Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Open 2020

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Fed just can't seem to take his break opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭Floppybits

jr86 wrote: »
    Yeah I think January is just way too early in the year for it

I always associate elite events with being well into the season in a given sport. I personally don't understand a major tournament taking place only a few weeks into a new season.

Would personally like them to be scheduled much more like the golf

Probably the reason for the AO in January is because it is the Australian summer. It probably could be moved to either November or February/March.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Floppybits wrote: »
    Probably the reason for the AO in January is because it is the Australian summer. It probably could be moved to either November or February/March.

I get the reasoning... but just in my own personal opinion I don't like the timing of it

I can't see it being moved however. The way the world is gone we'll sooner see IW or Shanghai upgraded to a major in March or October I reckon ($$$)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Millman has given Feds nothing. And Feds has shown nothing, yet he's eeked out 2-1 sets lead.

Millman breaks in the 4th

very interesting to see can he take it to a 5th

A home 5-setter v Fed will surely do wonders for raising his profile back home

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

And Millman breaks in the 5th. Millman must be superfit, he's played doubles as well this week.

whiterebel wrote: »
    And Millman breaks in the 5th. Millman must be superfit, he's played doubles as well this week.

Doubles isn't particularly taxing though.

I think most players avoid it mainly down to the scheduling issues it brings

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

bloody hell, Millman was 10-1 to win this match!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Fed breaks back! Honestly can't call this match. Can't believe I'm saying that about a Fed-Millman matchup either...

Federer fans such sycophants, I can't believe he is the favourite here with Millman...

edit sorry to clarify I mean crowd favourite

• Advertisement

switched off, can't stand the bias toward Federer ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Millman playing like a 2.0 Monfils.

• Site Banned Posts: 22 Guava Juice

Don't see why people are so surprised, Millman beat Federer at the 2018 US Open and Federer is 38 now.

Didn't know they have a final set tiebreak at 6-6 now at AO.

Is that new this year ?
    So French is the only one now where in theory it can go to 100-100 ....

Didn't know they have a final set tiebreak at 6-6 now at AO.

Is that new this year ?
    So French is the only one now where in theory it can go to 100-100 ....

Yeah all the slams have unique ways to finish matches now

First to 10 tie-break at the AO

F*ck off Federer ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Fk me what a match! What a comeback!

Just f*ck off and retire Federer ...

Epic!!! Brilliant match. I do feel sorry for Millman, he gave everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

That's why we love 5 setters at Grand Slams! The likes of Ben Rothenberg et al. who are advocating for Bo3 can piss right off!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

turned it back on at 8-7 Millman in the Champo Tie Break.
    Didnt realise it was 8-4 to Millman.
    Well done Roger.
    Kudos for getting it done somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭Floppybits

What a win that was. Thought he was a goner there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭josip

So will a 5 setter at this stage of the tournament be a positive or a negative for Federer?
    ie a decent bit of practice or the 38 year old would have preferred to conserve energy for the 2nd week?

Yesssssss!!!!

josip wrote: »
    So will a 5 setter at this stage of the tournament be a positive or a negative for Federer?
    ie a decent bit of practice or the 38 year old would have preferred to conserve energy for the 2nd week?

negative, can't see him reach semis to be honest ... where is he seeded to meet Nadal ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Federer was a bit lucky, but you make your own luck.

That's a good win for him. Millman is a bogey opponent. That was a horror draw for him and he came through. I don't expect him to win the tournament but he's still in there. Wouldn't write him off either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,966 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Happy Fed got through but can't see him winning it, think I'm actually happier at seeing Serena get dumped out.

You could see how emotional Fed was after that match, he was stretched to the absolute limit mentally and emotionally. As a Fed fan since 2004 I'm delighted he's through, hopefully this match will shake out the cobwebs and help him raise his level.

Millman will be very disappointed, I thought he was the better player over the five sets, however it's only the final score that matters. Similar to the Wimbledon final, Federer was the better player that time but somehow managed to lose.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

jr86 wrote: »
    Yeah no harm for the women's game. Serena is 38 now and anytime I've seen her since her return she's looked unfit and ponderous out on court. It was an almighty travesty she made a Wimbledon final last year with the condition she was in, but luckily Halep absolutely hockeyed her

A legend of the game obviously but I don't think its a good look if a 38 year old way past her pomp is simply powering her way to slams.

Even leaving all that aside, her classless celebrations when she wins a run of the mill point against a no-hoper, her antics in all those infamous US open finals, yeah I won't be sorry if she never wins another slam, she's won more than enough anyway

I want her to beat Court's 'record' but I can't root for her either, so it's a weird catch-22. I mean Serena isn't a very nice person but Margaret Court is repulsive.

• Advertisement

I want her to beat Court's 'record' but I can't root for her either, so it's a weird catch-22. I mean Serena isn't a very nice person but Margaret Court is repulsive.

I know we'll be a while waiting but maybe Coco Gauff will ultimately do it!!

Great to see her backing up her Wimbledon run.

Advertisement