Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

• 20-07-2018 3:09pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Other one is getting close to the 10K limit and training camps and inevitable injuries are about to start!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I suppose this new thread is as good a time as any to get focused on the new season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

Other one is getting close to the 10K limit and training camps and inevitable injuries are about to start!

You forgot to add "Denver Broncos & the "Insert Certain Users" Obession with the Patriots" to the thread title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

I created the original thread years ago as every little story was getting its own thread but i still cringe a little at my thread title so please feel free to change it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Hazys wrote: »
    I created the original thread years ago as every little story was getting its own thread but i still cringe a little at my thread title so please feel free to change it.

Don't want to wreck a masterpiece..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

Don't want to wreck a masterpiece..

I agree the thread is now somewhat Iconic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭mikemac2

The Baltimore media constantly asking if plays will be designed for Lamar Jackson

And some plays have been done with Flacco & RGIII or Flacco & Jackson getting on the field the same time.

Tis all hype. Harbaugh doesn't call plays but he's very conservative and this sort of thing doesn't happen in Baltimore. Not even with super mobile Tyrod Taylor. You'd have to go back to another Heisman winner Troy Smith when Harbaugh was a new HC to see these packages

Flacco will start every 2018 game as normal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

I read yesterday that Flacco held workouts with his wide receivers this year, something he hasn't done for 7 years.

I thought in this day and age that it was a given that QBs and WRs got together in their own time for some workouts. I was surprised to read that.

It was two sessions in a park. I'm sure they did some good work but nothing intensive or structuring workouts in a high school facility or anything

I remember Mark Sanchez used to fly his WR & TE corps to California. To be commended I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 10,832 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

JaMarcus wrote: »
    I read yesterday that Flacco held workouts with his wide receivers this year, something he hasn't done for 7 years.

I thought in this day and age that it was a given that QBs and WRs got together in their own time for some workouts. I was surprised to read that.

It is amazing what the pressure of someone snapping at your heels does. Looking the other way I doubt there is no correlation between Garoppolo leaving the Pats and Brady finding reasons to miss OTAs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,640 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Tony Sparano has died suddenly aged 56. He was currently the O Line coach for the Vikings

• Advertisement

Barkley signed his deal today and despite never taking the field as a pro he became the 4th highest paid RB on an average annual basis in the league and the highest guaranteed money for an RB.

There is very little doubt that he is going to be some level of success but after what they could have used the pick on and the amount of money they have to pay him he needs to be consistently at an all-pro level to be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Foxtrol wrote: »
    It is amazing what the pressure of someone snapping at your heels does. Looking the other way I doubt there is no correlation between Garoppolo leaving the Pats and Brady finding reasons to miss OTAs.

Garoppolo was never a real treat to Tom. Although if i was a 49ers fans(which i'm not) if Garoppolo can carry forward the form he had for the last five games of last season, then the niners will be there of there abouts.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Garoppolo was never a real treat to Tom. Although if i was a 49ers fans(which i'm not) if Garoppolo can carry forward the form he had for the last five games of last season, then the niners will be there of there abouts.

Not sure if Tom agrees with you. He has talked about hating giving up any first team reps in practice (even when it was in the best interest of the team) and suddenly after the guy coming up behind him is traded he decides he is busy for OTAs.

It is all theoretical but if Tom missed the first 5 games of last season and Garoppolo played like he did in the last 5 for the 49ers then very different choices could have been made.

More of a coaching question but just wondering

I was watching last chance U on Netflix and the head coach signals in the plays a bit like they do in baseball only far less complicated than the major leagues

The plays are quite basic (though the coach reckons he is a genius :rolleyes: )and easy to follow. If the coach slants his arm across his chest that’s a slant. Sticks his thumb outwards that’s a pitch. Pretty easy

Are there any rule stoppping a coach on the opposite sideline or even the middle linebacker to watch these signals and adjusting the defense?

I know Americans have these “unwritten rules” and etiquette like not running up the score so maybe it’s frowned on

I think if I was sitting in the stands I could figure out the plays just watching the coach

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

I was wondering the same thing myself when watching it, and he pretty much showed half of them to the camera man. I know it was filmed last year, but i dont think he's the type of coach to go and change them this year if he's still the head coach ( I'd say they're the exact same ones he used when he was playing). Not that any of it matters cause the QB will just change the play as soon as he gets to the LOS anyway :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Absolutely nothing stopping someone trying to read hand signals, but you don't have time to in practice.
    The defence needs to have a play ready to go for a quick snap, which means getting you're own call in quickly and giving the linebackers time to read the offensive formation and personnel groupings to make their own pre-snap adjustments.
    Waiting to read the coaches signals before getting ready for the snap would leave you on the back foot.

Just had a quick look at rule changes there and the overtime one is cofusing me. From wikipedia:
    In overtime, when a team is ahead by 3 points, a down will run to its conclusion and all applicable points will score, even if there is a loss of possession. Previously, the offense of the trailing team could not legally score if they lost and regained possession and reached the opponent's end zone all on the same play. The rule remains that if there is a double change of possession on a play with one team in the lead, it is the last play of the game.
    How is this different? If you're trailing and lose the ball the down ends, game over. If you're trailing and lose the ball and gain it back the game is over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭ Charlie Scarce Tang

Not sure if Tom agrees with you. He has talked about hating giving up any first team reps in practice (even when it was in the best interest of the team) and suddenly after the guy coming up behind him is traded he decides he is busy for OTAs.

It is all theoretical but if Tom missed the first 5 games of last season and Garoppolo played like he did in the last 5 for the 49ers then very different choices could have been made.
    7 TDs with 5 INTs versus 32 TDs and just 8 INTs (and the reining MVP)? There was no choice to be made. Jimmy looked even better in his 1.5 games the previous season, and there still wasn't a decision to be made.
    You can make up the theory, but it's behind the whole Butler and Guerrero sagas.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

This is the last week without a college or NFL game until after the Super Bowl! :D

https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/1021426375536857090?s=21

I wonder if Josh Gordon’s leave of absence has anything to do with getting him away from the Hard Knocks cameras?

• Advertisement

7 TDs with 5 INTs versus 32 TDs and just 8 INTs (and the reining MVP)? There was no choice to be made. Jimmy looked even better in his 1.5 games the previous season, and there still wasn't a decision to be made.
    You can make up the theory, but it's behind the whole Butler and Guerrero sagas.

How does comparing stats for a player over a season against another having just five games make any sense? If you look at the stats over the same 5 game period Brady actually had one more interception than Garoppolo and only 3 additional TDs (10 TDs with 6 Ints) and that was with Brady having a far superior team around him at the Patriots, knowing those players long enough to build strong chemistry, and having the same HC for 15 plus years compared to the few weeks/months for Garoppolo.

I admit a random 5 game sample isn’t ideal either, but it isn’t as disingenuous as the stats you were throwing out.

From everything that has come out of the Patriots, including official statements, there clearly was a choice to be made and I don’t see how anyone could claim that a larger sample size of good performances from Garoppolo would have made the decision easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Paully D wrote: »

I wonder if Josh Gordon’s leave of absence has anything to do with getting him away from the Hard Knocks cameras?

this was the first thing that came into my head when i read it

How does comparing stats for a player over a season against another having just five games make any sense?
    If you can't see the relevance of 5 INTs in 5 games, compared to 8 INTs in 16 games, then ok. You can call actual stats disingenuous if you wish. I'll let you continue with theoretical stuff.

Paully D wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if they got much for him. He'd a number of big catches late in SB 51, but he's been a non factor since. The trade must be a reflection of his currently injury status.

If you can't see the relevance of 5 INTs in 5 games, compared to 8 INTs in 16 games, then ok. You can call actual stats disingenuous if you wish. I'll let you continue with theoretical stuff.

So, the stat you’re worried about is the one where Garoppolo had one fewer interception than Brady in the period they both played? Garoppolo was always going to make some mistakes given that he had a few weeks to learn a notoriously hard playbook (even an obviously pared down version of it), not knowing his new teammates, playing behind a previously porous OL, and was throwing mostly to late draft picks, UDFAs, and guys believed to be journeymen at best.

Despite all that there is nothing theoretical that in 2017 Garoppolo was the most efficient QB in scoring drives in the NFL (with 60%, Brady was 2nd with 52.8%), he ranked third in the NFL in yardage per game (410 per game), fifth in scoring (28.8 points), and finished first in yards per attempt (8.44).

It was still a small sample but if he can come close to that level of performance next season I’ll be very happy that there ‘wasn’t a decision to be made’ by the Patriots.

So, the stat you’re worried about is the one where Garoppolo had one fewer interception than Brady in the period they both played?
    I’m not worried about it at all. And the stat is one fewer INT in 1/3 of the games. It disingenuous to suggest it’s about one fewer INT.
    It was still a small sample but if he can come close to that level of performance next season I’ll be very happy that there ‘wasn’t a decision to be made’ by the Patriots.
    Yes, we know the agenda.
    Even if this is Brady’s last season, I’m still ok with keeping him (esp as he’s the reigning MVP, coming off an outstanding SB performance). Was a fan before Bill/Brady arrived, and will be when they are gone. Two legends who I hope will leave with the Pats as their last team.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I’m not worried about it at all. And the stat is one fewer INT in 1/3 of the games. It disingenuous to suggest it’s about one fewer INT.

It is one fewer INT over the same 5-game period.

I doubt, given Brady's stature, that anything different would have happened anyway. Though realistically that might be a fairly short-sighted view. Putting Manning back in for the Giants last year was utterly bananas and the complete wrong decision but such is the nature of the NFL and the status of QBs in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

How is this different? If you're trailing and lose the ball the down ends, game over. If you're trailing and lose the ball and gain it back the game is over.
    Team trailing by 3 in OT throws an Int, DB then fumbles during his return, Offense picks up fumble and runs it in for a TD.
    Old Rule - Play is dead when offense recover the ball, no points scored
    New Rule - Game is over after this play, if a TD is scored it will still count.

• Advertisement

Garoppolo only played week 12-17 and had 5 INTS while during the same week 12-17 period Brady had 6 INTS. That is Garoppolo having one fewer INT over the same game week period.
    Yes, we know the agenda.

What agenda? I’m regularly questioning of other teams and players and no one claims an ‘agenda’.

Advertisement