Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

Graham wrote: »
    Only if you're building it yourself.

Not to say it never happens but I've never heard of anyone being given the drawings to a house they've bought off a developer.
    Chances are the measurements in the plans do not match the physical building so they will not hand over the plans

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

brisan wrote: »
    Chances are the measurements in the plans do not match the physical building so they will not hand over the plans

I don’t understand why we accept this

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

brisan wrote: »
    I don’t understand why we accept this

Well, for one thing no house is going to match the plans exactly, it doesn't matter how perfect the developer is. If the plans say your living room wall is 3000mm long and it's actually 2980mm long you can be sure that there'll be someone complain.

But I don't believe this is the reason. You're buying a house, not the plans on how to build the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

awec wrote: »
    Well, for one thing no house is going to match the plans exactly, it doesn't matter how perfect the developer is. If the plans say your living room wall is 3000mm long and it's actually 2980mm long you can be sure that there'll be someone complain.

But I don't believe this is the reason. You're buying a house, not the plans on how to build the house.

There are on the planning website anyway. Would be very surprised if the developer wouldn't give you the generic unit drawings for the house type you have purchased if you asked for them. They are no use to the developer once the house is sold. I'd be asking for them anyway

If they refuse, I'm sure the foreman would send them to you if you asked. In the unlikely event you ever wanted to extend, they would be very handy to have.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

There are on the planning website anyway. Would be very surprised if the developer wouldn't give you the generic unit drawings for the house type you have purchased if you asked for them. They are no use to the developer once the house is sold. I'd be asking for them anyway

If they refuse, I'm sure the foreman would send them to you if you asked. In the unlikely event you ever wanted to extend, they would be very handy to have.

You can get the planning drawings on the planning site but they are different I believe. They're a lot more basic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

I have the drawings for my house we bought in 2008. No idea who we got them from but there in my big "house stuff" folder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

God luck I’ve one going on market next week then I’m putting my own up
    Really nervous about buying and selling on same day

Thank you and good luck with yours, its nerve wracking!!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Housebuying

EA rang me yesterday and said if I want the house cleared by the close date, he knew someone who would do it for a €1000.

I told him to get the vendor to clear and not bother me. I won't close without it cleared even if I sit on it for 6 months. He said he was doing me a favour as I'm keen to close. WTF? Scam?

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Littleredcar

EA rang me yesterday and said if I want the house cleared by the close date, he knew someone who would do it for a €1000.

I told him to get the vendor to clear and not bother me. I won't close without it cleared even if I sit on it for 6 months. He said he was doing me a favour as I'm keen to close. WTF? Scam?

Did you buy it with contents as seen

Did you buy it with contents as seen

No and we requested that it was cleared as part of the contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Westieatheart

Looking for some advice, we went sale agreed on our house about 11 weeks ago and had agreed a closing date of the 25th of this month, the sale while it has progressed has gotten to the position we are in today following a lot of poking and prodding by the estate agent and ourselves, the purchasers are either extremely relaxed or not very organized (they took 2 weeks alone to appoint a solicitor for the purchase after we went sale agreed and then never followed up with the bank to organise the valuation and only pushed to get their loan offer when we refused a second viewing).

This is all within the context of them sending long lists of queries including wanting dimensions of the appliances copies of guarantees and instruction manuals for every appliance and hardware in the property (all reasonable stuff we were happy to provide albeit we thought unusual they sought this info so early in the process i.e pre loan offer)

Long story short we were meant to sign contracts last week, as there solicitor and the purchaser advised they had signed over a week ago however they have still not sent the contracts or the contract monies to my solicitor, we have been pushing to find out what the delay is to send them over (we thought this was a simple process) and eventually we found out yesterday the purchasers don't physically have the contract monies as some of their deposit is being funded as part of the deal they are doing with the bank, I'm not sure if we are getting the full picture however they did include a subject to finance clause in the contract which we were happy with given we knew they required a mortgage, Sorry if im rambling here..

Anyways we have been trying to find a rental and lost out on a number of places. we are afraid to hand over a couple of thousand to an estate agent when we know the sale is not fully secure right now.. we are extremely stressed as the whole deposit debacle only raised its head yesterday after multiple white lies coming from the other party up til now.

My question really is is this normal to be relying on finance for the deposit element of the purchase and are we now in a far more risky situation? The purchaser advised the EA yesterday that they would potentially have the money by the end of the week but I really have lost trust in them at this point. I know we have an option to walk away but the thoughts of having to go through the viewing process etc and the whole thing again for 3 months fills us with dread.

To make matters worse we got offered an ideal rental yesterday, close to where our family lives and ticks every box imaginable but we are super nervous to commit in case we end up having to pay the rent on that plus the mortgage here if this all goes Pete Tong. They want an answer today and money by thursday so we feel under even more pressure now.

I'm confused as I thought to get your loan offer you have to evidence you have the remaining balance of funds so on this basis they had showed the bank they had the finance.. has anyone else been in this situation and have any wise words..

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Queenio

No and we requested that it was cleared as part of the contract.

They are being cheeky. You're entitled to vacant possession. I just bought and we included the same clause in contract. Not spending a Fortune getting rid of someone else's crap. Vendors are sorting clearance next week no questions asked. We are rushing our sale through too.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Ipro

My god , the nerve of them !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Looking for some advice, we went sale agreed on our house about 11 weeks ago and had agreed a closing date of the 25th of this month, the sale while it has progressed has gotten to the position we are in today following a lot of poking and prodding by the estate agent and ourselves, the purchasers are either extremely relaxed or not very organized (they took 2 weeks alone to appoint a solicitor for the purchase after we went sale agreed and then never followed up with the bank to organise the valuation and only pushed to get their loan offer when we refused a second viewing).

This is all within the context of them sending long lists of queries including wanting dimensions of the appliances copies of guarantees and instruction manuals for every appliance and hardware in the property (all reasonable stuff we were happy to provide albeit we thought unusual they sought this info so early in the process i.e pre loan offer)

Long story short we were meant to sign contracts last week, as there solicitor and the purchaser advised they had signed over a week ago however they have still not sent the contracts or the contract monies to my solicitor, we have been pushing to find out what the delay is to send them over (we thought this was a simple process) and eventually we found out yesterday the purchasers don't physically have the contract monies as some of their deposit is being funded as part of the deal they are doing with the bank, I'm not sure if we are getting the full picture however they did include a subject to finance clause in the contract which we were happy with given we knew they required a mortgage, Sorry if im rambling here..

Anyways we have been trying to find a rental and lost out on a number of places. we are afraid to hand over a couple of thousand to an estate agent when we know the sale is not fully secure right now.. we are extremely stressed as the whole deposit debacle only raised its head yesterday after multiple white lies coming from the other party up til now.

My question really is is this normal to be relying on finance for the deposit element of the purchase and are we now in a far more risky situation? The purchaser advised the EA yesterday that they would potentially have the money by the end of the week but I really have lost trust in them at this point. I know we have an option to walk away but the thoughts of having to go through the viewing process etc and the whole thing again for 3 months fills us with dread.

To make matters worse we got offered an ideal rental yesterday, close to where our family lives and ticks every box imaginable but we are super nervous to commit in case we end up having to pay the rent on that plus the mortgage here if this all goes Pete Tong. They want an answer today and money by thursday so we feel under even more pressure now.

I'm confused as I thought to get your loan offer you have to evidence you have the remaining balance of funds so on this basis they had showed the bank they had the finance.. has anyone else been in this situation and have any wise words..
    Apologies I can't offer insight on the rest as I'm an FTB myself, but that to me does not seem like reasonable requests for information.. or am I missing something?!

Queenio wrote: »
    They are being cheeky. You're entitled to vacant possession. I just bought and we included the same clause in contract. Not spending a Fortune getting rid of someone else's crap. Vendors are sorting clearance next week no questions asked. We are rushing our sale through too.

He had the absolute gall to tell that the vendors were working and too busy to clear the house. We are sale agreed 2.5 months.

The vendors have inherited the house so they should take some of their inheritance and pay someone to clear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sesame

I'm on the other side right now. You are right, we can't get our loan offer until its in my account. We can't get the bank's valuation survey until the funds are there either. They are stringing you along, I wouldn't trust them at all at this point. Can you pin them down to a date and pull out if they can't commit? Can you afford to re-market it at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Littleredcar

Sesame wrote: »
    I'm on the other side right now. You are right, we can't get our loan offer until its in my account. We can't get the bank's valuation survey until the funds are there either. They are stringing you along, I wouldn't trust them at all at this point. Can you pin them down to a date and pull out if they can't commit? Can you afford to re-market it at this stage?

If they are not first time buyers there deposit may be tied up in equity

Sesame wrote: »

We can afford it but the hassle and stress is probably a different kettle! We've also just postponed our wedding so this is the nail on the coffin.. My solicitor just rang and is now concerned with the purchasers being genuine at this point

If they are not first time buyers there deposit may be tied up in equity

Yes they are not FTB's so this could be / is the case from what I understand :( to be honest we just want some transparency and communication even the purchasers solicitor seems to not have a full picture at this point

Ask for an honest position I was in their position had 3/4 of a house price in equity so only looking for small mortgage of 100 but nothing in an account

Cheers, that's exactly it.. we genuinely just want an honest position, if they need some additional time to secure funds thats grand but agreeing to a closing date and stringing us along seems a bit disingenuous

• Advertisement

givyjoe wrote: »
    Apologies I can't offer insight on the rest as I'm an FTB myself, but that to me does not seem like reasonable requests for information.. or am I missing something?!
    We thought it was overkill ourselves but were happy to give it to them to keep the peace.

I would have looked for some of the details myself if i was buying but wouldn't have the nerve to ask until we were very close to closing the deal not immediately after going sale agreed. each to their own as they say..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

We thought it was overkill ourselves but were happy to give it to them to keep the peace.

I would have looked for some of the details myself if i was buying but wouldn't have the nerve to ask until we were very close to closing the deal not immediately after going sale agreed. each to their own as they say..

Might be a silly question, and genuinely not being smart, but why would such information be needed? Specifically manuals. Perhaps that's why I keep breaking my toasters :D (i.e. not reading). The dimensions I can probably guess at being able to find replacements that fit etc,

givyjoe wrote: »
    Might be a silly question, and genuinely not being smart, but why would such information be needed? Specifically manuals. Perhaps that's why I keep breaking my toasters :D (i.e. not reading). The dimensions I can probably guess at being able to find replacements that fit etc,

No idea - some were for the heating system, pump etc which are reasonable but they wanted the guarantees for the ovens, hob, integrated fridge etc, the stuff is all pretty new (everything under 2 years old) with a lot of them still under warranty. I don't overly care they asked for them the point was more around they were pushing us for detail on detail but yet on the flip side have provided nothing other than the highest bid.. which is something if we can ever close the deal

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

It does sound like they're trying to drag things out for some reason.

Have you had a chat with your EA? How close was the nearest underbidder?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Moving!

Long-time lurker, first-time poster...
    We're looking to buy a house that requires an extension and we have the funds to cover 20% of the property cost plus 20% of the added value/cost of the extension. However, our mortgage broker has let us know that banks like to see payments made first (for 12 months) on the mortgage before they will top up a mortgage to allow for extra work to be carried out. Anyone know if this is standard?
    We've gone sale agreed on our own house and time is not on our side here! The job isn't something that requires planning permission, but we could have plans in place and even a contract with a builder in place if required. Just wondering if any of you know if it is a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Moving! wrote: »
    Long-time lurker, first-time poster...
    We're looking to buy a house that requires an extension and we have the funds to cover 20% of the property cost plus the added value/cost of the extension. However, our mortgage broker has let us know that banks like to see payments made first (for 12 months) on the mortgage before they will top up a mortgage to allow for extra work to be carried out. Anyone know if this is standard?
    We've gone sale agreed on our own house and time is not on our side here! The job isn't something that requires planning permission, but we could have plans in place and even a contract with a builder in place if required. Just wondering if any of you know if it is a possibility.

If you have the funds to cover the 20% deposit & the works to be carried out, why would you need to get a top up on the mortgage?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Moving!

Sorry Vikings, I wasn't clear enough - we have the funds to cover 20% of the property price plus 20% of the works to be carried out. I have edited the original post to reflect this.

Graham wrote: »
    It does sound like they're trying to drag things out for some reason.

Have you had a chat with your EA? How close was the nearest underbidder?

Yeah they seem to have been a bit blindsided by this too, they have been trying to push but not getting anywhere, spoke with them today that we would be giving them a deadline then re-engaging with the under bidder, c.10k in the difference I think from the current offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Sorry Vikings, I wasn't clear enough - we have the funds to cover 20% of the property price plus 20% of the works to be carried out. I have edited the original post to reflect this.

If the house is perfect for you, maybe just wait the 12 months? Failing that you could just get a separate loan for the other 80% you require.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Is an extension essential? The property we bought is fine for us size wise now, but we are planning to convert the attic and extending the kitchen but that's our longer term plan.... 6-7 years maybe. It's a marathon not a sprint with the mortgage :D

Advertisement