Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boxing Thread 30/10 (Usyk-Chisora, Santa Cruz-Davis, Inoue-Maloney, Munguia-Johnson)

Options
  • 30-10-2020 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭

Great slate of fights this weekend.

Predictions for the main events:
    Usyk late stoppage
    Davis points
    Inoue KO4
    Munguia points

Irish interest too with Tommy McCarthy fighting on the Usyk undercard for a European title. Big opportunity and seems to be in the shape of his life for it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Dave Allen Fight off tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

but1er wrote: »
    Dave Allen Fight off tomorrow

No harm had the makings of a farce that one. Lovejoy with the most padded record you'll ever see.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,589 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Leo and Tank both under by 1/4 and 1/2 lb respectively!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Tank might have too much power for Santa Cruz, round 5 ko for Davis

Usyk should win by tko late on

Inoue by ko early

I don't know anything about the other fighters

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Chisora weigh in cringeworthy, he’s quite possibly the biggest turkey in the heavyweight division. Hope Usyk jabs the face off him tomorrow night.

• Advertisement

One of the worst cuts you'll ever see on Tureano Johnson's there. Lip literally exploded in half. Another fight where Munguia didn't look great. Had it scored 3-3 at the time the fight was stopped.

Morrison J wrote: »
    One of the worst cuts you'll ever see on Tureano Johnson's there. Lip literally exploded in half. Another fight where Munguia didn't look great. Had it scored 3-3 at the time the fight was stopped.

Was an excellently fought fight.

Munguia was starting to get on top..lovely uppercut to end it..

walshb wrote: »
    Was an excellently fought fight.

Munguia was starting to get on top..lovely uppercut to end it..
    Yeah Johnson really took it to him early but you could feel Munguia started to turn the tide a bit before it was stopped. Still think someone with a bit of movement and brains can cause Munguia a lot of issues. Liam Williams might be the man for the job if that fight ever does happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭DrSpongeBobz

If Usyk is a future heavyweight contender this fight is pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭squinn2912

If Usyk is a future heavyweight contender this fight is pointless.

I think it’s a very good match up to see what he’s like at hw. If he’s convincing then he should kick on to fight for a title

• Advertisement

Uncomfortable watching the Ali fight - opponent has no business being in there with her - an absolute patsy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭colly10

Interesting match up but no way I could justify PPV. Hard to follow boxing these days. If fights like these remain PPV I don’t see how ye can really follow the progress of fighters, Usyk only moved up and doesn’t have a huge following and Chisora is second rate at best

colly10 wrote: »
    Interesting match up but no way I could justify PPV. Hard to follow boxing these days. If fights like these remain PPV I don’t see how ye can really follow the progress of fighters, Usyk only moved up and doesn’t have a huge following and Chisora is second rate at best

Normally I'd agree - but, lockdown, stir crazy, can't do much else - I'm happy to drop a few quid for a ppv and watch a few fights over the night rather than f*ck about with streams etc. Cost is still less than I'd pay to go to most live fight shows locally (remember when we could go to see those!!), so it's not that much really.

Tommy McCarthy up now..

Tommy McCarthy up now..

Looking forward to this one - always showed decent promise.

Hope McCarthy wins this and in style. Always rated him just not sure his dedication has always been there. Looks in the shape of his life for this one.

10-1 round 1? Mccarthy has sloppy defence

squinn2912 wrote: »
    10-1 round 1? Mccarthy has sloppy defence

Defense is low, but he seems fairly aware of the range - not eating jabs (yet!)

Round down on my card after 2

Well matched...

Very basic stuff.

Defense is low, but he seems fairly aware of the range - not eating jabs (yet!)

Round down on my card after 2

Very close rounds to score. I’ve given him just round 2 but they could be three 10-10s too. He has decent head movement and goes after the body well.

• Advertisement

Well matched...

Very basic stuff.

It is - good body work by McCarthy - could make a difference as the fight goes on - nobody really dominating though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭colly10

Normally I'd agree - but, lockdown, stir crazy, can't do much else - I'm happy to drop a few quid for a ppv and watch a few fights over the night rather than f*ck about with streams etc. Cost is still less than I'd pay to go to most live fight shows locally (remember when we could go to see those!!), so it's not that much really.

Ye, don’t get me wrong, noone’s a fool for buying it they way things are. I’ve spent a fortune on movies and normally I wouldn’t have the patience to sit down and watch one.
    My problem is that when the lockdown disappears, the likes of this being PPV won’t as people won’t pay for this long term. People will fall away from the sport cause they’re not following it, myself included

Better round there from McCarthy he looks a level above now. Body shots working well

Better round there from McCarthy he looks a level above now. Body shots working well

Yeah, he's looking far more confident now - still needs to be a bit busier imo to stand out a little more.

All square after 4 for me.

Good second half to that round. McCarthy starting to look like he fancies this. Taking more risks and committing. He has the faster feet and hands. Big round coming up.

McCarthys best round so far - be a shame if this eye injury finishes it - it's an enjoyable fight.

59-58 in favour of McCarthy for me now.

McCarthy really finding a decent rhythm here. Looks likely to take over and maybe even force a stoppage late. Gone to the body really well from the start.

I got McCarthy to stop him at 8/1 cash out?

Good round - really starting to dominate now - should really be looking to stop this early

• Advertisement

I got McCarthy to stop him at 8/1 cash out?

Great odds!!

Advertisement