Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pneumatics 101 -- tennis gun

• 19-05-2016 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

I would like to start my own hobby project that would eventually function similar to a tennis ball gun and even further down using a raspberry pi (or similar) to control it when it gets fancy but before I start running I need to walk. I am guessing I need a pneumatic cylinder (double acting) to propel the objects but I am wondering what else do I need on my shopping list to get the basics up and running. e.g.

1) something to "power" the cylinder (drive in the air)
    2) some kind of control board for the cylinder?

and so on....

Maybe there are kits available? I have zero knowledge, experience in this area so all advice very welcome

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Mandzhalas

WalterR wrote: »
    Hi,

I would like to start my own hobby project that would eventually function similar to a tennis ball gun and even further down using a raspberry pi (or similar) to control it when it gets fancy but before I start running I need to walk. I am guessing I need a pneumatic cylinder (double acting) to propel the objects but I am wondering what else do I need on my shopping list to get the basics up and running. e.g.

1) something to "power" the cylinder (drive in the air)
    2) some kind of control board for the cylinder?

and so on....

Maybe there are kits available? I have zero knowledge, experience in this area so all advice very welcome

Thanks

Seen project for launching balls that uses 2 car radiator fans on same plane. air produced launches the ball. Very simple to design and make

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

If what you are designing launches a ball through a tube then be careful that the energy of the ball does not exceed 1 joule.
    For a 60 gram tennis ball, the launch velocity should not exceed 5.77 metres per second.
    If it does you need a firearms licence!

Per Irelands insanely stupid Firearms Act:

A firearm is defined as: "an air gun (including anair rifle and air pistol) with a muzzle energy greater than one joule or any other weapon incorporating a barrel from which any projectile can be discharged with such a muzzle energy"

• Registered Users Posts: 5 AShearer93

Genuinely interested how this project turned out, do you have any pictures. It sounds awesome.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Pkiernan wrote: »
    If what you are designing launches a ball through a tube then be careful that the energy of the ball does not exceed 1 joule.
    For a 60 gram tennis ball, the launch velocity should not exceed 5.77 metres per second.
    If it does you need a firearms licence!

Per Irelands insanely stupid Firearms Act:

A firearm is defined as: "an air gun (including anair rifle and air pistol) with a muzzle energy greater than one joule or any other weapon incorporating a barrel from which any projectile can be discharged with such a muzzle energy"

Technically you are 100% with respect to the requirement for a firearms license.

However, as a licensed firearms owner I can assure you that the authorities routinely ignore this poorly written firearms legislation. Here is just one of many examples I could give you: Nail guns exceed the 1 joule limit by a country mile. They are used in thousands of sites all over ireland yet none are ever licensed.

Advertisement