Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Campaign to keep ibrahim halawa...

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

neonsofa wrote: »
    I have to admit, I haven't read the whole story, only heard the carry on about his trial being postponed. Regardless of what happened he deserves a trial. Could someone give a brief outline of what exactly happened? I know I can Google it but it'd be handier to just get a brief summary from someone who knows the whole story and can simplify it :o thanks.

There was civil unrest and basically a coup d'état in Egypt back in 2013 were leader Mohammed Morsi was ousted. Halawa was there on holiday (that's his story anyway) and was caught up in it, one way or the other. That's the crux of it. He was there protesting. He's been in jail ever since and has had his trial postponed something like 20 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Omackeral wrote: »
    There was civil unrest and basically a coup d'état in Egypt back in 2013 were leader Mohammed Morsi was ousted. Halawa was there on holiday (that's his story anyway) and was caught up in it, one way or the other. That's the crux of it. He was there protesting. He's been in jail ever since and has had his trial postponed something like 20 times.

Thank you.
    See this is the jist of what I heard but I thought I was missing something, it seemed a bit off, but then again I've never been to Egypt and don't understand the political context all that much.

It's irrelevant, if you do the crime you should do the time regardless of nationality.

And what if he has to do the time without a trial?

Ibrahim Halawa's trial has been delayed for the 21st time in Cairo as the judge in the case agreed to consider his release on medical grounds.
    This news is from today so he might be seeing a reprieve?

http://www.thejournal.ie/ibrahim-halawa-doctor-3325591-Apr2017/?utm_source=shortlink

neonsofa wrote: »
    Thank you.
    See this is the jist of what I heard but I thought I was missing something, it seemed a bit off, but then again I've never been to Egypt and don't understand the political context all that much.

I guess it is a bit off though because his dad is a very influential part of the Muslim Brotherhood and they are very bold boys.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

The Do-Gooders Care More About Egypt Than what is Happening in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭PraxisPete

You've not been on Stormfront much then, have you.....

The stuff discussed here, is nothing compared to the bile spewed forth under that bridge.

If 4/5ths of the users here thiink an Irish teenager should be in jail for attending a protest really believe that, it's worse than the ****e on Stormfront. It's idiocy only rivalled by Halawa for attending the protest in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭degsie

Stupid thread. Many people, including his family here, are fearful for his well-being. Show a bit of humanity ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Omackeral wrote: »
    I guess it is a bit off though because his dad is a very influential part of the Muslim Brotherhood and they are very bold boys.

Ah ok. It's all very alien to me generally. I really should read up more on these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

I've heard that prison conditions are so harsh in Egypt compared to here that the prisoners have to make do with a PlayStation3 and a standard def TV.
    If this is true and they are violating his human rights like this he should be freed immediately.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Please refrain from posting politics in AH. Thanks.

AFAIK, there's already a thread about this fella in Politics Cafe.

Edit: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057591658

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement