Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Naas/Newbridge Bypass Upgrade [Junction 9a now open]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Pablod wrote: »
    I know it was expected and will be this way until fully open but:
    M7 southbound (west) 3 lanes are jammers from just after j9
    One of problems is the lead up to J10, inside lane is for exiting at J10 so lot of traffic trying to get back into middle lane.
    (Suppose similar to old J9 just pushed further down the road so to speak..)

Is it not 3 lanes then and is actually two and a slip road, or is that a temporary thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pablod

Is it not 3 lanes then and is actually two and a slip road, or is that a temporary thing?

I'd say it is only temporary
    It is 3 lanes but then they have signs about 2km out from J10 saying left lane only to exit J10.
    Of course lot of last minute idiots not seeing (or just ignoring) the sign and cutting in at last minute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I'd say it is only temporary
    It is 3 lanes but then they have signs about 2km out from J10 saying left lane only to exit J10.
    Of course lot of last minute idiots not seeing (or just ignoring) the sign and cutting in at last minute

It's always ignoring. I've visions of the Douglas exit of the N40 in my head now and it'll be madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Travelled it today.

Grand on the way up - a welcome increase to 80 but still eejits doing 60 for some reason! Guess inattentiveness is just as big a problem as ignoring the signs.

On the way back it was pretty clear until the merge from exit 10 which had traffic at a crawl until passed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Travelled it today.

Grand on the way up - a welcome increase to 80 but still eejits doing 60 for some reason! Guess inattentiveness is just as big a problem as ignoring the signs.

On the way back it was pretty clear until the merge from exit 10 which had traffic at a crawl until passed it.

Hopefully they'll prioritize the J10 to J11 as the next section to open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Some progress pics from J9a taken yesterday attached.

483536.jpg
    483535.jpg
    483537.jpg

3 car accident and a 30 minute tailback between Newbridge and the start of the roadworks inbound just before 9 this morning.

One thing about the roadworks has been that it's calmed the muppetry at that particular merge a bit. Prior to this accidents were a regular occurrence as cars try to jump across to the outside lane from the merge at speed, and others tailgate to prevent it.

It seems normal service will soon be resumed in that regard :(

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭mosesgun

Was delighted to see the 3 southbound lanes open yesterday evening. Throughout the roadworks it has taken me anywhere between 45 minutes to 1 hour to get from Junction 2 kingswood to Junction 11 - Carlow turn off. (mostly 1 hour). I was very disheartened to see the traffic back up on the road towards J10 last night. Is this a temporary issue or are we back to square one? Took me 50 minutes to J11 last night! Was hoping this would make a huge difference to the daily commute but am getting worried now. I know it's down to 2 lanes and J10 and beyond still so I'm sure this is affecting the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KBurke85

mosesgun wrote: »
    Was delighted to see the 3 southbound lanes open yesterday evening. Throughout the roadworks it has taken me anywhere between 45 minutes to 1 hour to get from Junction 2 kingswood to Junction 11 - Carlow turn off. (mostly 1 hour). I was very disheartened to see the traffic back up on the road towards J10 last night. Is this a temporary issue or are we back to square one? Took me 50 minutes to J11 last night! Was hoping this would make a huge difference to the daily commute but am getting worried now. I know it's down to 2 lanes and J10 and beyond still so I'm sure this is affecting the traffic.

Traffic was always going to back up at some point as the road still has to go from 3 lanes to 2. We won't see the full effect untill its 3 lanes all the way to J11

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

mosesgun wrote: »

Don’t lose hope!

The 3 lanes are great but J10 is now the new bottleneck which makes sense but it is absolutely temporary. As soon as they open J10-J11 you’ll glide down to the M9…as will I.

For right now, I’m noticing a big improvement in my journey up. Every day since 3 lanes opened from J10 – J8 I don’t think I’ve come to a stop in my commute.

Already I can see great progress on the remaining sections, I’d say by this time next month all lanes will be open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

When will it go back to 120 kph? Next month? Great to hear part of it is already up to 80 anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Stan27

Hi.
    Just back in the country after being away for 2 years and trying to figure out travel times.
    I have to be in Phoenix park at 9 tomorrow morning.
    Leaving kilcullen area.
    How long should I give ?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 16,626 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Is the road fully complete now? 3 lanes both ways with 100/120kph limits?

BPKS wrote: »
    Is the road fully complete now? 3 lanes both ways with 100/120kph limits?

No.. It's now 3 lanes between exit 8/9 and 10 (both directions) but restricted to 80 km/h. It's still 60 between exit 10 and the Carlow exit/merge.

Most cars seem to be doing anywhere up to 100 on the new stretch though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭benny79

Anyone know why there is such a big gap between the 2 walled barriers in the centre between junction 11 & 10. Its nearly 2 lanes wide. Bit strange as its tarmacked so its not as if they are going to be planting trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pablod

benny79 wrote: »
    Anyone know why there is such a big gap between the 2 walled barriers in the centre between junction 11 & 10. Its nearly 2 lanes wide. Bit strange as its tarmacked so its not as if they are going to be planting trees.

Its for this time next year when they realise that the extra 1 lane wasn't enough :pac:
    Wouldn't put it past them....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭benny79

Its for this time next year when they realise that the extra 1 lane wasn't enough :pac:
    Wouldn't put it past them....

Ha.. It narrows as you approach the bridges.. Probably a drive tru Costa coffee :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Stan27 wrote: »
    Hi.
    Just back in the country after being away for 2 years and trying to figure out travel times.
    I have to be in Phoenix park at 9 tomorrow morning.
    Leaving kilcullen area.
    How long should I give ?
    Thanks

I'd give it 2 hours to be on the safe side.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Dero123

benny79 wrote: »

Someone told me it’s related to drainage works, doubt it myself but you never know

• Registered Users Posts: 17,579 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Dero123 wrote: »
    Someone told me it’s related to drainage works, doubt it myself but you never know

Yeah it seems like a complete waste of space.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Saw that also, could it be for a bridge in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

When will it go back to 120 kph? Next month? Great to hear part of it is already up to 80 anyway!

We're allowed discuss speed limits again? Cool!

My honest feeling is that It will revert to 100km as they'll use the excuse used with M50 that the lanes are smaller and are not suitable for 120km... I'd bet my house on it that's how it's going to end up

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

We're allowed discuss speed limits again? Cool!

My honest feeling is that It will revert to 100km as they'll use the excuse used with M50 that the lanes are smaller and are not suitable for 120km... I'd bet my house on it that's how it's going to end up

You'll be homeless if you do that.......

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭soundman45

100kph and be moving better than sitting in the s×+t we put up with for last few years.

• soundman45 wrote: »
    100kph and be moving better than sitting in the s×+t we put up with for last few years.

Do ye honestly think they are going to go from a 2 lane 120km motorway to a 3 lane 100km motorway? That kind of "progress" would be very hard to justify.

Are the current lane sizes permanent or will they be wider when fully open?

I think that's it from the size perspective. It's easily capable of 120 - most cars already are doing close to 100 on the new stretch.

Plus I think it''s been confirmed that it'll be 120 when fully completed anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Tomrota

soundman45 wrote: »

Half the cars on the N7 do well over 100km/h. Sometimes I’m tailgated for doing around 102km/h on the N7 by a white van, until it overtakes at about 130km/h. I’ve never seen the majority of cars on the N7 go below 100. So I don’t know what the hell difference putting up 100 or 120km/h signposts would do. People will do 120 regardless.

• Tomrota wrote: »
    So I don’t know what the hell difference putting up 100 or 120km/h signposts would do. People will do 120 regardless.

You know the reason, the vast majority of people that speed at least do it relevant to the baseline. Hence they'll go 80 in a 70 or 130 in a 120. Most speeders wont (some will) wont do 130 in a 100.

Most cars do 120 or there abouts on a motorway say 70%, another 20% or so will go around 130 and a final 10% will do > than 130.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

Does anyone have any serious suggestions for why the end section near J11 is so wide inside the barriers anyway? Seems a bizarre waste of space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Does anyone have any serious suggestions for why the end section near J11 is so wide inside the barriers anyway? Seems a bizarre waste of space.

Future widening? :-D

Advertisement