Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2020 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Yeah, for me it was the acoustics too. She wasnt the only one in that regard to be fair, but she seemed on another level when it came to decibels.

Jabeur lost to kvitova but tight contested match. I think she's only the second tunisian female to break the top 100. Survived early years by living off her husband's earnings, he does winter sports of some form so doubt that was an extravagant existence. She can repay him now with interest.

Adam Levine had great hopes given the acoustics but alas...

Who is the current loudest?

Muguruza is a ridiculous ear-splitter.

You'd want to turn the volume down or you'd be accused of watching something else.

Mind you Schiavone gives her a run for her money here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOXD15QlBW8&feature=youtu.be&t=8

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

good fun match here between Monfils and Djokovic, gone to a third set.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

lostcat wrote: »
    good fun match here between Monfils and Djokovic, gone to a third set.

Gael was 0-16 against Djokovic heading into the match and just lost three match points, unfortunately this match is only going one way now I feel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

How many times has Djokovic saved match points and turned a match around, even against the best players. He is unbelievable!

Monfils could still win but it’s remarkable how Novak does it so often under such pressure. He is a phenomenal competitor

Djokovic completes the comeback from match points down. Feel for Monfils, that’s 17 matches vs Djokovic and Novak has won all 17!

How many times has Djokovic saved match points and turned a match around, even against the best players. He is unbelievable!

Monfils could still win but it’s remarkable how Novak does it so often under such pressure. He is a phenomenal competitor

yes. simply unreal.

Poor aul fed has 3 times had 2 match points on him in GS semis or the final and lost the match afterwards. Obviously hates the fcuker notwithstanding the well-practised saccharine smile always available for the cameras afterwards although the first time it happened at the US Open afaik he threw a bit of a freaker in the presser and called Djokovic lucky lol.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2011/sep/11/us-open-2011-federer-djokovic
    "To lose against someone like that, it's very disappointing, because you feel like he was mentally out of it already. Just gets the lucky shot at the end, and off you go."

"It's awkward having to explain this loss," a tetchy Federer said, "because I feel like I should be doing the other press conference."

and he was referring to a brilliant winner, not some net-cord job.

I agree, those were really lame comments by Federer. Djokovic is arguably the greatest returner of all time and he does it too many times for it to be considered a fluke.

Djokovic is probably the strongest mentally of any player I have seen. Nadal also very strong in that department
    glasso wrote: »
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2011/sep/11/us-open-2011-federer-djokovic

and he was referring to a brilliant winner, not some net-cord job.

• Advertisement

lostcat wrote: »

Sharapova was never going to win another major tournament I think, even without injury. I'm ambivalent about her legacy, the ban was correctly applied and is quite damaging but the taking of that drug was not banned for the majority of the time she was taking it. It would be naive to think that she is the only player to be taking this kind of stuff.

Also the fact that she was complete rubbish when she came back after the meldonium ban only adds fuel to the speculation that it helped her greatly.

Djokovic beats Tsitsipas in straight sets to win the Dubai title. 21 consecutive match wins to start 2020. Novak really making a statement early in the season.

On the verge of 80 ATP tournament wins now. Amazing achievement and I think only a few tournaments shy of Nadal but Novak is a year younger and two years less on tour.

You could make a case for Djokovic being tied with Nadal now in terms of career achievements. I know two less slams but there is more to it than that. Heading towards 300 weeks at world number one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Djokovic beats Tsitsipas in straight sets to win the Dubai title. 21 consecutive match wins to start 2020. Novak really making a statement early in the season.

On the verge of 80 ATP tournament wins now. Amazing achievement and I think only a few tournaments shy of Nadal but Novak is a year younger and two years less on tour.

You could make a case for Djokovic being tied with Nadal now in terms of career achievements. I know two less slams but there is more to it than that. Heading towards 300 weeks at world number one
    You could certainly make a case, but slams are ultimately what count in most peoples eyes.

You could certainly make a case, but slams are ultimately what count in most peoples eyes.

weeks at number 1 -> 280 vs 310 for Fed. will overtake him surely, maybe even this year.

slams - currently looks like he will get to 20 (even by end of next Jan maybe) if he can have another good 2 years but you never know....

What about the split of slams, Nadal so heavily balanced towards the french Open. For me Novak’s split of slams is more impressive. I get what you are saying though.

You would be a brave man to bet on who will finish with the most

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Straightforward win for Nadal overnight in Acapulco too. An 85th ATP win, and with the clay swing around the corner, more to come I'd say. The "next gen" are proving to be really pathetic so far though. Nadal and Djokovic weren't even troubled in their finals.

Although I do remember Federer fans putting a lot of emphasis on weeks at world number 1 also before Djokovic started appearing in the rear view mirror

• Registered Users Posts: 13,623 ✭✭✭✭josip

glasso wrote: »
    Although I do remember Federer fans putting a lot of emphasis on weeks at world number 1 also before Djokovic started appearing in the rear view mirror

Ah, but it's not the total number of weeks that's the measure of greatness, but the number of consecutive weeks :)

josip wrote: »
    Ah, but it's not the total number of weeks that's the measure of greatness, but the number of consecutive weeks :)

that should be rephrased to - "measure of period where the competitive landscape was relatively poor by historical standards and the other future greats too young" :)

February 2, 2004 – August 17, 2008 - 237 weeks.

Once Nadal came up to his peak that was the end of it.

Straightforward win for Nadal overnight in Acapulco too. An 85th ATP win, and with the clay swing around the corner, more to come I'd say. The "next gen" are proving to be really pathetic so far though. Nadal and Djokovic weren't even troubled in their finals.

true - not a very challenging showing in these finals.

Djokovic and Nadal are still way ahead on the mental toughness and resilience side of things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Larcher Brito or whatever she was called was a hell of a grunter.

Jannik Sinner, Alcaraz and Lorenzo Musetti are the future of men's tennis. You heard it here first/second.

Sheridan81 wrote: »
    Larcher Brito or whatever she was called was a hell of a grunter.

Jannik Sinner, Alcaraz and Lorenzo Musetti are the future of men's tennis. You heard it here first/second.

https://www.reddit.com/r/tennis/ are big on Alcaraz

remains to be seen who comes through. lots of talent but aside from Fed who was just better for a long period if you take Djokovic and Nadal their primary strength (obviously have all the rest) was/is the top 5 inches and that doesn't become apparent until a couple of years at pros. or in the case of Djokovic it took him a bit longer to sort that out even.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Wow, Indian Wells has been cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I'm supposed to be getting Roland Garros tickets in two weeks. The hotel and flights are already paid for so I might as well now, but could see quite a lot of the clay court season being affected by this now.

Wonder how they will work out the ranking points due to the cancellation, will everyone just drop their all their points? Federer would hop back over Theim into #3 if this was the case.

Its a wider question however, if several tournaments get cancelled how are they going to mantain rankings?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Apparently most of the players were there already and didn't even know.

to answer my query above:

'The ATP world rankings work on a 52 weeks basis. Hence, the players drop their points after 52 weeks regardless of whether the tournament happens or not.'

This is from a blog rather than an offical ATP source but seems to make sense. Looks like Thiem will mantain a 15pt lead over Federer after this week.

I'm supposed to be getting Roland Garros tickets in two weeks. The hotel and flights are already paid for so I might as well now, but could see quite a lot of the clay court season being affected by this now.

I was going to try for them this year but not sure it's worth the risk. I could probably get a hotel refunded through booking.com, and if RG was actually cancelled then they'd surely either refund the tickets or give vouchers for next year. Flights through Aer Lingus are almost certainly non-refundable unless you pay crazy amounts for your fee to begin with though, so it's a question of whether I'd be willing to lose the flight money. The situation changes so rapidly too it's difficult to see where we'd be in two weeks or a month, let alone late May/early June.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I've a holiday in the south of France/north of Spain booked for then anyway, I just rerouted the start of it through Paris so I could go to this. Flights/hotel in Paris and train to the south already paid for so I'll be going either way as long as there's not an outright travel ban. I'd imagine they'll have to fully refund the tickets if the tournament is cancelled?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I've a holiday in the south of France/north of Spain booked for then anyway, I just rerouted the start of it through Paris so I could go to this. Flights/hotel in Paris and train to the south already paid for so I'll be going either way as long as there's not an outright travel ban. I'd imagine they'll have to fully refund the tickets if the tournament is cancelled?

Yes, if its cancelled then they would have to give you your money back. Fingers crossed that things don't go down that route.

Advertisement