Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Landlord asking for photo ID before viewing?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

Yep. i think both sides need to.be sure who they are meeting.

Grand. Should a taxi drivers ask for IDs before she drives off with the person in the car? Seems a strange standard to apply for house viewings alone. I am sure there are more situations analogous.

Haven't thought much about the GDPR and just showing people the IDs, but certainly taking copies would be illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,249 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Are you in favor of landlords giving their ID to member of the public who show up to viewing, for their safety too?

I’d have no issue showing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

ted1 wrote: »
    I’d have no issue showing it.

Me neither, happy to show driving licence/passport to any tenant who requests it.

I don’t see how there could be any GDPR issue for just requesting and looking at an ID once it’s not copied.

I don’t see how there could be any GDPR issue for just requesting and looking at an ID once it’s not copied.

It would certainly be in scope. The question would be what is the lawful basis, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

It would certainly be in scope. The question would be what is the lawful basis, etc.

Confirming the identity of the applicant.

Dav010 wrote: »
    Confirming the identity of the applicant.

That is not one of the lawful bases listed in Article 6. The only one it might be is legitimate interest and the DPC has already told us that, that won't work for this purpose.

How? You aren’t handling any information you are simply viewing it.

Honestly this is starting to sound like “freemen of the land” nonsense. Show the ID, who cares? We have to show ID for damn near everything nowadays why is it an issue to do it for this?

How are you supposed to verify a persons identity if you can’t ask for ID?

How? You aren’t handling any information you are simply viewing it.

Honestly this is starting to sound like “freemen of the land” nonsense. Show the ID, who cares? We have to show ID for damn near everything nowadays why is it an issue to do it for this?

How are you supposed to verify a persons identity if you can’t ask for ID?

‘processing’ means any operation or set of operations which is performed on personal data or on sets of personal data, whether or not by automated means, such as collection, recording, organisation, structuring, storage, adaptation or alteration, retrieval, consultation, use, disclosure by transmission, dissemination or otherwise making available, alignment or combination, restriction, erasure or destruction;

There is no issue with checking people's IDs provided you have a lawful basis for doing so. The reason why we would want to have personal data laws apply to things like checking IDs is because of the potential for misuse by rogue data controllers.

If you have a lawful basis and follow the other GDPR requirements then you can of course look at IDs. I did not say that this was prohibited in the case of landlords and viewings, I wondered what the DPC would have to say. What they lawful basis would be and does it follow the principles of data processing.

I did say that collecting it is prohibited.

Advertisement