Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Robert Fisk R.I.P.

• 02-11-2020 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Sad news on the sudden passing of the old style Middle East reporter Robert Fisk. Never afraid to lash into the Israelis /Iranians /Saudis / USA / EU,he called it as it was... despite being sidelined in recent years by organisations who did not appreciate his honesty, his legacy is a reminder of old school foreign correspondence at its best.
    May he RIP.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Akabusi

RIP. I remember his book on Lebanon well. Really worthwhile checking it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

Get the great war for civilisation. It has the Lebanon stuff but basically the rest of his career too.

Poor Bob. Always felt sad that he fell in love with the middle east and then watched it burn up.

Amazing author

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

After leaving school, I don't think I ever learned as much history from one book as I did from this one:

The_Great_War_for_Civilisation_-_Dust_Jacket_-_Robert_Fisk.jpg

The one constant with Fisk is that he was for the man on the street in the Arab world. He saw that they were being hammered both by foreign imperialism and corrupt, incompetent autocrats and he tried to give them a voice. He will be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

He was a great friend of Ireland. I think he wrote his PhD ON the emergency in Ireland and was published as book. Never knew he lived in Dublin and died in St Vincents.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

He was a great friend of Ireland. I think he wrote his PhD ON the emergency in Ireland and was published as book. Never knew he lived in Dublin and died in St Vincents.

In Time of War, I have a copy that has long needed to be glued back into its binding, think I'll sort that tomorrow if I have something that'll do the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭DK224

Eamon Dunphy should be given huge credit for giving Robert Fisk a platform on his airways here in Ireland for the last 20+ years. He was a regular on his Todayfm radio show, podcast and if I remember correctly he even had him on his short lived TV3 talk show.
    He was outspoken, unfiltered and helped educate so many about the true state of affairs in the middle east. His death will leave a massive void in its reporting RIP

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Pat Kenny switched him off mid-sentence when he was taking about Duomo in 2018 and pretended it was in the interest of state security I believe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,233 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have a vague memory of PK having him on the TV about 20 years ago, talking about the middle east, and pat kenny referring to a possible 'final solution' for israel/palestine, and fisk just burying his head in his hands groaning 'oh pat, oh god'

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭3d4life

2006 episode of Desert Island Discs with Robert Fisk

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0093v0v

Advertisement