Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General question about tumble dryers

• 28-10-2020 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭

1. Can all condenser tumble dryers by plumbed? I plan to put it in the utility room next to the sink.

2. Certain makes seem to be at the budget end of the market. Are there any makes best avoided?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Interested Bystander

1. They should be but not all are. Ours is and it saves the odd hassle of having to empty its condensate reservoir
    2. Bosch and Miele are reviewed quite well.
    Its also a good idea if you want a quick answer, to just sign up for "Which?" membership. We renovated this year and bought loads of new appliances and have found the advice there to be very useful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

1. They should be but not all are. Ours is and it saves the odd hassle of having to empty its condensate reservoir
    2. Bosch and Miele are reviewed quite well.
    Its also a good idea if you want a quick answer, to just sign up for "Which?" membership. We renovated this year and bought loads of new appliances and have found the advice there to be very useful
    Thanks. I'll check for plumbabilityness.

Bosch and Meile are very will reviewed, alright. Up there with pricing though, so I was looking at some cheaper models and was wondering if some were cheap with good reason, rather than being middle-of-the road value.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Interested Bystander

I would compromise on smaller things like toasters, kettles, microwaves but for your big ticket items I tend not to take chances. Thats just my approach. So unless you have a model in mind that you have heard or read great things about, i'd be sticking with what will guarantee me good results

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Heighway61 wrote: »
    1. Can all condenser tumble dryers by plumbed? I plan to put it in the utility room next to the sink.

2. Certain makes seem to be at the budget end of the market. Are there any makes best avoided?

I bought a new dryer about two years ago, and at the time the only "plumbed" one I could find was a Beko. Hopefully there are more now, as it is much handier. Even with that, I had to persuade the installers to do it - they'd installed that machine lots of times before, but had never used the waste pipe before.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I've never seen a plumbed condenser dryer... Where/what do you plumb it to? We have a hoover vision tech, it's as auld as the hills and it's still belting away, it's gone a bit noisier alright but still dries the clothes I think this winter might be it's last ( said that last year too!!). Don't be tempted by these air pump driers, they're dire.

• Advertisement

CoBo55 wrote: »
    I've never seen a plumbed condenser dryer... Where/what do you plumb it to? We have a hoover vision tech, it's as auld as the hills and it's still belting away, it's gone a bit noisier alright but still dries the clothes I think this winter might be it's last ( said that last year too!!). Don't be tempted by these air pump driers, they're dire.

Plumbed isn't exactly the right word, but mine has an outlet hose that sends the water gathered down the drain (alongside the outlet hose from the washing machine). So instead of having a drawer fill up with water, that you need to empty down the sink, the water goes straight down the drain instead.

Apparently the efficiency decreases as the drawer fills with water, particularly if you're someone who forgets to empty it after each use. This avoids that issue.

How true is the bold bit? What's dire about them, if you don't mind me asking?

I was looking at a few with the intention of lining up the replacement for the clattering Hoover. Unless you spend huge money on a machine geared towards industrial work you're at nothing. The machines that are aimed towards domestic users get terrible reviews, clothes taking hours to dry, smelly etc.

I was looking at a few with the intention of lining up the replacement for the clattering Hoover. Unless you spend huge money on a machine geared towards industrial work you're at nothing. The machines that are aimed towards domestic users get terrible reviews, clothes taking hours to dry, smelly etc.
    That's a shame, we need one badly. Surely they must work well generally or they wouldn't sell?

That's a shame, we need one badly. Surely they must work well generally or they wouldn't sell?

If you see one you're thinking of buying check it out thoroughly before parting with your bobs, they're too expensive to end up with a dud. Many of the domestic ones are rehashed condenser dryers.

• Advertisement

Mine is an air pump, and while I wouldn't call it dire, I'm never 100% happy with it. I've never had a problem with smells - the only thing that would make stuff smell is if you leave damp clothes in a ball for ages.

My main issue, and it seems quite common, is that they're so busy being energy efficient, that drying clothes seems to come second :)

The default program on mine (cupboard dry) is initially set to run for 3 hours. It has a sensor, so if it decides the stuff is sufficiently dry before that, it will switch off. I never think the stuff is dry enough to go straight into a cupboard when it's done. There are other settings (like extra dry) which are just about suitable, but they take nearly 4 hours. I don't overload my machine, I shake each item out before putting it in, and clean the door filter after every use, and the big filter every 7 loads, as instructed.

Perhaps I'm just yearning for the energy inefficient days of old vented dryers that you bunged stuff in for 45 minutes, and it came out bone dry. I try to line dry clothes as much as possible, so I can put up with the 3+ hour cycles, but I'd imagine if I had a house full of small kids and 500 loads of washing daily it would get tedious.

To be fair, the length of the cycle is not unique to the air pumps - most condenser dryers I've seen take far longer than the old style vented dryers.

Thoie wrote: »
    Mine is an air pump, and while I wouldn't call it dire, I'm never 100% happy with it. I've never had a problem with smells - the only thing that would make stuff smell is if you leave damp clothes in a ball for ages.

My main issue, and it seems quite common, is that they're so busy being energy efficient, that drying clothes seems to come second :)

The default program on mine (cupboard dry) is initially set to run for 3 hours. It has a sensor, so if it decides the stuff is sufficiently dry before that, it will switch off. I never think the stuff is dry enough to go straight into a cupboard when it's done. There are other settings (like extra dry) which are just about suitable, but they take nearly 4 hours. I don't overload my machine, I shake each item out before putting it in, and clean the door filter after every use, and the big filter every 7 loads, as instructed.

Perhaps I'm just yearning for the energy inefficient days of old vented dryers that you bunged stuff in for 45 minutes, and it came out bone dry. I try to line dry clothes as much as possible, so I can put up with the 3+ hour cycles, but I'd imagine if I had a house full of small kids and 500 loads of washing daily it would get tedious.

To be fair, the length of the cycle is not unique to the air pumps - most condenser dryers I've seen take far longer than the old style vented dryers.

I wonder how much electricity it uses in the 4 hours compared to the 45 minutes in the older type? I’d say there’s feck all in the difference. I wouldn’t be able to listen to herself giving out about clothes taking 4 hours to dry, and only half dry at that!!

A vented dryer was my initial thought. The builders put a vent in the utility room wall but for some mysterious reason they then put the cupboards up against the vent making it redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Thoie sums it up well. I think I probably have the same Bosch dryer as Thoie. I replaced a vented dryer with a pump condenser two years ago during a refit of the utility room and while it does dry the clothes and doesn't always take the 4 hours if the clothes are light, towels can come out damp and need another go in the 20 minute cycle. I try to get them on the line most days.

Bosch is a great make though. all my appliances apart from cooker are Bosch and no issues with any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭screamer

Heat pump driers are economically a false economy. They cost a lot more than a standard dryer and it takes years for the to recoup the difference. They take forever to dry clothes also.
    I looked into them extensively when replacing my old 15 year running dryer, but decided against one. I went for a large capacity condenser dryer and whilst not as good as my old one, it gets the clothes dry and is more energy efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

I had a heat pump drier. Shat itself after a year and got loads of parts replaced under warranty. A year later the heat pump went went on it and it wasn't economical to repair so went back to a normal heater element bosch which hasn't skipped a beat.

I've played these games gettinng expensive machines and then cheap ones when they break and the when that breaks go expensive again.
    Only thing I've learned is that since getting a bosch washing machine and drier I've had no issues in the last 3 or 4 years.

Wyldwood wrote: »
    Thoie sums it up well. I think I probably have the same Bosch dryer as Thoie. I replaced a vented dryer with a pump condenser two years ago during a refit of the utility room and while it does dry the clothes and doesn't always take the 4 hours if the clothes are light, towels can come out damp and need another go in the 20 minute cycle. I try to get them on the line most days.

Bosch is a great make though. all my appliances apart from cooker are Bosch and no issues with any of them.

Did Thoie say they had a Bosch? When my Hoover dies I'll chance a Nordmende I have a washing machine and dishwasher from them, both are over 3 now( a record for this house) and they aren't mad money like Bosch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

that's a problem with all these sensor driers.
    I think the problem is we want them bone dry coming out but they are meant to have a bit of moisture left in them. Saying that give the sensor inside the machine a clean every few weeks and it helps. Also don't mix thinks like towels with clothes do then separate.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭dinky earnshaw

Personally I tend to buy large appliances at the cheaper end. A hotpoint dryer can be a third of the cost of your Bosch and Miele. I cant see a Bosch or Miele appliance out lasting 2 or 3 hotpoint ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Apparently the efficiency decreases as the drawer fills with water, particularly if you're someone who forgets to empty it after each use. This avoids that issue.

I can't see how that would be possible.
    In mine anyway the air flows from drum through condenser, condenses to water and flows to a small reservoir. From there it gets pumped to the water tank. So unless the tank was literally full and couldn't be pumped into I can't see how it would reduce the effectiveness of the condenser.

It is a handy feature if you have drain readily available but I wouldn't be bothered myself doing any extra plumbing just for it.

• Advertisement

cruizer101 wrote: »
    I can't see how that would be possible.
    In mine anyway the air flows from drum through condenser, condenses to water and flows to a small reservoir. From there it gets pumped to the water tank. So unless the tank was literally full and couldn't be pumped into I can't see how it would reduce the effectiveness of the condenser.

It is a handy feature if you have drain readily available but I wouldn't be bothered myself doing any extra plumbing just for it.

People do forget to empty the drawer/tank, leading to the scenario you describe. And yes, I wouldn't get a special drain installed just for that, but in my case the washer and dryer are side by side, and the drain pipe is right there, so it's as handy to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

heat pump dryers by and large are an expensive toy with little or no saving overall, they are expensive to buy at the upper end of the market and at the lower price end the quality is junk. Granted while they work they are cheap to run as the refrigeration compressor is using c 80 watts against 2000 watts for the heating elements of your regular dryer. In Irl I doubt if there are many techs who can call on an appliance and leave having the problem solved regardless of what the problem is as you have to be a service engineer and also a refrigeration engineer. for the contributor with the Bosch condenser dryer with the clothes coming out slightly damp set your dryer afterwards for the shortest timed dry and set at half heat and let me know how much dryer they get.

Do standard (i.e., not heat pump) condenser and vented dryers usually have a water outlet pipe?

I have a drain just where the dryer is to go. Washing machine and sink uses it. Would be handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I have a bosch tumble dryer with collection container and the amount of fluff that comes off clothes is horrendous and stopped using it over a year ago as the power bill went through the roof.

Best thing i bought was a 3 tier twin armed clothes horse which i have upstairs next to the boiler and clothes are dry next day and saving a fortune in clothes lasting longer and not wearing out.

Do standard (i.e., not heat pump) condenser and vented dryers usually have a water outlet pipe?

I have a drain just where the dryer is to go. Washing machine and sink uses it. Would be handy.

Vented dryers don't "collect" water, so don't have either a water outlet pipe, or a collection tray - the water goes out through the wall vent as steam.

Standard condenser dryers are hit and miss for a water outlet pipe - during my time searching a few years back I'd say it was a rarity, but hopefully that's changing. AFAIK, all Miele have it, but they're usually pretty expensive. You really just have to check every model that you're interested in.

The main retailer websites usually don't even mention it, so you need to get model numbers from the sites, find the manuals, and check the installation pages to see if it's there (taking note of model variations).

If you're allowed in to shops to look at them at the moment, tilting the machine forward on the display to see if there's a hose at the back can work, though shops might not like that - maybe ask someone first!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭into_the_wild

I have a utility room under the staircase with no windows and I am trying to decide between a condenser and a heat pump tumble dryer but a bit confused. I read somewhere that condenser driers need a well ventilated room with windows etc otherwise room could gather moisture and get moldy. Whereas heat pump dryers don't emit moisture so can be placed anywhere.
    Vented dryer isn't an option as there's no hole in the wall for an outlet pipe.
    Any clue which one I should go for?

I have a utility room under the staircase with no windows and I am trying to decide between a condenser and a heat pump tumble dryer but a bit confused. I read somewhere that condenser driers need a well ventilated room with windows etc otherwise room could gather moisture and get moldy. Whereas heat pump dryers don't emit moisture so can be placed anywhere.
    Vented dryer isn't an option as there's no hole in the wall for an outlet pipe.
    Any clue which one I should go for?

If you want dry clothes get a condenser dryer, we've had a few now and never noticed mould or damp near it, it's under the stairs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭into_the_wild

If you want dry clothes get a condenser dryer, we've had a few now and never noticed mould or damp near it, it's under the stairs too.

Cheers. Went for a Bosch condenser :)

Cheers. Went for a Bosch condenser :)

Good stuff, mine is literally still banging away, I can't believe it's lasting so long:eek:
    It'll probably pack in on Stephens day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭3d4life

greasepalm wrote: »
    .....the amount of fluff that comes off clothes is horrendous .....

DFB have a tweet for that

https://twitter.com/DubFireBrigade/status/1337479862702010371/photo/1

Advertisement