Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you believe in God?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Sebastian Blue Strength

LOL, no.

No more than I believe Spiderman exists based on a fictional comic book guy.

But if it makes someone feel better to believe in a god (isn't there something like 3000 of them?) and it gives some kind of comfort to them well who am I to tell them otherwise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I've no interest in such a question.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Graces7 wrote: »
    Totally, unequivocally and with all my heart, soul and every part of my being.

So why does he allow so much suffering, especially to children? What do children gain by god allowing them to be murdered , raped, abused, have generally ****ty lives by being born in situations where they wont live long and will suffer for the time they do either by being very sick or having not enough to eat etc?

And then there's this:
    mfceiling wrote: »
    Which one?

There's hundreds of them.

The god that Catholics believe in and follow is no more valid than Muhammad or whatever the scientologists or any others believe in. They were just invented at different times.

The fact that more recent religions are written off by the older ones is laughable in itself. People will call someone that stands in front of them mad if they say they have a god and they came to them but will blindly believe the same story written in a book a couple of thousand years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,005 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

No. I had some residual, traditional belief until I dealt with a teenage death by suicide in the family, and saw the horrendous damage arising.

I believe in God. I also believe the fundamentals of all organised religions is to treat others with kindness, empathy and respect including yourself.
    I think what you're seeing there is the fundamental humanity of the people in those organised religions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I'd like to think I do. Light candles in a church for people that have passed away in my life. And I certainly identify as an Irish Catholic for ethnicity purposes.

Having said that, I'm firmly of the belief that when you die you're absolutely gone. If an afterlife does exist, it makes no sense how anyone would actually know what it's like there.

The church have been responsible for the most heinous crimes against individuals since the state got independence. And suicide bombers are mostly influenced by religion to carry out what they do.

I think I believe in God, but not in religion, while also thinking an afterlife doesn't exist.

I know exactly what you mean, I don't believe in God either but was much happier when I did, people of faith are more balanced content people but then again I'm a Conservative

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

LOL, no.

But if it makes someone feel better to believe in a god (isn't there something like 3000 of them?) and it gives some kind of comfort to them well who am I to tell them otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

LOL, no.

Why do you think people believe in God just because some people wrote about it? People have believed in God or gods long before writing even existed. The logic seems to be that writing about it somehow implies its fictionality akin to Spiderman.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

So why does he allow so much suffering, especially to children? What do children gain by god allowing them to be murdered , raped, abused, have generally ****ty lives by being born in situations where they wont live long and will suffer for the time they do either by being very sick or having not enough to eat etc?

Poster is just giving her answer, doesn’t need to get into a debate.

Mousewar wrote: »
    Why do you think people believe in God just because some people wrote about it? People have believed in God or gods long before writing even existed. The logic seems to be that writing about it somehow implies its fictionality akin to Spiderman.

And there are as many comic book superhero's as there are god's, so which is the best god to believe it?.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Pherekydes wrote: »
    The question is whether you believe. Agnosticism is a different story.

I believe in Love

Thats it in a nutshell, but being an agnostic I've come across more atheists being **** than religious people on these forums.

Atheist's don't ask you first which God you believe in ?

They just automatically have their mind's made up before the argument...sky faires, and bashing the church and the crusade's don't forget burning the witches...

if there was different Gods I'd consider the Abrahamic God a sand demon from the middle East
    It's far from being an all loving entity, he's a right bipolar prick...

I'd rather the pagan god's myself, more in touch with the earth and humanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Not at the moment.

Ah right, we're not allowed question people on posts on a message board.

Although, to be fair, that's standard enough for religion. " just believe what we tell you and don't question us"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Although, to be fair, that's standard enough for religion. " just believe what we tell you and don't question us"

You weren't questioning her. You were questioning someone elses motives through her.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Question what? Why not just respect someone’s right to believe in something that makes them happy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

And there are as many comic book superhero's as there are god's, so which is the best god to believe it?.
    Well that's an entirely different point.
    I'd venture though that just because you call someone Michael and someone else calls him Mick, it doesn't mean they're two different people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭basillarkin

which one

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

amen! Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Question what? Why not just respect someone’s right to believe in something that makes them happy?

Absolutely; and I never mentioned religion. The question asked if I believed in GOD, not religion.

I have no quarrel with anyone. My belief is in God.

As the thread asked so did I answer!

End of. Over and out from me on this.

You weren't questioning her. You were questioning someone elses motives through her.

Do someone else's motives and actions have no bearing on what you think of them or whether you believe they are good (or exist at all)?

The bible definition of god and the world around us ( going right back in time so not just a
    "Modern godless times" ) would leave anyone that isn't a blind fanatic with the opinion that god is some sort of cruel, evil syco. All the power to to have a glorious earth for people to exist in happiness but instead goes the Evil zoo owner route that allows the animals to starve , kill each other and suffer for their lives.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

I don't get this. Why can you not have a discussion about a belief in God, without this card being pulled out? Why is questioning whether God exists an automatic mark of disrespect to someone?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I believe in God. I also believe the fundamentals of all organised religions is to treat others with kindness, empathy and respect including yourself. Many people don't have God or any God in their lives in these times and society isn't better for it.

But do you need to believe in God to show kindness and respect people . I don't believe in God and yet I treat people fine. You get your values from your parents . Look at American society the most religious one in the western world . And yet, they are as far away from Christian teaching as you can go . Love thy neighbour , no let's build a big wall . Thou shall not kill , they've been constantly at war killing people since the countries been created . Do not steal , tell that to the Indians. A camel has more chance of going through an eye of a needle than a rich man has of going to heaven. And yet Americans love money , it's the most capitalist society in the world. I'm just making an example that a lot of religious people are some of the biggest hypocrites in the world .

The USA was founded on a Protestant ethos, viewing poverty as more virtuous is a Catholic thing

It's a discussion forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

LOL, no.

Now that's more like Dawkins.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

That's a valid point, but there's where the total contradiction comes from the atheists, they'll debate about something which doesn't exist.

Go into their forum in A+A you'll find them all thanking each other and ganging up rather than being civil, they're like a bunch of angry wasps swarming around ready to sting....

Look I've no problems with people slagging off versions of God and woo

But telling people they're delusional and blaming the lay members of the church on all the scandal etc

It all goes back to different times, no fckin way would the hierarchy in the church get away with their lust for power sex and greed nowadays...

It's all about timing and the fear factor...

Because if you actually look at god properly, the whole thing falls apart?

It relies on blind faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Fry is a stupid person’s idea of a clever person.

Should be easy to answer the questions so......

Do someone else's motives and actions have no bearing on what you think of them or whether you believe they are good (or exist at all)?

The bible definition of god and the world around us ( going right back in time so not just a
    "Modern godless times" ) would leave anyone that isn't a blind fanatic with the opinion that god is some sort of cruel, evil syco. All the power to to have a glorious earth for people to exist in happiness but instead goes the Evil zoo owner route that allows the animals to starve , kill each other and suffer for their lives.

The whole thing about the Christian God is that you're not meant to know what hes up to or why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

One of the biggest saps going.

Advertisement