Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Bandwagons

• 22-07-2019 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭

I saw it said in the Shane Lowry thread that him winning the Open has gotten the bandwagon fans on boards. I believe the Rugby one is due to pull in to the station soon though...

Which bandwagons do you recall being flavour of the month. Which annoyed you most? Did any of them pique your interest long-term and you became a fan because of a given athlete or team? Curious to know. Personally, I can't stand the arsehole that hops on the wagon and thinks they know everything.

Some I can think of off-hand would be;

Ireland at the Cricket World Cup in 2007.
    Bernard Dunne's rise and fall in the world of boxing.
    The O'Donovan brothers at the Olympics
    Ireland's Ladies in hockey

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

And to answer my own thread, I suppose Dublin football fans in the semi-final/final stages of the All-Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

The Peter Casey one.
    At least the rest are motivated by enjoyment and goodwill.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Kerry are notorious for only going to semi finals. I don't really get the haters when it comes to bandwagons, it's very difficult to support ROI in football sometimes but I understand why suddenly everyone supports them for a play off or if we've qualified for something.
    Golf also has a massive following in Ireland, probably more so than anywhere in the world really as the sport is so accessible here, so the hype around Lowry is understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

McGregor considering the amount that do MMA

Michelle Smith at the Olympics in 1996.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

Omackeral wrote: »
    I saw it said in the Shane Lowry thread that him winning the Open has gotten the bandwagon fans on boards. I believe the Rugby one is due to pull in to the station soon though...

Which bandwagons do you recall being flavour of the month. Which annoyed you most? Did any of them pique your interest long-term and you became a fan because of a given athlete or team? Curious to know. Personally, I can't stand the arsehole that hops on the wagon and thinks they know everything.

Love Island.

it's very difficult to support ROI in football sometimes but I understand why suddenly everyone supports them for a play off or if we've qualified for something.

People get caught up in the hype I guess. Plus it's a social thing and the buzz is contagious. I don't mind that. What I do hate are the sh!tebags who say ''I wouldn't watch that crap if it was in me back garden'' about an Ireland qualifier or friendly but then are Ole Ole-ing like a drunken leprechaun if we make it to a major tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

The Celtic Tiger!

We all partied!

The year Ireland beat England at the cricket World Cup and George Hook cried on the radio

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Anything that brings a bit of national pride is a good thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

When Ireland landed Neil O'Armstrong on da moon.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭mistersifter

the bandwagon know-it-alls you describe can be annoying at times, but there's also another side to the coin: the person who likes to have a go at the band-wagoners so as to let everyone know that they are either a real expert or too authentic to go with the flock. A bit of a hipstery attitude if you like.

A fella I know is big into Rugby and is fairly disparaging towards anyone who just watches 6 nations and doesn't sit through meaningless league games and know the name of every player of Munster's '78 side.

Fact is that people are entitled to enjoy big sporting occasions without being absolute hard-core fans. Everyone can't be a hard-core fanatic of every single thing they watch.

Are only the most knowledgeable and dedicated of golf fans are allowed to enjoy Lowry's win? I dont think that attitude has much benefit. The part-time fans are a good thing for their sports. They bring attention and cash. They're especially useful to lesser-followed sports. Without em, the likes of rowing or MMA or whatever would be eternally confined to the smallest of audiences.

Let the bandwagon have their day out, I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

And to answer my own thread, I suppose Dublin football fans in the semi-final/final stages of the All-Ireland.

Wexford fans in hurling!...i remeber going to a league match in wexford park 2 or 3 years ago and max of 300 people at it.....expect 30K yellowbellies in croker sunday

For national id say ufc like fair play to mcgregor etc etc....but its terrible boring to watch

(And rugby to lesser extent)

I think with the likes of UFC and McGregor fights in particular it can easily be partially because it's a handy bit of background noise. It's a good foundation/excuse for a social gathering like a house party as they typically occur on Saturday nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

The ‘RA.

Limerick after the Gaa last year..

They all abandoned their Munster jerseys for the green and white..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Sorry OP, too busy looking to buy some golf sticks and a wool jumper here to answer the question...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,683 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Just so you all know, I've been following this thread since the very beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

SodaStream

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Mental health awareness advocates.

(Self promotion through an easy avenue)

Bressie et al. Fcuk off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,968 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Brian o driscoll

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Michelle Smith at the Olympics in 1996.

Cian O'Connor/"Waterford Crystal" of the 2004 Olympics say Hello :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Omackeral wrote:

And to add to that, all the rural fans
    that were not in the stadiums yesterday but will be come semi and final day.

So pretty much every county in every final in hurling and football every year.

Or those Catholics who don't show every sunday but do on Christmas day.

Cheltenham- people become horse racing experts for a few days

• Registered Users Posts: 18,075 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Tayto ho taa teeee

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

All aboard the anti bandwagon bandwagon...

It comes along quite regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Arthur's day really made me lose respect for people. A day made up by a drinks company and people fell for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Arthur's day really made me lose respect for people. A day made up by a drinks company and people fell for it.

I don't know if "falling for it" was exactly how I'd put it: everyone knew it was a marketing campaign, but it handily became a day to get plastered en-masse. It was just an excuse to go on the beer. I could sneer at people for that I suppose, but I also know going on the beer is good fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Kerry are notorious for only going to semi finals. I don't really get the haters when it comes to bandwagons, it's very difficult to support ROI in football sometimes but I understand why suddenly everyone supports them for a play off or if we've qualified for something.
    Golf also has a massive following in Ireland, probably more so than anywhere in the world really as the sport is so accessible here, so the hype around Lowry is understandable.
    but Kerry thig isnt bandwagon. They'll go to Munster final in killarney or cork then to the all Ireland semis and theyre always in them...
    People get caught up in the hype I guess. Plus it's a social thing and the buzz is contagious. I don't mind that. What I do hate are the sh!tebags who say ''I wouldn't watch that crap if it was in me back garden'' about an Ireland qualifier or friendly but then are Ole Ole-ing like a drunken leprechaun if we make it to a major tournament.
    so they just get caught up in hype. Dont see why you would bother get annoyed by itm
    Uncharted wrote: »
    Mental health awareness advocates.

(Self promotion through an easy avenue)

Bressie et al. Fcuk off.
    nothing easy about talking about personal issues like this though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

The 'anti' bandwagon.

Other species could monitor us and have their version of David Attenborough narrate it. A heretofore popular individual or group is picked out and marked to be abolished. Most often observed to happen within the music industry.

The target is usually someone like U2, Madonna, Oasis, Coldplay, Ed Sheeran, etc and suddenly, seemingly overnight, the narrative switches from them being lauded for selling platinum albums or singles, filling concert venues and creating original stuff to experts (not really experts) on social media saying how terrible they are, all their stuff is rehashed, they phone in their live shows and they can't understand how anyone ever liked them.

I'm not saying any of the above are good or bad but I cringe when I see or hear people say things like 'they're good, if you like listening to 3 notes or the sound of a busker on a cd' and people falling over themselves to agree with it like Dave Fanning or Tom Dunne are ringing them for advice on what music to listen to.

Do NOT thank this comment. It'll make me in to a hypocrite. :mad:

Advertisement