Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Premier League To Restart On The 17th June

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

plus one game on Pick HD UK

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Leicester v Man Utd is the standout fixture. Will be interesting to see whether that will a free-to-air one.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Sky picks- Round 38

Leicester v Man Utd - Main Event
    Chelsea v Wolverhampton- Premier League
    Arsenal v Watford - Football
    Everton v Bournemouth- Golf
    Palace v Spurs - Action
    Man City v Norwich - Sky One (Pick - UK only)
    Burnley v Brighton - Arena
    Southampton v Sheffield - Mix

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

West Ham v Aston Villa - BT Sport 1
    Newcastle v Liverpool - BT Sport 2

Premier Sports coverage is stil TBC on their website

West Ham v Aston Villa - BT Sport 1
    Newcastle v Liverpool - BT Sport 2

Premier Sports coverage is stil TBC on their website

Arsenal v Watford, which has the relegation battle angle to it I guess.

On a normal Round 38, Premier Sports can only choose after all U.K. picks have been made - so presumably there was some process where games were still picked in their normal order and Premier Sports could only pick at a particular point - otherwise they’d just have gone for Leicester v Man United.

• Advertisement

20 extra television games in 2020-21, 12 for Sky, six for BT and two for Premier Sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Delta2113

• Registered Users Posts: 1 wesiwyg

I use WherestheMatch.com (won't let me post the full URL as i'm a newbie so can someone else do this?) for footy, rugby and cricket TV schedules - not clear if Pick will be used when the Prem restarts this weekend, hope they do but not holding out as Sky want a return on their investment!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

wesiwyg wrote: »
    I use WherestheMatch.com.......... so can someone else do this?)
    Done :)

Personally I prefer live-footballontv.com

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The Telegraph has ran an exclusive report to say that the BBC could broadcast more PL games if fans still cannot be able to attend games in PL stadiums around the UK.

https://twitter.com/TeleFootball/status/1302627807730819072

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭fman

It's been confirmed now that all September games will be shown live.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Leicester vs Burnley will be on the BBC for Sept 20th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

I wonder will Sky show any of their additional 6 games FTA?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

for those who miss the TodayFM saturday coverage Q102 have 3 live matches on Saturday hosted by Trevor Welch and probably taking the talksport commentry. Its only on the ap or online though...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

for those who have the eir evision tv platform there is a six months offer of €20pm for sky sports, BT and Premier Sports.

In addition HD is €5 extra pm but there is no HD on sky sports with evision.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Infoanon

BT and Premier both carried the 3pm Saturday game yesterday.
    BT have a 3pm game next Saturday 19th, no game on Premier.

They were at least originally supposed to be showing Leeds v Fulham next Saturday. Not sure what the story is but the game is not currently in the schedule.

Leeds v Fulham is in the schedule now.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/12099870/premier-league-announces-pay-per-view-fixtures-in-october

Fans can purchase each match for £14.95/€16.95 via Sky Sports Box Office, channel 491 on the Sky box. Sky subscribers on third party platforms can contact their service provider for more information on how to purchase these matches.

Pick Tv (Sky One ROI) and BBC1 didn't last long.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭Trampas

Not a hope many will pay that. Top teams will have majority of games not on ppv but I wonder will they push some games that way to generate buys

• Advertisement

Fans should realize that purchasing these games are only shooting themselves in the foot. I remember years ago when we had some games PPV - thankfully they had to give up on the charging model back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,975 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

16.95 per game!

Is it April?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Ok, I'm going to get slaughtered , but I'll say it anyway. €16.95 isnt bad when you compare it to the thousands of Irish people who ( pre Covid), travel to the UK every weekend to watch Premier League football matches and what it costs them to see their favourite team. Cost of flight, match ticket, food, taxis or bus etc etc. Nobody is going to pay €16.95 for every game, but fans might pay it occasionally to watch their team.

PremPlus actually lasted six years, but it really functioned as a precursor to the Premier League selling to more than one broadcaster - even though at that stage it was basically Sky competiting against themselves.

I think the Premier League are trying to square making these games available to the fan to watch somehow with not wanting the general public to get used to all games being on TV in the U.K., for fear that if it becomes too well established the public won’t accept being restricted to 3-4 games a round again when (if) Covid is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,251 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

It's a bit of a tax on being a fan of a crappy team though, as the top teams will play far more often on Sundays on sky/bt anyway. Unless they change the way that matches are selected?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Infoanon

icdg wrote: »
    PremPlus actually lasted six years, but it really functioned as a precursor to the Premier League selling to more than one broadcaster - even though at that stage it was basically Sky competiting against themselves.

I think the Premier League are trying to square making these games available to the fan to watch somehow with not wanting the general public to get used to all games being on TV in the U.K., for fear that if it becomes too well established the public won’t accept being restricted to 3-4 games a round again when (if) Covid is over.
    Prem plus allowed you to take out an annual subscription which was not particularly expensive or you could subscribe game by game which was expensive.
    The pricing seems wron at €17/£15 per game and imho has more to do with Sky/ BT and the Premier league recouping against the considerable losses they have incurred this year.

The fact the announcement was made today possibly is in line with other covid related announcements today prior to a closing of pubs etc.

The uptake for these games will be interesting and will be informative to the Premier league on future rights deals

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Acosta

Isn't it the case in other parts of the world like the US, your sports subscription gets you all the games anyway via a match choice option? Football and sports fans get fleeced over here. The premier league are just driving people towards IPTV.

I see some gob****es on social media going on about "Oh but sure it's all going to the clubs." Yeah the poor hard up premier league clubs that have just spent hundreds of millions of players and ridiculous agents fees in the middle of a global pandemic and recession. **** em all.

Acosta wrote: »
    Isn't it the case in other parts of the world like the US, your sports subscription gets you all the games anyway via a match choice option? Football and sports fans get fleeced over here. The premier league are just driving people towards IPTV.

I see some gob****es on social media going on about "Oh but sure it's all going to the clubs." Yeah the poor hard up premier league clubs that have just spent hundreds of millions of players and ridiculous agents fees in the middle of a global pandemic and recession. **** em all.

The US is a bid of a bad example, NBC has the rights and a chunk of the games are actually on free to air terrestrial - but remember, Super Sunday is at 11am and soccer is the fifth most popular sport on TV. Premium sports isn’t as much of a thing in the US, a lot of it is FTA and another lot of it is basic cable (think Eurosport) rather than being a separate premium subscription. (But they pay premium prices for the likes of HBO and Showtime instead).

But yes, outside of Europe one provider tends to have the exclusive rights and can show all 380 games.

Be interesting if Virgin offer these games:-

1. None
    2. Sky only PPV
    3. Sky and BT PPV (highly unlikely and opens up a can off worms -so why cant we get all the BT Sports channels)

My guess none available or only Sky Box Office PPV games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/54597058

Newcastle United fans donated £20,000 to charity over the weekend in protest against the Premier League's controversial pay-per-view scheme.

The Magpies' 4-1 defeat by Manchester United on Saturday was one of several Premier League games only available live in the UK for a £14.95 fee.

It applies to the five fixtures in each round of games not televised in the UK.

The "Charity Not PPV" campaign asked fans to donate to the city's West End food bank rather than pay to watch.

Supporters from a number of other clubs who have featured in pay-per-view matches - including Aston Villa, Burnley, Leeds United and Manchester United - have also been raising thousands of pounds for local food banks.

Advertisement