Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Airtricity deposit.. Tenant or Landlord?

• 20-01-2012 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm in a bit of a pickle. Recently one of my flatmates moved out, he had been looking after the Airtricity bill. One of my other flatmates decided to take it over, however all he's done is to put his name on the bill.

We were sent out a notice that we need to pay a 300 euro deposit for the change of the account. The problem is, he's recently told one of my flatmates that he's leaving in a few days, and he's still not done anything about the deposit, nor looked after the paying the previous bill (which was very small for some reason). Most people in the house would find it hard to pay the deposit as we recently had a very expensive bill.

Should the Landlord pay for this deposit? I only ask, as how is that deposit supposed to be sorted out amongst the flatmates if 2 of them are moving out within a month? (someone else is moving out too within a month)

He keeps saying he'll call the landlord, but he's not done it yet, and he's leaving in 2 days. We got another letter this morning reminding us it needs to be paid.

Has anyone reading this got their Landlord to pay this?

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭markpb

The deposit is there to cover the possibility that you'll all leave without paying the bill so I don't think it makes much sense for the landlord to pay it for you.

What we did (in a previous house) is to split the deposit evenly between everyone in the house. If someone moves out, they get their share of the deposit from whoever takes their place. If the house empties completely, the remaining people in the house get the deposit back from ESB/Airtricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭going un-reg

Hi Mark,

I was thinking that alright, I'm just going to struggle to pay my side of it. I guess I'll just have to deal with it. Thank you for the info :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

If you do not choose to pay by Direct Debit, you will be required to pay a security deposit of €300.

http://www.airtricity.com/ie/home/smarter-energy/payments-made-better/

Advertisement