Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sh!t that makes you feel old.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    When the greys start to appear downstairs :eek:

Hasn't happened yet but I've a fair few on top so I presume the inevitable isn't too far away :(

reminds of that Billy Connolly quip about growing old...

"my willy's beginning to look like an old age pensioner with a grey beard" :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

When you make a movie reference that you and your mates would all get, but in the office the young folk just stare at you blankly like you're going senile.

When the newbies in work are talking about their parents upcoming significant birthday celebrations and I'm older than their parents, how did that happen ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

When my 11 year old found and old camera that that I used to take pictures with in college. When I told him it took film he reacted like we'd found the first tools used by humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

RIP Brendan Grace, great entertainer. No one has any idea in our office who Bottler was or what Free a Nipper is :(.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    RIP Brendan Grace, great entertainer. No one has any idea in our office who Bottler was or what Free a Nipper is :(.

Maybe they only know Father Stack

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

branie2 wrote: »
    Maybe they only know Father Stack

What about the safe cross code?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,102 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    What about the safe cross code?

If they dont know Bottler they wont be old enough to remember that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

If they dont know Bottler they wont be old enough to remember that.

meh, I'm familiar with that safe cross code despite being slightly below the age it was for.

Sometimes it can be kind of annoying if young people know all about old stuff. Like if you're all "I suppose you lads never heard of MacGyver..." and they're "oh great show, I have it on dvd, which season is your favourite?".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

There's a college girl doing work experience in our work. She's 18 and in between her first and second year, she has a good head on her shoulders and asked around for experience for free, my manager kindly let her come in for a few months.

We were all talking at the table at lunch and the conversation took a few turns, one of them to Punts and the other to 9/11 and one of them the turn of the Millenium. She raised her eyebrows a during the conversation like we were talking Chinese.

I never copped that she was born in 2001 !!!
    When I think of an 18-year-old I am still thinking of someone born in the early 90's (I was born in 1991).

Fucking shit I feel old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

My job.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Listening to joe Duffy and Marian Finunician on radio 1 and actually being interested

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Listening to joe Duffy and Marian Finunician on radio 1 and actually being interested

this hasnt happened yet so im already feeling younger!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Crock Rock wrote: »
    There's a college girl doing work experience in our work. She's 18 and in between her first and second year, she has a good head on her shoulders and asked around for experience for free, my manager kindly let her come in for a few months.

We were all talking at the table at lunch and the conversation took a few turns, one of them to Punts and the other to 9/11 and one of them the turn of the Millenium. She raised her eyebrows a during the conversation like we were talking Chinese.

I never copped that she was born in 2001 !!!
    When I think of an 18-year-old I am still thinking of someone born in the early 90's (I was born in 1991).

Fucking shit I feel old.

I get ya there, was watching the Tour de France earlier and they mentioned one of the riders was born in 1996 then i feel old when i realise i did my leaving cert in 1996

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

My 17 year old niece didn't know who Brendan Grace was!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Reading what has others here feeling old, leaves me feeling ancient. Luckily, I don't think about it too often.

WW2 was still going strong when I was born.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Cushtie

When you have the car radio on Rte Radio 1 most of the time. And you will give 2fm the odd whirl but definately not Spin fm. The jingles make my head hurt!

I remember driving with my Dad when I was young and he would have Radio 1 on. I swore that would never be me.... Guess what??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

J Mysterio wrote: »
    When you go to the doctor with an ailment and they tell you its 'wear and tear'.

Basically, 'this is your life now, you are partly broken'.

Ha Ha ! :D

I've had the no time wasting version of that :

"Its common in old people" :mad:

Cushtie wrote: »
    When you have the car radio on Rte Radio 1 most of the time. And you will give 2fm the odd whirl but definately not Spin fm. The jingles make my head hurt!

I remember driving with my Dad when I was young and he would have Radio 1 on. I swore that would never be me.... Guess what??

I'm a LyricFM man now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

<---Newstalk cause music radio is just the same 20 or so songs on a loop with idiots talking between the songs.

• Advertisement

J Mysterio wrote: »
    When you go to the doctor with an ailment and they tell you its 'wear and tear'.

Basically, 'this is your life now, you are partly broken'.

a consultant told me a new (to me) variant of this the other day. She said "this is your new baseline". basically "this is good as you can hope it to be from now on. Forget the how good things were before, this is the new ****ty you"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭griffin100

The fact I now consider corduroy an acceptable fabric to wear. When the fcuk did that happen?

When I found the skinny leather black tie and bright blue jacket in a wardrobe at my parents house frm my Miami vice crocket/tubbs days
    I can see a lot asking wtf is crocket/ tubbs��

When I bought the sports car in my forty’s ,alas the car is getting old and I’m on the change out of 50 - lol
    Did I do all the rest- dam right I did - lol

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

When you cough and you wee yourself

dubstarr wrote: »
    When you cough and you wee yourself

Get on the cough bottle :D

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭cobweb

When talking music with my workmates and discussing gigs they were going to and gigs id love to go to they looked at me smiled in a sympathetic manner tilted their head and remarked, Oh you know who Picture This is.

The awwwwwwww at the beginning of the sentence was silent. I suddenly realised I could be the parent of the 25 year old I was talking to. Im 46 and had been listening to the cd in the car on the way to work that morning

Cobweb your mention of cd player in the car even seems old.

In saying that ive only a cassette player.

I gave a lift to a work colleague who wanted to plug in their usb!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭bubbles o hara

I bought new shoes today, and I didn't care about the style...I chose them because they were comfortable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭cobweb

Cobweb your mention of cd player in the car even seems old.

QUOTE]

Had kids in car today and had to explain what a cd was before bluetoothing spotify from my phone to car. 2 of them ha and never seen a cd.

love my cds and my vinyl and spotify,

Advertisement