Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭soap1978

is it Hayes coal

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

Could anyone who had a delivery, confirm if it was off loaded with a fork lift or pallet truck.
    Reason I ask is ithat a lorry would not get down my driveway and as it is a gravel driveway, then a pallet truck would be no use for bringing pallet of coal to where I would want it. I
    f I did order this then it would need to be off loaded with one of them mini-fork-lifts that are usually on the back of the lorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Berberis wrote: »
    Could anyone who had a delivery, confirm if it was off loaded with a fork lift or pallet truck.
    Reason I ask is ithat a lorry would not get down my driveway and as it is a gravel driveway, then a pallet truck would be no use for bringing pallet of coal to where I would want it. I
    f I did order this then it would need to be off loaded with one of them mini-fork-lifts that are usually on the back of the lorry.
    Forklifts only work on smooth ground, I learned the hard that are surprisingly impossible to move on anything slightly rough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭vickers209

sword1 wrote: »
    Forklifts only work on smooth ground, I learned the hard that are surprisingly impossible to move on anything slightly rough

True but a moffit type truck thats on the back of lorries can handle rough ground better

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭gripcasey

Ordered on Wednesday got delivered yesterday. 20 Bags Black Diamond Polish Blend €10, 5 bags of Smokeless Ovoids
    Total price €306.81. Very happy with quality. It was a Truck with Tail lift then Hand pallet lifter. I have a Hand trolley I got in Lidl as only have small side Entrance, half hour all done. All set for winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,511 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Which coal would be best for a stove ?

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭gripcasey

yabadabado wrote: »
    Which coal would be best for a stove ?

I mix the Black Diamond Polish and Ovoids for my Stove. Great heat not to much ash.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,511 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

gripcasey wrote: »
    I mix the Black Diamond Polish and Ovoids for my Stove. Great heat not to much ash.

Can't some coal damage a stove ?
    I would be using this in a stove and Stanley range.No open fire , would prefer not to be using a mix if I can .

I'm keen on this now too.

Can anyone advise on the best Smokey coal to use in a boiler stove please?

Seems like a great deal at those prices!!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭coolkidirish

Ordered a pallet of the Champion Premium Coal delivered to Cork. Ordered on Tuesday and it arrived Friday. Very happy with the quality and price. Will be back for more :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

Ordered a pallet of the Champion Premium Coal delivered to Cork. Ordered on Tuesday and it arrived Friday. Very happy with the quality and price. Will be back for more :)

Is the champion coal the yellow bagged polish coal?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Lanshane

thierry14 wrote: »
    Is the champion coal the yellow bagged polish coal?

Yep. I ordered a tonne to Galway on Thursday. Delivered friday afternoon, had a good chat with sean from O'Neill's. Ended up getting 9 bags of amber, 9 of slack and 7 champion. Have to say combining all three yields great results. Quality coal. Paid €217 delivered. Got two bags of champion free. Only potential problem is that the pallet was delivered from the tail lift of the truck to me shed with a hand pallet truck. OK for me as ground to shed is smooth, otherwise you may end up carting 25 bags in yourself!!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Inspector Dhar

Lanshane wrote: »
    Yep. I ordered a tonne to Galway on Thursday. Delivered friday afternoon, had a good chat with sean from O'Neill's. Ended up getting 9 bags of amber, 9 of slack and 7 champion. Have to say combining all three yields great results. Quality coal. Paid €217 delivered. Got two bags of champion free. Only potential problem is that the pallet was delivered from the tail lift of the truck to me shed with a hand pallet truck. OK for me as ground to shed is smooth, otherwise you may end up carting 25 bags in yourself!!
    I WAS that soldier! The delivery guy phoned me from my house and told me he couldn't get his truck down the side of the house to the shed. So he left the pallet on the gravel in front of my house. I arrived home from work - it was bitterly cold, pitch dark, I was on my own, and I hawked 25 bags of coal round the back of the house. A ton of it. Jerciful Maysus, it was hard work.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

In my area they only sell Smokeless Coal and the largest bag would be 20KG. Depending on where you buy it it would be €15-€25 for the 20KG bag. I know Topaz even sell 12.5KG bags of Smokeless for €10.85, whereas The Coal Warehouse have 40KG bags of Smokeless for €12 (another €2.60 approx for delivery per bag).

Even if you check out the Co-op webpage you see their prices...

They charge €370.00 for 20 X 40Kg Bord Na Mona Premium Polish Coal which works out at €18.50 per bag, whereas the Coal Warehouse's version is €8 per bag (€2.60 then for delivery)

Also living in Cork and picked up 2 40kg bags of smokeless last week for 16 each, where the jesus would you be paying 50 euro for 40kg?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

where the jesus would you be paying 50 euro for 40kg?!

The rochestown rooooad don't you know :D

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Lanshane

I WAS that soldier! The delivery guy phoned me from my house and told me he couldn't get his truck down the side of the house to the shed. So he left the pallet on the gravel in front of my house. I arrived home from work - it was bitterly cold, pitch dark, I was on my own, and I hawked 25 bags of coal round the back of the house. A ton of it. Jerciful Maysus, it was hard work.

And you'll do it all over again without hesitation next winter!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Does anyone know the story with the Coal Warehouse outlet in Clontibret. Can you collect from there?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Is there carbon tax in the north ? And is that why they do the "book the courier first" thing ? .. Just wondering like-

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

What would be the equivalent of staffords superior polish coal (silver bag) from this crowd?..?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Inspector Dhar

Lanshane wrote: »
    And you'll do it all over again without hesitation next winter!!
    Oh no I won't! I will certainly buy coal from these guys again, but this time, I will arrange the delivery time for when the minor Dhars are at home.

• Advertisement

vicwatson wrote: »
    What would be the equivalent of staffords superior polish coal (silver bag) from this crowd?..?

That's what I usually burn too. I asked this question when ordering yesterday and was told that most coal comes from the same source and is then graded in yards in the UK bagged and exported. The lad I was chatting with said that the Premium coal at €8 a bag was a good quality coal with great heat and the €10 bag was a blend of this coal and a "hotter" coal which needed to be mixed as it was too hot for stoves.
    I explained that Id a boiler stove running 9 rads and he reckoned that the €8 bag was plenty good for what I wanted.
    Give them a buzz if unsure as they are very helpful and not just trying to make a sale.

hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

From Facebook

*** 1ton delivery pallet***

Donegal is €72.19

Dublin is €46.13

All of Northern Ireland is €58.43

Meath
    Kildare
    Wicklow
    Offal
    Kilkenny
    Monaghan
    Louth
    Carlow
    Wexford are €58.43

West Meath
    Langford
    Cavan
    Roscommon
    Limerick
    Sligo
    Leitrim are €60.89

Cork
    Kerry
    Galway
    Mayo
    Clare
    Carlow
    Tipperary are €64.89

This is for 1pallet/1ton or less, for delivery charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

I love how Donegal is the dearest delivery option when it would be the shortest run....really rubbing it in there, as they know the coal is a good bit cheaper than across the border

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭sham58107

craughan wrote: »
    I ordered this last week, 25 bags of premium polish for e8 a bag, about 240 delivered.
    The pallet arrived next day delivery as it is a courier company who brings it.
    The coal seems to be better quality than I was previously getting manly because the pieces are bigger and hold more energy per piece.
    I spoke to the owner of O'Neills in the north who supply the coal and got a nice family history of over 100 years of being a coal wholesaler and I can say for sure there is nothing to worry about the quality because he gave me a list of his customers in the south and they are already probably bagging the coal you are paying 20 euro for. I've already given away half the pallet to my neighbors, i can see people making a few quid on this if they want to organize a neighborhood delivery for 12 euro a bag even.

What about VAT and Carbon Tax who pays that?
    NA in Northern Ireland so who is registered down here to pay?
    Lots of stuff cheaper in North if you dont pay tax

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

I love how Donegal is the dearest delivery option when it would be the shortest run....really rubbing it in there, as they know the coal is a good bit cheaper than across the border

Delivery is not by the coal company themselves. It is by a courier company called Ace who by the phone numbers are based in Dublin. Maybe they collect from NI and go to a base to deliver.

Could any of you who ordered be able to tell me can you pick a delivery day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭Big Lar

sgarvan wrote: »
    Delivery is not by the coal company themselves. It is by a courier company called Ace who by the phone numbers are based in Dublin. Maybe they collect from NI and go to a base to deliver.

Could any of you who ordered be able to tell me can you pick a delivery day?

Ordered Monday, delivery organised for tomorrow & Pallet landed today. Does that answer your question ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭sham58107

Is it in NI bags or Southern bags, I am sure Ace would not want customs asking questions and stopping vans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Big Lar wrote: »
    Ordered Monday, delivery organised for tomorrow & Pallet landed today. Does that answer your question ? :)

Cheers. Want it delivered next Monday. Was going to place order on Thursday. Will wait until Friday so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

sham58107 wrote: »
    I am sure Ace would not want customs asking questions and stopping vans.
    Is this why the customer deals with Ace? I would imagine in the event of any issue, it's the customer that has 'imported' the coal. The coal merchant has not had any involvement with delivery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭meathman0

sgarvan wrote: »
    Cheers. Want it delivered next Monday. Was going to place order on Thursday. Will wait until Friday so.

Check their Facebook page, something on it about orders ordered now may not be delivered till 5th Jan, might be worth calling them tomorrow to check.

Advertisement