Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Online QQI courses?

• 06-09-2020 2:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭

Hi, wondering if anyone can advise me? I work a full time day job, 9 - 4 but want to complete a QQI level 5 course in a local adult ed center, theres no part time option. Just wondering if anyone knows if its possible to do QQI courses online?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Hi, wondering if anyone can advise me? I work a full time day job, 9 - 4 but want to complete a QQI level 5 course in a local adult ed center, theres no part time option. Just wondering if anyone knows if its possible to do QQI courses online?

Depends on the course and provider.
    I've previously done a QQI level 6 by online/distance learning before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Depends on the course and provider.
    I've previously done a QQI level 6 by online/distance learning before.

Hi thanks for the response, just wondering what course provider you used? I cant seem to find any.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Contact your local Adult Ed. centre. They may well be doing this year's courses partly or wholly online. Either way, they will have people who can advise you.
    Be careful whatever course you do gives you a full award, not just a module or two.

spurious wrote: »
    Contact your local Adult Ed. centre. They may well be doing this year's courses partly or wholly online. Either way, they will have people who can advise you.
    Be careful whatever course you do gives you a full award, not just a module or two.

Hi,
    I did contact my local adult ed before posting here but they have very little to offer, they have a couple of evening courses but they are in things like cookery, book keeping and separate modules in childcare, none of which are of any use to me. I asked about online courses but they didnt really have anything, theres a few zoom courses but nothing worth my while doing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I suppose it depends where you are. If you are in a large ETB area you need to get on to one of the Directors of Adult Ed. usually based in the Head Office, who will know what courses are available in all their centres, not just the local one.
    There are many private companies who offer part awards, but their cost is often multiples of the ETB fees.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    I suppose it depends where you are. If you are in a large ETB area you need to get on to one of the Directors of Adult Ed. usually based in the Head Office, who will know what courses are available in all their centres, not just the local one.
    There are many private companies who offer part awards, but their cost is often multiples of the ETB fees.

Yes, thank you.
    Ive looked into other course providers such as universities offering part time and short courses and privately run course providers but it's very hard to find anything, most of the courses are very run of the mill, not credited or extremely costly.
    Not sure how to get in touch with a director of adult ed? I took a few tries to get to through to a receptionist in the ETB but I will give it shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wanderer19

If it's a full time course you could find out what the modules are and register for them seperately. Various providers do the individual modules. For some courses it's not always worth doing the course full time, depends on your own background.

Wanderer19 wrote: »
    If it's a full time course you could find out what the modules are and register for them seperately. Various providers do the individual modules. For some courses it's not always worth doing the course full time, depends on your own background.

Thanks, I did ask this but they said it wasnt an option :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭phildenny

There are some qqi online, depending on the course you need. What general subject area do you want.
    Try open college or cmit. Or do a search on fetch courses.ie.

phildenny wrote: »
    There are some qqi online, depending on the course you need. What general subject area do you want.
    Try open college or cmit. Or do a search on fetch courses.ie.

Ill give these a try, thank you

• Advertisement
Advertisement