Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

High-Spec PC (Oracle Server) - Where to source?

• 22-01-2020 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭

Have a friend who needs to run an Oracle Server for a small shop.

Essentially want to source him an i7/i9, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Win10 Pro.

(I can see what spec CPU / RAM / SSD in more detail again).

Wondering where to start shopping for this? I'd prefer to be able to pick and choose online and just have a ready-made machine delivered to his door as there's nothing in it for me :pac:

Any recommendations?

Comments

Dell

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭sf80

out of curiosity, do you know why a small shop would need a local Oracle server like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Hi all,
    Having a look at Dell, i've come across: https://www.dell.com/en-ie/work/shop/desktop-and-all-in-one-pcs/optiplex-5070-small-form-factor/spd/optiplex-5070-desktop/n018o5070sff

What I can't figure out is if I can add an additional 1TB SATA SSD. (There's a 256GB M2 PCIe already installed).

Or, if I can install another 1TB SSD other than SATA.

sf80 wrote: »
    out of curiosity, do you know why a small shop would need a local Oracle server like that?

Not specifically a shop, bad description on my part. They use 3rd party software which has an Oracle backend.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,381 ✭✭✭✭kippy

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Have a friend who needs to run an Oracle Server for a small shop.

Essentially want to source him an i7/i9, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Win10 Pro.

(I can see what spec CPU / RAM / SSD in more detail again).

Wondering where to start shopping for this? I'd prefer to be able to pick and choose online and just have a ready-made machine delivered to his door as there's nothing in it for me :pac:

Any recommendations?

Hi John,
    You could try Elara.ie (They stock a tonne of stuff)
    For something like this the warranty is probably as important as the hardware itself so keep that in mind.

• Advertisement

kippy wrote: »
    Hi John,
    You could try Elara.ie (They stock a tonne of stuff)
    For something like this the warranty is probably as important as the hardware itself so keep that in mind.

Cheers.

Actually found something suitable straight away: https://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=WCE7PE89EAABU

Plenty of scope for HDD expansion if needed (although 1TB is plenty).

I'm not worried about RAID on SSD. As we'll be keeping daily images, i'd almost be recommending that in x years they purchase a new M2 SSD HDD and replace it as preventative maintenance.

Advertisement