Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-07-2019, 16:36   #1
Febreeze

What is Rent to Buy? How does it work?

I've heard of this but I've no idea what exactly it is or how it works.
Advertisement
10-07-2019, 18:17   #2
Caranica

That's because it hasn't really ever worked here, though the councils are starting to look at these schemes. You pay rent for x years, at that point you can buy the property and your rent payments are deducted from the value of the property so you pay market value minus rent paid to date.
Thanks from:
10-07-2019, 19:24   #3
Febreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caranica View Post
That's because it hasn't really ever worked here, though the councils are starting to look at these schemes. You pay rent for x years, at that point you can buy the property and your rent payments are deducted from the value of the property so you pay market value minus rent paid to date.
Does that work if you're currently renting a house for a certain amount of time?
10-07-2019, 19:37   #4
Caranica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Febreeze View Post
Does that work if you're currently renting a house for a certain amount of time?
I'm not aware of any schemes currently active. I know Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council have a few schemes in the pipeline but you have to be on the housing list.
10-07-2019, 19:40   #5
Graham

Last time I came across rent to buy was during the global financial crash, some developers tried it out as a means of off-loading new builds.

That stopped abruptly when banks refused to include the rent paid/credited as part of the deposit effectively meaning purchasers still needed a substantial deposit even if they'd paid significant amounts of rent.
Advertisement
10-07-2019, 19:42   #6
Eric Cartman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Last time I came across rent to buy was during the global financial crash, some developers tried it out as a means of off-loading new builds.

That stopped abruptly when banks refused to include the rent paid/credited as part of the deposit effectively meaning purchasers still needed a substantial deposit even if they'd paid significant amounts of rent.
its actually an excellent idea and would be a great financial vehicle if we used it correctly, save your deposit while living there and prove your capacity to pay, but ofcourse our banks and regulations would have to make an absolute balls of it.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion