Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stuff you miss about Ireland when abroad

• 01-03-2015 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Proper milk, proper tea, proper sausages - try as I might, I just can't seem to get these things easily while on the continent.

What about ye? What stuff do you think we do better than other countries?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

The cronyism and lack of time keeping.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

Supermacs cheese and garlic chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Easy girls.

Irish girls need no charming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Mammies and Miwadi.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 969 ✭✭✭JacquesDeLad

Wishing I was somewhere it didn't rain so much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

lack of time keeping.

i'm lazy and late
    so i moved to the west and now i'm normal

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

Hate how you have to respect the law when abroad or you might end up in prison

like really actually in a real prison

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,053 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Tea,
    RTE,
    Guinness,
    Tayto,
    The feel of Irish towns. English ones just aren't the same.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    Proper milk, proper tea, proper sausages
    By "proper" do you mean certain brands? I find tea and milk in England just as good as Irish. And sausages in Germany better than Irish.
    Your miles may vary

That said, I do miss the way we do fry-ups when I'm away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Sometimes the rain,and green fields,the friendliness of most people.

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    By "proper" do you mean certain brands? I find tea and milk in England just as good as Irish. And sausages in Germany better than Irish.
    Your miles may vary

mileage

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ymmv

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Grumpy and unhelpful staff in Bus Éireann and Irish Rail.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Club 'odinge' :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Pubs.

And I don't mean an 'Irish themed' pub, I mean my proper, local pub.

I could (don't live at home now) stroll into my own local with no cash on me, order a pint of beer and get the pint with change from a twenty. (which would be repaid later on in the week)

In my local it is not unknown for the barman (owner) to have to go somewhere for an hour or two, and leave the bar unattended with a plastic dish with change, we served ourself from the bar and threw in the cash, change was there if required.

I just don't get that level of attention in any other bar, in any other place I've lived.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Irish people mostly,
    We have a sense of humor that not everybody gets.
    Stick with it though make friends and be yourself,cool.png

Pubs.

And I don't mean an 'Irish themed' pub, I mean my proper, local pub.

I could (don't live at home now) stroll into my own local with no cash on me, order a pint of beer and get the pint with change from a twenty. (which would be repaid later on in the week)

In my local it is not unknown for the barman (owner) to have to go somewhere for an hour or two, and leave the bar unattended with a plastic dish with change, we served ourself from the bar and threw in the cash, change was there if required.

I just don't get that level of attention in any other bar, in any other place I've lived.

honor and trust
    something that's lost to a lot of people

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

The laid back, easygoing attitude...that's about it really, nothing else special about the place

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Chipper chips.
    Chicken balls from the Chinese.
    Lucozade.
    Cadbury's chocolate.
    Milk.
    Superquinn sausages.
    Proper baked beans.
    My mam's Sunday roast.

Aside from food and drinks, I miss the Irish attitude. Living in the US, I get sick of all the chirpy, "How is your day going?", "Have a great day!". I miss a casual Howaya that doesn't require a response or being able to say I'm grand and that being enough.

I miss sarcasm. Americans think they get it but they don't really. I've tried to make my husband (who is American) understand "I will yeah!" and he tries to say it sometimes but when he says it, it sounds like he means it and not at all like he's saying no.

I'd like to be able to refer to someone as yer man or yer one and not have to go into great detail about who I mean. Irish people just get it.

I miss everything about Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭PNA

It has to be the black stuff

Usually tea and milk. Though I was in Dubai last week and the tea was so much better than here. I've actually ordered some of it online it was so nice.

My doggy.

Good Guinness.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I live in Carlow, you pass someone on the streets here you'd say hi, you can't walk down Tullow Street without bumping into a relative or something ye know.

I was in Berlin recently and someone actually walked right into me and then continued walking, not a sorry or an excuse me to be heard.

.....So manners.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,220 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Manners
    Our sense of humour
    Lucozade
    Club orange and the beautiful Irish countryside :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

decent mobile phone data

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Sally O' Brien and the way she might look at you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

The twinkle in a pig's eye.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭CJ Haughey

mass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭ Callen Delightful Neanderthal

Irish pubs is a big one. Just the feel of them, the smell of the old wood and furniture mixed with a smell of spirits. You do not get that anywhere else. I also love the "sure its all grand" attitude of the people. Then the funny contradictions like everyone giving out about the government and the recession but you will find it tough to get seats in caffes and restaurants at lunchtime.

Ireland is awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Superquinn sausages, chippers, curry sauce, club orange, Birdseye waffles. Most other things I can get here for an extortionate price like Heinz beans and Lyons tea which suddenly doesn't seem so nice that it's worth $7 for a small box!

And pubs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I think there,s a lot of things avaidable in irish shops,
    tayto, red lemonade ,irish biscuits .
    that are not avaidable in other countrys.
    Irish pubs are friendly ,its easy to meet people ,or talk to strangers .
    if you want to.
    if some one likes you ,you,ll know it.

other countrys may have pubs ,but its not the same .
    no other country has pubs like a real irish pub.
    For such a small country we produce alot of good quality radio programs .
    And some good tv programs .

• Advertisement

When I lived in the UK, I really missed the Irish driving.
    In the UK, most drive on the left lane and you get hounded out of it for hogging the middle or outer lane.
    In the UK, you have to stop when the light turns red, you don't have that extra 5 seconds after the light turns red.
    In the UK, you are not allowed to drive your tractor on the motorway. Learner drivers get taken off the motorways by Police!
    I could go on but glad to be back in Ireland with its much more flexible approach to driving and the lack of enforcement.

Advertisement