Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Would you report someone for Social Welfare fraud

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Funny thing is though if you're from a certain ethnic minorities you'll be grand.,..

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

There is a non means tested scheme which gives free medication to people with specified conditions. This might be what the person on 80 K a year is getting?

https://www2.hse.ie/services/long-term-illness-scheme/long-term-illness.html

Reporting fraud is an anonymous process. So nobody should be afraid of being attacked, unless they go round telling the wrong people that they reported someone.

https://m.welfare.ie/en/Pages/secure/ReportFraud.aspx

I'm on that scheme, you don't get a medical card just all medications related to the illness are free. Still have to pay to see the doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭GSBellew

AulWan wrote: »
    Claimants of Disability Allowance are allowed to work up to 15 hours per week, in certain circumstances.

Someone can be granted a medical card based on medical grounds even if over the limit.

Someone can claim Jobseekers for days they don't work, while working other days.

My point is - unless you are 100% certain of your facts, then it leave well enough alone.

I'm always amazed by how much some people think they know about other peoples business.

Whilst I accept that you are correct in that there can be circumstances where it is legitimate, if that is the case reporting them won't affect them, as they will be found to be in the clear & above board, if not it is one less leach for the rest of us to pay for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Social welfare it is 2019 and they have the internet....

People are up to all sorts of scams such as single mothers but the father's are living with them even though they don't exist.

Social Welfare have no role in the awardiing or administration of medical cards.

Does the OP suspect this man's disability allowance claim is fraudulent? Does he even know the nature of his illness? It may not necessarily be a "visible" disability. As already been mentioned, those on disability are allowed work limited hours every week without it impacting on their payment. Disability Allowance is also one of the hardest benefits to be awarded, it is not a simple case of filling in a form.

The nature of his illness must also be something substantial to be granted a medical card with his wife's income at €80k.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Funny thing is though if you're from a certain ethnic minorities you'll be grand.,..

Collect your social welfare in your 191 Transit on the way to the community welfare officer for an emergency payment then onto the local councillor for a council house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,480 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

macnug wrote: »
    I'm on that scheme, you don't get a medical card just all medications related to the illness are free. Still have to pay to see the doctor.

Yes, as I said free medication. I'm on it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

If someone is eligible for a SW payment then they should receive it - no questions.

If someone is not eligible, then they shouldn't receive it...

If there's a query, then the proper department should double-check - if all is okay, then there's no problem, if it's not....then the payment stops.

The national SW bill is pretty high - you and I pay for it, through tax - I would rather not pay someone who is ineligible.

Report it, and the proper authorities will investigate - no harm done.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

62 posts in before any mention of the "ethnic minorities ", for shame AH , shame on you .
    #losing our touch.

If by grand you mean you know people who are doing fraud, you can report them.

GSBellew wrote: »
    Whilst I accept that you are correct in that there can be circumstances where it is legitimate, if that is the case reporting them won't affect them, as they will be found to be in the clear & above board, if not it is one less leach for the rest of us to pay for.

I wonder how much time is wasted in investigating unfounded / spurious / malicious claims each year?

Not to mention the stress endured by the person being investigated and their family. That's an affect.

I would never report anything unless I was 100% absolutely sure of all my facts in advance, and to me, it doesn't sound like the OP is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,466 ✭✭✭✭banie01

If he is claiming disability allowance, it is not means tested and his medical card could be on medical grounds.

Just on this point.
    Disability Allowance is means tested.
    Invalidity Pension is not.

Both however require an inordinate amount of review, medical evidence, including review by SW Doctors and supporting evidence regarding prognosis of recovery and ability to work.
    They also come with a Free Travel pass and free TV license OP!

Those sick/invalided bastárds are totally milking the system and get to watch RTÉ for free too!!!

Fupping disgrace so it is...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

You have our current Taoiseach verifiably protecting at least three TDs that commited insurance fraud. Three we know of. It might be more.

But yeah let’s rant about the OPs imaginary loads of people he knows scamming the dole AND hse AND local council.

Yes, as I said free medication. I'm on it myself.

Oh I know it's just the op said he had a medical card.

If by grand you mean you know people who are doing fraud, you can report them.

They are given extra status you mad they are untouchable.....

I wonder how much time is wasted in investigating unfounded / spurious / malicious claims each year?

Not to mention the stress endured by the person being investigated and their family. That's an affect.

I would never report anything unless I was 100% absolutely sure of all my facts in advance, and to me, it doesn't sound like the OP is.

By it's nature it is reporting suspected fraud. Some things should be clear, like claiming for a dead person, or claiming for someone who is in prison long term. Other things like claiming Lone Parents while living with a partner, might be an on off situation. No harm in making a report anyway, unless you know that there is a major amount of time being wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Is there a reward? Asking for a friend.

Yes there is.

Your country will be better off.

Don't you hate the feeling that someone is stealing your taxes(for their personal use) that you worked hard to pay.

More money for hospitals, education, transport and many other important community benefits.

Dob the scum in, give them the message to get their thriving hands out of your wallet!

They are given extra status you mad they are untouchable.....

Travellers, if that is who you mean are 0.7% of the general population, but 22% of the prison population. So far from untouchable by the criminal justice system.

If he's just getting a free medical card then I wouldn't bother tbh, what's that worth maybe 500-1000 a year. I know one person getting a lot more than that from sw because she uses a different second name from the one she is known by. I also know one other person who is self employed and doesn't pay a penny in tax. Don't know how he gets away with it.

macnug wrote: »
    If he's just getting a free medical card then I wouldn't bother tbh, what's that worth maybe 500-1000 a year. I know one person getting a lot more than that from sw because she uses a different second name from the one she is known by. I also know one other person who is self employed and doesn't pay a penny in tax. Don't know how he gets away with it.

That form I linked to would be perfect to report those things. And it is anonymous.

No harm in making a report anyway, unless you know that there is a major amount of time being wasted.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that point.

I had a neighbour, a genuine woman who lived alone with her child, who was reported for "suspected" fraud.

Her payment was suspended for 8 weeks while they investigated her and she had to depend on her parents for money for food during that time.

To me that is the opposite of "no harm".

Like I've said, if you are 100% absolutely positive sure of your facts, then report away. But I wouldn't do it unless I was at that level of certainty.

• Advertisement

Travellers, if that is who you mean are 0.7% of the general population, but 22% of the prison population. So far from untouchable by the criminal justice system.

Does that in itself cost us hard working people nothing???

Why are we pandering to these groups...

That form I linked to would be perfect to report those things. And it is anonymous.

Ah I just wouldn't bother, I know one guy owed them 30k and all he has to do is pay back €10 a week. Plus one is family.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that point.

I had a neighbour, a genuine woman who lived alone with her child, who was reported for "suspected" fraud.

Her payment was suspended for 8 weeks while they investigated her and she had to depend on her parents for money for food during that time.

To me that is the opposite of "no harm".

Like I've said, if you are 100% absolutely positive sure of your facts, then report away. But I wouldn't do it unless I was at that level of certainty.

I don't even know if any of my neighbours are on social welfare, except presumably Child Benefit in some cases. That is very detailed knowledge of your neighbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,183 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Reporting fraud is an anonymous process. So nobody should be afraid of being attacked, unless they go round telling the wrong people that they reported someone.

https://m.welfare.ie/en/Pages/secure/ReportFraud.aspx

If you do report don't give your name.
    If you do it may come back to bother you.
    I've hear of all these places you can report things in confidence/etc.
    However the cleaning lady/etc know everything that's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

I don't believe you. Why would they "suspend" her payment while they were proving their case, that makes no sense. You could just report anyone you didn't like.

CFlat wrote: »
    Valley of the Squinting Windows.

Ha. I haven't heard that book mentioned in years. Apparently when it was discovered that the town in the book, Garradrimna, bore many striking resemblances to the author's home town of... Delvin, Co. Westmeath the denizens there organised a burning of the books! (and boycotted his father, the local schoolmaster, for good measure). Brilliant.

Brinsley MacNamara, The Valley of the Squinting Windows (1918)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

No.

Hate all this heresay.

Ive seen people on crazy big salaries that still have medical cards. Its all about the individual circumstances, some have extraordinary outgoings also.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭GSBellew

Are you a revenue trained social welfare inspector?

Didn't think so.

I am 100% confident that the cost of social welfare fraud far outstrips the cost of investigating unfounded / spurious / malicious accusations of fraud.

If the reported party is legitimately working a few declared days a few key clicks will revel this.

If they have a legitimate need for a medical card, likewise.

If they warrant further investigation they are likely not above board.

I don't even know if any of my neighbours are on social welfare, except presumably Child Benefit in some cases. That is very detailed knowledge of your neighbour.

She was also my friend.

• Advertisement

I don't believe you. Why would they "suspend" her payment while they were proving their case, that makes no sense. You could just report anyone you didn't like.

I really don't care what you believe.

And you're incredibly niave if you think malicious reporting doesn't happen.

Advertisement