Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC Proms 2015

• 13-07-2015 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭

It's that time of year again: Proms. First Night is this coming Friday:
    Sakari Oramo conducts this year’s opening concert, in a programme that includes Walton’s pithy choral masterpiece 'Belshazzar’s Feast' and Mozart’s Piano Concerto No. 20 with soloist Lars Vogt. Broadcast live on BBC Two on Friday 17 July.

I won't be over in the UK myself, so I'll be limited to what the BBC shows on TV, but that'll be plenty across their channels. I'm particularly interested in Baroque and Classical periods at the moment, and was a bit disappointed how little there was of them last year, but so far this year is looking better: for example, Haydn is featured in Proms 5 and 6, next Monday & Tuesday (to be broadcast later).

I'm also looking forward to number 50: Sir András Schiff performs Bach's Goldberg Variations (Sep 3, BBC Four). Yo Yo Ma is back for Bach's Six Cello Suites on 10 September, Prom 68 (BBC Four).

I'm still digging through the program for other highlights - is anyone else looking forward to anything in particular?

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I'd like to go some year. I often miss it on the TV, but bits often end up on Youtube. Some of the stuff is just breathtaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

There is a lot of stuff there alright, makes me wish i knew more. I'll catch what i can on youtube afterwards for sure.

If i was able to get tickets then The Planets (13) would be epic to see. 32 could be interesting. I love the concert band version of Equus, and Rhapsody in Blue is probably the piece that did the most in getting me interested in classical music (for some reason i had an mp3 of the last 5 mins or so and not the start, someone asked me one day did i like the clarinet at the start and i didn't know aht they were talking about). I would love the see the Evelyn Glennie set also! (Proms Chamber Music 4). The Firebird (36) and Rite of Spring (56) would be epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I'm enjoying the Proms Extra programs too, discussing various works played that week. Katie Derham presents, and she made the mistake of asking Dame Kiri te Kanewa about a percussion concerto:
    Me? I'm lost. Completely lost. I couldn't find a tune, and I'm thinking "over to you" (next guest).
    40 years ago, when I came over here, I listened to modern music. I really thought "I must listen to it", and I heard (sings) "ding" ... "dong" ... "tong" - and I thought "my goodness, it's very similar, 40 years on I'm hearing sort-of the same thing". But I'm being very irreverant to this wonderful person. Modern music is difficult, I'm finding it very difficult.
    The Dame is Old School. :pac:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Eric Whitacre's efforts seem to have gone across well, from what I read.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Gheadphone

I went across last year and saw Leif Ove Andsnes and the Mahler Chamber Orchestra play Beethovens 1st and 4th Piano concerto.

It was a fantastic experience and i can't wait to see what is on the 2016 bill, I'm hoping to get over for a couple of concerts this time.

• Advertisement

Shure the Proms have a podcast, don't ya know? Link.

• Advertisement
Advertisement