
    Also if Gueterrez is the best they can offer as a contender, then the term ‘Lamb to the slaughter ‘ comes to mind.

It’s a sport, it’s not personal or out of hatred.
    For the short while I was fighting I loved when I landed something to hurt an opponent, it had little to do with hurting them though and more to do with proving to yourself that all the hours you put in trying to outtrain the rest are having an affect.
    You chat after the fight and there’s no animosity, less than I had against players from rival football teams when I played.
    You’re taking about boxing like it’s similar to fighting someone on the street

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭patmac

colly10 wrote: »
    For the short while I was fighting I loved when I landed something to hurt an opponent, it had little to do with hurting them though and more to do with proving to yourself that all the hours you put in trying to outtrain the rest are having an affect.
    You chat after the fight and there’s no animosity, less than I had against players from rival football teams when I played.

Thanks for the insightful, refreshing post. It’s nice to read something objective instead of the abuse you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

colly10 wrote: »

I tell alot of young lads fighting at football matches where the boxing club is, very few venture down. More footballers want to fight after a match than boxers do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

~Rebel~ wrote: »

Id still pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Maloney should get the TKO win here. Clearly a punch that shut Franco's eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Morrison J wrote: »
    Maloney should get the TKO win here. Clearly a punch that shut Franco's eye.

Hope so. I have a tenner on him at 9/1 for ko/tko!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,101 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Some rigamarole here.
    How many more phonecalls does it take .

Tim Bradley is losing his mind

• Registered Users Posts: 37,505 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

There's not enough cameras to be certain nothing happened with the head clash even though you know it was the punch that did it.
    They won't change it.

Joke!

Worst decision I've ever see . Bradley called it. Protecting the ref

eagle eye wrote: »
    There's not enough cameras to be certain nothing happened with the head clash even though you know it was the punch that did it.
    They won't change it.

There wasn't a single camera shot of a clash to the right of his head. Every head connection was on the other side.

Worst decision I've ever see . Bradley called it. Protecting the ref
    It's not that, it's that you must be 100% to overturn it. Very hard to be 100% when you don't have all the angles.

Took them 26 mins to come to the wrong decision. Disgrace.

It's not that, it's that you must be 100% to overturn it. Very hard to be 100% when you don't have all the angles.

There was no angles because the headbutt didn't exist. Shocking call.

There wasn't a single camera shot of a clash to the right of his head. Every head connection was on the other side.
    There was a clash of heads where the only camera angle showed Maloney's head going across his face. You can't be 100% certain there was no contact there. In order to overturn the decision it has to be certain.
    I know it was the punch, 99% certain of that, that did it but that's not how the replay rules work.

• Advertisement

Overturn what? It didn't happen. What angle did they need? There wasn't even a camera shot where you would say " well I can't see it". Total joke. Worse than var

There was a clash of heads where the only camera angle showed Maloney's head going across his face. You can't be 100% certain there was no contact there. In order to overturn the decision it has to be certain.
    I know it was the punch, 99% certain of that, that did it but that's not how the replay rules work.

Can't agree man. These guys have been in the game all their lives. You dont get a swollen eye from a brush of heads.
    End of the day, they protected the ref. Andre ward, Tim bradley all agree.

I'm in agreement that the punch did the damage.
    I'm not arguing against that, I'm saying that the way thru have the rules set up for replay to change a decision means it's never likely to happen.
    Actually an overhead camera might be the answer.

Screw it. Looking forward to the main event. Poor Maloney though. Lad was almost in tears.

Screw it. Looking forward to the main event. Poor Maloney though. Lad was almost in tears.
    Yeah, my heart goes out to him.

As for this one, step too far again for Kell. I think Crawford takes him out inside six.

Prediction Crawford in 8/9

Brook 2 up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

fair dues to Brook, absolutely terrific start. Will be hard to maintain this pace though.

• Advertisement

Special K (O'd)

Advertisement