Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Campaign to keep ibrahim halawa...

• 05-04-2017 6:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭

.....in jail.

What to do? 69 votes

Keep in in
    0% 0 votes
    Let him out
    78% 54 votes
    Commodore Amiga
    17% 12 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    4% 3 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Agreed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

How about just give him his trial?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Life for Ibrahim Halawa must be a living hell.
    Is this thread supposed to be amusing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭b_mac2

2011 wrote: »
    Life for Ibrahim Halawa must be a living hell.
    Is this thread supposed to be amusing?

Do you pity all terrorists or?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

What's an Ibrahim Halal and why the clickbait title

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

.....in jail.
    Was he Born Irish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Was he Born Irish?

It's irrelevant, if you do the crime you should do the time regardless of nationality.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,146 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'm here!

Do People in Egypt give a give Damm about People of Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Was he Born Irish?

Yes he's an Irish citizen

• Registered Users Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Ahh. Whataboutery.

They might give a fcuk if an egyptian was locked up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

The lesson of this story is not to protest in a country where there is very little respect for human life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

You know, there are a lot of problems in Ireland that could detonate in a very nasty way in the next while:

Artificlally low interest rates and cheap credit.

Over leveraged Irish banks, highly vulnerable to French and German volatility.

A bunch of incompetent gobshìtes in government.

A generation of mental health issues from desperately unhappy people which will manifest themselves more in the next ten years.

A housing crisis with 100,000 homes in mortgage arrears.

Net emigration from Irish people as of April 2016, with the birth rate of native Irish below replacement levels.

A massively cumbersome public sector whose pension contributions are going to be a stupidly high expense in the next while.

Sometimes I wonder though. Do we actually deserve to not be thrown into this position? Do we actually deserve what's coming?

And the answer is, well, if you let a lad like Ibrahim Halawa back into your country after what he has done...

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

And the answer is, well, if you let a lad like Ibrahim Halawa back into your country after what he has done...

What exactly has he done?

Not your ornery onager

Grayson wrote: »
    Ahh. Whataboutery.

They might give a fcuk if an egyptian was locked up here.
    I would say We have a few Egyptians in Prisons here in Ireland.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

How any Irish person could be against giving anyone a timely and fair trial is beyond me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

After Hours is becoming more like Stormfront by the day. There are some awful, awful people posting here.

30 PEOPLE Have voted so Far and 24 of the 30 said keep him in prison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

RayM wrote: »
    After Hours is becoming more like Stormfront by the day. There are some awful, awful people posting here.

You've not been on Stormfront much then, have you.....

The stuff discussed here, is nothing compared to the bile spewed forth under that bridge.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I honestly don't give a sh*t. Did he live here for a while and was given an Irish passport? Am I supposed to care because of that? How many people are locked up in sh*tholes all over the world? I've enough to be getting on with.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

It's irrelevant, if you do the crime you should do the time regardless of nationality.

That's all well and good but he doesn't even know what the time is,they won't give him a trial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Did he live here for a while and was given an Irish passport?

He was born here, grew up here. When he went to Egypt, he had to pay for a visa to enter the country. He's Irish.

I honestly don't give a sh*t. Did he live here for a while and was given an Irish passport? Am I supposed to care because of that? How many people are locked up in sh*tholes all over the world? I've enough to be getting on with.
    How Many Irish are in Jail Worldwide? What comes to mind when you think of Hell Is The Movie Midnight Express.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

The government is supposed to care and I'm ok with that.

there's a fcuk load of people on boards who make a huge issue out of the government caring. There have been huge threads about it and it pretty much all revolves around whether he should be considered Irish. Apparently it's very exclusive and they think they should have a say on who's Irish and who isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Halawa's imprisonment is the Egyptian Government sending out a warning.

It's essentially saying, if you are a do gooder (or protester) and you come over to Egypt and start interfering in our affairs or protesting or backing "the wrong side", this is what is going to happen to you.

Is it fair? No. But that is what they are doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

If they were kids that fell in playgrounds then the Egyptians concern for our Irish children is Paramount to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Grayson wrote: »

there's a fcuk load of people on boards who make a huge issue out of the government caring. There have been huge threads about it and it pretty much all revolves around whether he should be considered Irish. Apparently it's very exclusive and they think they should have a say on who's Irish and who isn't.

The lad is Irish. He's obviously of Egyptian extraction but he's Irish. Lived here his whole life, has an Irish passport and, as someone else pointed out, needed a visa to go to Egypt. However, that doesn't give you carte blanche to do whatever you want abroad as we all know all too well. Having said that, the chap and everyone else who was charged deserve a trial and not some mass trial either. It's ridiculous. How long's it been? Again though, familiarise yourself with foreign countries before going to rock the boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Omackeral wrote: »
    The lad is Irish. He's obviously of Egyptian extraction but he's Irish. Lived here his whole life, has an Irish passport and, as someone else pointed out, needed a visa to go to Egypt. However, that doesn't give you carte blanche to do whatever you want abroad as we all know all too well. Having said that, the chap and everyone else who was charged deserve a trial and not some mass trial either. It's ridiculous. How long's it been? Again though, familiarise yourself with foreign countries before going to rock the boat.

I have to admit, I haven't read the whole story, only heard the carry on about his trial being postponed. Regardless of what happened he deserves a trial. Could someone give a brief outline of what exactly happened? I know I can Google it but it'd be handier to just get a brief summary from someone who knows the whole story and can simplify it :o thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement