Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bon Jovi, RDS, 15th June 2019

1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Coming from the m3 navan direction, really don’t want to go down by port tunnel and google maps is bringing me that way

Went that way myself coming from ashbourne the other night. Through the tunnel, over the east link and down to the venue, we parked at the Clayton hotel just round the corner, literally, and we left the rds at 11.05. We were back in Ashbourne bang on 12.

€9 for parking in the hotel underground and plenty of spaces available.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭argentum

Wha? Manic Street Preachers aren't a rock band? News to me!! :rolleyes:

Went on the tickets from 3 last night, I'd not seen either band before haven't been in the RDS in years 06 I believe, They move the stage from where it used to be or my mind playing tricks on me don't recall those seating stands anyway.

Manics were a solid opener,sound was brilliant for them which was pleasing. It was lost on some of the audience but there was a bunch singing away couldn't help but wonder were they also in on free tickets :D . Aside from Design, Sweet Child O Mine got the biggest reaction, someone said they butchered it first night well if they played it like last night that's a mile of the truth.

Bon Jovi were class, knew Jons voice isn't what it used to be but it perhaps better than expected and thankfully wasn't Rock HOF shape, some man to command a crowd. The whole set was perfect for me I wouldn't be an avid fan by any stretch so that Memory song didn't capture me at all I'm afraid wasn't mad on the Roller coaster song either but the visuals for that were superb.

Was suggested we head to beat the crowds towards the end of Livin' as it was the last song,shouldn't have took that advice the minute we stepped out the gate they came back to do These Days which we had to make do with listening to on the walk up the road, I know Richie not there but Phil X a great player had a chuckle seeing a guy wearing a "No Richie No Party" T-shirt coming out one of the other entrances.

Venue for view/sound was top last night and that's my main focus when it comes to things for a gig but many a gripe with surrounding issues leaving to go to vendors area/toilet particularly at the start of night stewards would request to see ticket over and over again absolutely ridiculous, Had to pop out once during Bon Jovi and they now stopped letting people in where I came out (where my party was) and had to walk all the way around. Didn't bother much with the bars on my hols so was assuming I'd be combining a few beverages with the show but they only sold rockshore on the pitch and you had to walk out for cider which was €6 for a 4 mouthfuls bottle so knocked that idea on the head after Bon Jovi started.

Transport out of there and Dublin in general was appalling I know it was a Sunday night but with at least 2 big gigs on around the city there surely has to be more adequate support for the extra thousands descending on the capital. When we got to the taxi rank off O'Connell, No word of a lie about 9 Taxis used the Taxi rank road and none stopped despite passengers only being in one of them drastically frustrating for ourselves wanting to get to the red cow,finally we flagged one on O Cornell. Green wave me fcking bollocks!!

Back there for the Foos so hoping the gig/sound goes down as well but the overall experience improves!

You could have got the luas to the red cow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

argentum wrote: »
    You could have got the luas to the red cow

Clearly the plan but alas was well closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

So went to both nights, and have to say Sunday's performance was much better, they seemed to have more energy and played about 15 mins longer (although the Saturday set list had the better songs IMO).

By a stroke of luck I met them yesterday afternoon and gotta say they were very kind and took some time for a quick chat and a few photos. Phil X is one of the nicest/coolest/rock'n'roll people I've ever met.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

So went to both nights, and have to say Sunday's performance was much better, they seemed to have more energy and played about 15 mins longer (although the Saturday set list had the better songs IMO).

By a stroke of luck I met them yesterday afternoon and gotta say they were very kind and took some time for a quick chat and a few photos. Phil X is one of the nicest/coolest/rock'n'roll people I've ever met.

Wow ! Nice...

How did you manage that ? where did you meet them ?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

greenspurs wrote: »
    Wow ! Nice...

How did you manage that ? where did you meet them ?

I was in Ballsbridge having a coffee, and had a half hour to spare so took a punt and went over to the hotel they were staying in to see if they were about. Lucky for me they arrived two mins later having been in the City Center for the afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

I was in Ballsbridge having a coffee, and had a half hour to spare so took a punt and went over to the hotel they were staying in to see if they were about. Lucky for me they arrived two mins later having been in the City Center for the afternoon.

Its OK to say you staked out the hotel, we won't judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Adrift

Lads Jon’s vocals were pathetic, anyone who says otherwise either has cement in their ears or was up from the country for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Adrift wrote: »
    Lads Jon’s vocals were pathetic, anyone who says otherwise either has cement in their ears or was up from the country for the weekend.

yeh yeh bud … :rolleyes:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I enjoyed the show anyway. Wanted Dead or Alive was a highlight for me. I was sitting in row A and had a great view of the stage (with the setting sun imagery) and the crowd while the song took off half way through while it was getting dark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭Inviere

greenspurs wrote: »
    yeh yeh bud … :rolleyes:

He’s right though, Jon can’t sing anymore, he has virtually zero range or power. I seen them live for the Crush tour, and then more recently...the difference was night and day. I say that as a long time fan of Bon Jovi.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,754 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

To some fans Jon can do no wrong and it doesn't matter how his voice sounds

He could murder a load of puppies on stage and the women would still cheer him ha

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Crybabygeeks

Same. 4th time seeing BJ and definitely the least impressive.
    I was actually shocked at how his voice has faded.
    Inviere wrote: »
    He’s right though, Jon can’t sing anymore, he has virtually zero range or power. I seen them live for the Crush tour, and then more recently...the difference was night and day. I say that as a long time fan of Bon Jovi.

Advertisement