Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help with PHP update Wordpress

Options
  • 02-07-2019 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭

We have a site hosted with wordpress and getting the below

WordPress has detected that your site is running on an insecure version of PHP.

What is PHP and how does it affect my site?
    PHP is the programming language we use to build and maintain WordPress. Newer versions of PHP are both faster and more secure, so updating will have a positive effect on your site’s performance

You cannot update because WordPress 5.2.2 requires PHP version 5.6.20 or higher. You are running version 5.3.3.

Dont want to update anything as not the designer and asked guy who is but hes not sure

Any dummies guide to how we can update the PHP and then subsequently Wordpress without loosing any content?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭curiousb

You need to check your hosting control panel and there should be an option there to update PHP. However the potential problem is that the newer version of PHP might not be compatible and it might break the site.

Make sure you back up the site first so you can roll back if necessary. If the newer version of PHP doesn't work, you can set it back to whatever it is now and all should be fine.

Newer versions of PHP should definitely improve the speed of the site, I have noticed this frequently with client sites. So for that reason and the security issues it is worth doing.

i am working on a site now where the latest PHP version breaks the site as it is an old custom theme, so I am changing the theme to a modern updateable one and then will be able to update PHP, Wordpress, plugins etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Nugget89

We have a site hosted with wordpress and getting the below

WordPress has detected that your site is running on an insecure version of PHP.

What is PHP and how does it affect my site?
    PHP is the programming language we use to build and maintain WordPress. Newer versions of PHP are both faster and more secure, so updating will have a positive effect on your site’s performance

You cannot update because WordPress 5.2.2 requires PHP version 5.6.20 or higher. You are running version 5.3.3.

Dont want to update anything as not the designer and asked guy who is but hes not sure

Any dummies guide to how we can update the PHP and then subsequently Wordpress without loosing any content?

Cheers

The first thing I'd do is check if the theme and plugins you're using are compatible with the newer versions of PHP. You should be able to find a plugin to do this if you search for 'PHP Compatibility Checker'.

Run it, and if that doesn't throw up any warnings you should be good to go. Back up everything, because you'll need to do a full restore if this goes wrong.

The update of the PHP version depends on your hosting provider. You should be able to login to your Control Panel and find an option to update it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭wonga77

This may be of use
    https://wplessons.com/updating-php-version/

Id do a full backup just before making changes just in case. If in doubt you should just ask the hosts for a bit of assistance

Advertisement