Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Options for parents who have raised there kids?

Options
  • 25-05-2020 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

Hi

My mum is looking to get some qualifications as her youngest child is in college. She has been a stay at home mum for the last 25 years and is looking to do some courses and hopefully get a job.

She doesn't really know what she wants to do, but she wants to do something. She previously mentioned having an interest working as a medical receptionist, but again she doesn't really know what she wants to do.

What options are there for someone to get training/certs/degrees and potentially enter the workforce. She's not old, she turned 48 last month. She easy has 20 years of working in her.

We're based in Dublin if that helps.
    Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wanderer19

Fair play to your mum. She could either go straight into a secretarial course at L5, or do some type of access course which will give her some experience of completing assignments, teamwork, computer skills etc.

If you look in the local etb or colleges they often have courses aimed at mature students to help ease them into student life.

Not sure what part of Dublin you're in, Northside I can recommend Colaiste Dhulaigh or Colaiste Idea, and I've heard Dun Laoire is also good.

Have a look and see what is available, there's loads of choice.

It's great that she's thinking of doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭emilymemily

Id also suggest a level 5 or 6 course, if you go onto the website of different institute's of further education around Dublin you can view their perspectives.
    Have a look at Sallynoggin, the Liberties, Griffith college and Marino college. There are lots more in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Does anyone have any insights into Pitman Training?

My mum has decided she would like to do a reception/secretary course here with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wanderer19

I looked into doing an Office MGMT course with them a few years ago. Quite expensive (c €2,500) for an online course. I already have accounts qualifications so they were willing to give me a couple of extra modules, but I also had to do their accounts modules, so it just meant extra work really.

Tbh, I don't like online courses, I want to be able to interact with other people, get their views on stuff, and it's hard to motivate yourself unless you're accountable to someone, but that's my personal opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,361 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

She is better off going to the nearest further education college there will be other people her age there and do a level 5, the reason is it will get her a qualification, the course will have work experience, they will have career guidance, It would help with her confidence.

She could just apply for job, she could get a jobs and see how she gets on the fact that she has not worked for 25 year will not necessarily hold her back depending on what part of Ireland she is in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,361 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Does anyone have any insights into Pitman Training?

My mum has decided she would like to do a reception/secretary course here with them.

Online training alone is not a great idea for someone in her situation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

She might like to get involved in next year's Census.

Advertisement