Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VHF HH radio from USA work ok in Ireland?

• 27-08-2013 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Can anybody tell me whether a handheld vhf radio bought stateside will function fully here please?
    I have a cruiser on the Shannon, and want to buy a HH VHF for added peace of mind, weather alerts, and safety etc. It seems I can save quite a bit by buying it in the States. I'm looking at a Cobra HH330, €140 UK, €70 USA.
    I anticipate the the mains charger will be set for 110v ac, but it also comes with a 12v car socket charger, so not an issue really.
    I really just need to be sure that the frequency bands etc will be compatable here.
    Any comments welcome. John

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

US VHF has some different channels and frequencies to European/International sets. Check if it has the inbuilt option to be changed to 'I' or International or if you can buy the International set rather than the US set.

Will the warranty be global or US only?

Also be sure you've figured in the cost of keeping Irish Customs happy on the import if arriving by post or courier.

Here's a link of the differences between the channels.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/attachments/marine-electronics-forum/162266d1300380185-difference-between-intermational-us-frequencies-vhf-vhf-channel-info.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Nutleyphoto

Thanks Tabnabs,
    Found an instruction manual on-line, and there is indeed an option to select U, C, or I for International.
    I hope a friend of mine will bring it home for me as a present sometime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 CAtocork

I have some as well.
    We use channel 01 for non marine use.
    Never had an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭antietam1

Can anybody tell me whether a handheld vhf radio bought stateside will function fully here please?
    I have a cruiser on the Shannon, and want to buy a HH VHF for added peace of mind, weather alerts, and safety etc. It seems I can save quite a bit by buying it in the States. I'm looking at a Cobra HH330, €140 UK, €70 USA.
    I anticipate the the mains charger will be set for 110v ac, but it also comes with a 12v car socket charger, so not an issue really.
    I really just need to be sure that the frequency bands etc will be compatable here.
    Any comments welcome. John

Bought the standard horizon hx210e at €125 inc delivery from Marine parts direct, its charger was advertised 12v car and 110v mains.
    When I opened the box charger does 240v to 110v, you slide of the 2pin and slide in the 3pin.
    Have it set on UK now and got the coastguard here in Clondalkin, some issue off Dalkey it seems.
    Marine parts are having a sale now inc Cobra, 5w minimum for mine
    Hope to see you on lough Derg sometime.
    Sorry wrong thread.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

This is only a Cobra HH150, but should be ample for Lough Derg (or any inland waterways use). €79.95 from Marine Parts Direct in Swords with free shipping.
    https://marineparts.ie/electronics/vhf/handheld-vhf-radios/lapel-speaker-mic-for-cobra-h-held-vhf-clone/

The HH350 is only €116 from Marine Parts
    https://marineparts.ie/electronics/vhf/handheld-vhf-radios/cobra-hh350-6w-floating-vhf/

HH125 is only €69.99 in OS Marine
    https://www.osmarine.ie/electronics/vhf-radios-electronics?product_id=320

I myself picked up an Icom IC-M25 from Amazon about 2 years ago as a back up for the boat (which has a fixed VHF), and have to say it's a great little radio, and I'd probably use that more than the fixed VHF, particularly when calling ahead to marina's looking for a berth. It's a little bit more pricy than the Cobra's, but Icom are probably one of the best known brands out there. (Will also be taking it with me on the Shannon later this year)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,031 ✭✭✭✭neris

I wouldnt touch a cobra handheld. Weve had 2 of them and they barely lasted. The 1st one the plates on the back for charging corroded off and the 2nd stopped working for no reason
    This is only a Cobra HH150, but should be ample for Lough Derg (or any inland waterways use). €79.95 from Marine Parts Direct in Swords with free shipping.
    https://marineparts.ie/electronics/vhf/handheld-vhf-radios/lapel-speaker-mic-for-cobra-h-held-vhf-clone/

The HH350 is only €116 from Marine Parts
    https://marineparts.ie/electronics/vhf/handheld-vhf-radios/cobra-hh350-6w-floating-vhf/

HH125 is only €69.99 in OS Marine
    https://www.osmarine.ie/electronics/vhf-radios-electronics?product_id=320

I myself picked up an Icom IC-M25 from Amazon about 2 years ago as a back up for the boat (which has a fixed VHF), and have to say it's a great little radio, and I'd probably use that more than the fixed VHF, particularly when calling ahead to marina's looking for a berth. It's a little bit more pricy than the Cobra's, but Icom are probably one of the best known brands out there. (Will also be taking it with me on the Shannon later this year)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have been through a lot of handheld VHF's in my job.
    The biggest thing that kills them is getting wet with salt water and then not being washed in fresh afterwards and dried.
    I use some anti-oxidant spray on the terminals every now and then to keep them from corroding away.
    Icom last well with care but lesser brands like Cobra and the likes are built down to a price and will show it in due course.
    You really get what you pay for with VHF radio's, and given the fact that these are first and foremost safety devices you want one that will work when you need it to.
    Also don't forget these units are low powered (<5w) and work in line of sight and may not work very well if there is headlands or cliffs between the transmitter and the receiver.

Talking about radioing in for a berth, it used to be the routine on L Derg to send the rib on ahead for the good spots.
    Here in Clondalkin in the garden getting the coast guard forecast on ch16, also what seems to be Dublin port on ch12.
    Will be on the Shannon/Lough Derg myself last week in August.
    My walkie talkies wont communicate with the Standard Horizon sadly.

antietam1 wrote: »
    Talking about radioing in for a berth, it used to be the routine on L Derg to send the rib on ahead for the good spots.
    Here in Clondalkin in the garden getting the coast guard forecast on ch16, also what seems to be Dublin port on ch12.
    Will be on the Shannon/Lough Derg myself last week in August.
    My walkie talkies wont communicate with the Standard Horizon sadly.

That is indeed Dublin Port on channel 12, their callsign is VTS Dublin or sometimes just VTS

That is indeed Dublin Port on channel 12, their callsign is VTS Dublin or sometimes just VTS

Thanks, what sold me on hx210e was the manual says to rinse it in a bucket after sea spray.
    My kind of radio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

antietam1 wrote: »
    Thanks, what sold me on hx210e was the manual says to rinse it in a bucket after sea spray.
    My kind of radio.
    Any handheld VHF that can't tolerate being wet is worth exactly nothing IMHO.
    The newer Icoms float so if you drop them overboard they float and a light flashes so you can retrieve them.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Any handheld VHF that can't tolerate being wet is worth exactly nothing IMHO.
    The newer Icoms float so if you drop them overboard they float and a light flashes so you can retrieve them.

Mine does that, though I haven’t tested it yet!!

Mine does that, though I haven’t tested it yet!!

Mine too, and me neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭AnnaStezia

The best hand-held I ever had was a Navico RTM1.

It had 2 transmit power settings as well as that USA / International switch.
    It was so good it picked up both sides of many duplex channels by flicking the USA/Intl selector !

Unfortunately, the battery pack has died i.e. it is not holding it's charge.
    I cannot trace any suppliers to find a replacement battery pack.
    Any ideas ?

I suspect that I will have to get a set of individual AA size rechargeables of same amperage capacity and construct a new pack !

AnnaStezia wrote: »
    The best hand-held I ever had was a Navico RTM1.

It had 2 transmit power settings as well as that USA / International switch.
    It was so good it picked up both sides of many duplex channels by flicking the USA/Intl selector !

Unfortunately, the battery pack has died i.e. it is not holding it's charge.
    I cannot trace any suppliers to find a replacement battery pack.
    Any ideas ?

I suspect that I will have to get a set of individual AA size rechargeables of same amperage capacity and construct a new pack !
    There is a battery company in Harolds cross that sell car and motor bike batteries;
    They also make replacement batteries for electric drills etc, might be worth a look.
    not sure if reopened yet. https://batteryworld.ie/pages/dublin-kimmage

Advertisement