Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Need to move from VM

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Im getting same issue with ethernet, 4 different routers (All be it VM router) that suggests the issue lies with the line coming in?

The intermittent problem you are having with VM sounds like an intermittent fault on their coax cable. The copper coax is shared with all the houses in your area - the fault could be anywhere, and if it is intermittent they are clearly having problems localizing it. Time to ditch the copper coax and go for FTTH. Even if you have some delays getting the fibre pulled in, it will be worth it in the end to be rid of the copper.

Are you certain that Sky are able to do FTTH? Have they given that to you in writing? I checked a few Eircodes on Sky's site where I know FTTH is available - they are all coming up as FTTC! Is it possible that Eir are quoting you for FTTH, and Sky are quoting you for migrating Eir's FTTC to Sky. You could get locked into a year on FTTC if you go with Sky? While Eir are obliged to allow them access, Sky prefer not to have to deal with complicated installs - they usually like to port when all the heavy lifting is done by Eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

The intermittent problem you are having with VM sounds like an intermittent fault on their coax cable. The copper coax is shared with all the houses in your area - the fault could be anywhere, and if it is intermittent they are clearly having problems localizing it. Time to ditch the copper coax and go for FTTH. Even if you have some delays getting the fibre pulled in, it will be worth it in the end to be rid of the copper.

Are you certain that Sky are able to do FTTH? Have they given that to you in writing? I checked a few Eircodes on Sky's site where I know FTTH is available - they are all coming up as FTTC! Is it possible that Eir are quoting you for FTTH, and Sky are quoting you for migrating Eir's FTTC to Sky. You could get locked into a year on FTTC if you go with Sky? While Eir are obliged to allow them access, Sky prefer not to have to deal with complicated installs - they usually like to port when all the heavy lifting is done by Eir.

Where are you seeing it as FTTC? It doesnt state on the website if its FTTC or FTTH just that I can get 1gb firbre Ultrafast, Id love to be able to check if possible.

So to cut a long story short I actually ordered this over Facebook messenger so I had this in writing.

When I contacted them over the phone they were saying they couldnt supply it, he put me on hold for about 20 minutes and came back to me and said he spoke to his supervisor and they checked this with the FTTH team and yes they can supply it. At this stage after the Eir mess I got the shakes and I just cut the line. Went onto their website and it stated it was 1gb but I wanted it in writing after the Eir fiasco (Last 3 times). Ordered via FB messenger and yes I have it in writing and I even asked him to confirm the details:

"So just to clarify.

€45 per month for 1 year contract
    €70 after.

And it's FTTH 1gb line to my house?"

That was confirmed. I have 14 days cooling off anyway, Im sure the engineer will be able to confirm again. If its anything but FTTH and if they are even considering using my copper lines I will show him the door.

If there is anything I need to look out for any tips would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Im getting same issue with ethernet, 4 different routers (All be it VM router) that suggests the issue lies with the line coming in?

Your logic isn't bad, but its probably wrong here.
    So Ive been with Virgin Media for the past 4 years, the last year has been a nightmare with them, 4 routers and 4 engineer visits later and my conection drops on everything, ethernet and Wi-Fi about 5 times a day. Im right next to the router for most of it. To cut a long story short they cant find an issue, they keep saying nothing is wrong on their end.

How long is the drop? If its 90-120s at a time then its purely Virgins equipment. The technicians arent told/dont talk about it because Virgin as a whole is unwilling to pay for a decent unit based on Broadcom. I'm like a broken record here but for YEARS NTL/Virgin had the best service available in the country for consumers but they've always ruined it with terrible CPE you cant avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,733 ✭✭✭CoBo55

ED E wrote: »

How long is the drop? If its 90-120s at a time then its purely Virgins equipment. The technicians arent told/dont talk about it because Virgin as a whole is unwilling to pay for a decent unit based on Broadcom. I'm like a broken record here but for YEARS NTL/Virgin had the best service available in the country for consumers but they've always ruined it with terrible CPE you cant avoid.

All sorted with modem mode and a decent router, was for me anyway.

ED E wrote: »

It varies tbh, Im using https://isp-monitor.appspot.com/ and netspot for the last week and its an horrendous ****show. From bad signal, dropping of wifi (Could be 20 seconds to 5 minutes) Netflix buffers, sometimes I cant use my phone wifi. My Smart TV and second sky Q box is connected via ethernet and they sometimes drop, Sonos cuts out. If I use my PS5 post 7pm I can never guarantee finishing an online game of FIFA. Its just a pain in the hole at this stage and Im fed up of it. I need to try something new. With Eir I get mixed messages, go with them and dont go with them, Ive had a really bad time with them before (Customer service wise)

Everything was perfect until December 2019. Since then Ive had multipe new routers, multiple engineer visits and Im paying over €60 per month. Its time to try something new imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭allanroche

It varies tbh, Im using https://isp-monitor.appspot.com/ and netspot for the last week and its an horrendous ****show. From bad signal, dropping of wifi (Could be 20 seconds to 5 minutes) Netflix buffers, sometimes I cant use my phone wifi. My Smart TV and second sky Q box is connected via ethernet and they sometimes drop, Sonos cuts out. If I use my PS5 post 7pm I can never guarantee finishing an online game of FIFA. Its just a pain in the hole at this stage and Im fed up of it. I need to try something new. With Eir I get mixed messages, go with them and dont go with them, Ive had a really bad time with them before (Customer service wise)

Everything was perfect until December 2019. Since then Ive had multipe new routers, multiple engineer visits and Im paying over €60 per month. Its time to try something new imo.

Just to say you're not alone I'm in the same boat, I had a horrible time trying to get the upgrade sorted initially and when I did get sorted it was a mess. It then stabilised right up until just after Christmas and I have all the same issues you describe even using my own equipment, which I have been using for years.

Now my VM hub is set on a timer to restart every morning just so my gf can work from home through her VPN, the overall latency is ridiculous, I can barely achieve half my 50Mb upload directly connected to the hub with nothing else on the network and my Xbox Live disconnects constantly etc etc. I'm paying €85 p/m for this because they're the only provider available at my address for now.

I'm waiting on SIRO to complete their work in my estate (currently splitting the fibre this week) and then I'm gone.

allanroche wrote: »
    Just to say you're not alone I'm in the same boat, I had a horrible time trying to get the upgrade sorted initially and when I did get sorted it was a mess. It then stabilised right up until just after Christmas and I have all the same issues you describe even using my own equipment, which I have been using for years.

Now my VM hub is set on a timer to restart every morning just so my gf can work from home through her VPN, the overall latency is ridiculous, I can barely achieve half my 50Mb upload directly connected to the hub with nothing else on the network and my Xbox Live disconnects constantly etc etc. I'm paying €85 p/m for this because they're the only provider available at my address for now.

I'm waiting on SIRO to complete their work in my estate (currently splitting the fibre this week) and then I'm gone.

Yes I'm getting between 3mb and 15 mb recently, That's both 5 and 2.4ghz.
    I used to be getting 100mb etc.
    Sometimes you just need to pack it in and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Where are you seeing it as FTTC? It doesnt state on the website if its FTTC or FTTH just that I can get 1gb firbre Ultrafast, Id love to be able to check if possible.

So to cut a long story short I actually ordered this over Facebook messenger so I had this in writing.

When I contacted them over the phone they were saying they couldnt supply it, he put me on hold for about 20 minutes and came back to me and said he spoke to his supervisor and they checked this with the FTTH team and yes they can supply it. At this stage after the Eir mess I got the shakes and I just cut the line. Went onto their website and it stated it was 1gb but I wanted it in writing after the Eir fiasco (Last 3 times). Ordered via FB messenger and yes I have it in writing and I even asked him to confirm the details:

"So just to clarify.

€45 per month for 1 year contract
    €70 after.

And it's FTTH 1gb line to my house?"

That was confirmed. I have 14 days cooling off anyway, Im sure the engineer will be able to confirm again. If its anything but FTTH and if they are even considering using my copper lines I will show him the door.

If there is anything I need to look out for any tips would be appreciated.
    ok - good that you got it in writing from Sky. I also didn't see any reference on their site to FTTC/FTTH - but the gigabit Ultrafast reference suggests that this must be FTTH. I am a bit perplexed why their site is showing houses that have Eir FTTH as only being able to get standard broadband (FTTC) from Sky?

While it is certainly the right decision to go for FTTH, which gets you away from VM copper TV cable, and can offer 1Gbps services (and can be upgraded to 10Gbps), I don't actually see the need to sign up to anything more than 150Mbps at the moment. Even if you had 4 x 4K TVs running simultaneously, you wouldn't need 150Mbps. There is far too much emphasis on headline speeds, and not enough on other issues such as congestion, and network reliability. Other posters have indicated high levels of congestion on Sky - which would worry me. I'm not sure if your price includes TV, but €29.99pm deal from Eir seems like better value for FTTH - and that contract is also 12 months.

Good luck with getting the fibre pulled in!

ok - good that you got it in writing from Sky. I also didn't see any reference on their site to FTTC/FTTH - but the gigabit Ultrafast reference suggests that this must be FTTH. I am a bit perplexed why their site is showing houses that have Eir FTTH as only being able to get standard broadband (FTTC) from Sky?

While it is certainly the right decision to go for FTTH, which gets you away from VM copper TV cable, and can offer 1Gbps services (and can be upgraded to 10Gbps), I don't actually see the need to sign up to anything more than 150Mbps at the moment. Even if you had 4 x 4K TVs running simultaneously, you wouldn't need 150Mbps. There is far too much emphasis on headline speeds, and not enough on other issues such as congestion, and network reliability. Other posters have indicated high levels of congestion on Sky - which would worry me. I'm not sure if your price includes TV, but €29.99pm deal from Eir seems like better value for FTTH - and that contract is also 12 months.

Good luck with getting the fibre pulled in!

Thanks for all the feedback and advice Babelfish, ist very much appreciated.
    I did contact Sky again just to get double confirmation and they confirmed again. I suppose yes I should have got 150mb at the cheaper cost but with bad expereince over the last 14 months I just saw the bright lights :D

I will give sky a go, see what happens. Ive 14 days to cancel if it ends up being a ****show. Ive taken all the advice here and I think for me Sky is the best step over Eir. Well aware Ill probably eat my uneducated words though but I just dont trust Eir over past experience but Ive taken everything on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,733 ✭✭✭CoBo55

No show on the Sky BB installer for my daughter tody... Not a great start.

• Advertisement

Finally got fibre installed today. Getting huge speeds so delighted with it.

I did purchase Google nest wifi and one point. Any tips on how to create the best set up I can? Should I split the wifi to 2.4 and 5ghz or is there any need?

DO I need to use them alongside each other or kill the sky wifi connection?

It does seem Im getting faster speeds with the sky router set up which must be wrong surely? A sky router cant be better than google mesh can it?

Any help appreciated.

Advertisement