Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Australian Open 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SophieLockhart

Floppybits wrote: »
    I don't know why people are comparing him to Stan, maybe it is the 3 slams they both have but Murray has been a better more consistent player than Stan. His record is

3 - Grand slams
    2 - Olympic golds
    11 - Grand slam final appearances

Stan's record is

3 - Grand Slams
    4 - Grand Slam Final appearances.

If I was to look at ATP titles won between the 2, Murray is streets ahead. 11 Grand slam final appearances in the era of Federer, Nadal and Djokovic is unreal.

Yes but there is a belief that peak Stan was superior to peak Murray. If the Big 3 were honest, they might admit to preferring Murray in a Slam final rather than Stan.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Yes but there is a belief that peak Stan was superior to peak Murray. If the Big 3 were honest, they might admit to preferring Murray in a Slam final rather than Stan.

This. Murray was FAR more consistent. But when Stanimal showed up.....all bets were off.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Bubblegummers

Rob2D wrote: »
    This. Murray was FAR more consistent. But when Stanimal showed up.....all bets were off.

Stanimal can show up in round one, then in Round 2 Taylor fritz could break him 3 times in a set.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I know she's never exactly been a model of consistency, but Ostapenko is in terrible form right now. 0-3 to start the year, on a five match losing streak and lost seven of her last eight matches. Hasn't won consecutive matches since the US Open.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I see Stan has retired in his first round match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

He may aswell pack it in for good now too

• Registered Users Posts: 13,621 ✭✭✭✭josip

Halep has lost the first set, unlikely to lose either of the next 2.

It was Wawrinka's opponent Gulbis who retired.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

josip wrote: »
    Halep has lost the first set, unlikely to lose either of the next 2.

One of the tougher R1 draws I’d say, in a real battle out there. 50-50 match as things stand.

shamrock55 wrote: »
    He may aswell pack it in for good now too

Gulbis retired 3 1 down and a set up in the 2nd

• Advertisement

Halep must be hating Kanepi right now, given she dumped her out of US Open in R1 last time they met. Would be some dose to see a repeat here!

Breaks from 0-40, didn’t see that coming. Halep should be home now.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Azarenka out in the first round to Siegemund, very difficult to know what's going on with her these days. She's got the travelling situation sorted out, at least for the moment, so I don't know what the issue is. She's done well with her two grand slams but I think she should've won at least twice that.

Osaka's looking in fine form so far.

The women are always a mixed bag. I don't know why anyone is ever surprised.

I see Paire is losing. Hopefully I can catch a meltdown during my lunch break! :pac:

Paire fighting back against Thiem.

He won the 3rd set and is a break up in the 4th.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Thiem is mentally weak, it's a shame these new young lads just aren't up for it ... it's on serve in the 5th and his shoulders are slumped, he needs to stop thinking of the 2-0 lead he had and just finish the job, still needs to win one more set, same as 2/0.

Thats the way you think of these things, dammit I should go into coaching :P

Thiem is mentally weak, it's a shame these new young lads just aren't up for it ... it's on serve in the 5th and his shoulders are slumped, he needs to stop thinking of the 2-0 lead he had and just finish the job, still needs to win one more set, same as 2/0.

I remember playing in Carrickmines **** if we could all have that mentality you’d drive it home. You can’t stop a momentum swing. The 3 missed match points at 3 5 final set could of been back to haunt him. Paire is brutal too.

Funny you should mention that, Annabel Croft was just talking about that today. She said players today dont seem to be able to cope with the stresses in the game and need to vent at their boxes. This was after the Halep match.

She said players today dont seem to be able to cope with the stresses in the game and need to vent at their boxes.

I've been saying this for ages as well. If you ever look at Federer/Nadal when they **** up a point, they immediately collect themselves. And you can see them start to focus inwards and think about what went wrong.

A lot of the younger ones seem to just throw tantrums when it doesn't go their way. Murray was also a huge example of this, constantly moaning and looking up to mammy in the box. It really held him back.

Nole can be guilty of it too at times, but he seems to be able to push through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

I see that “The Coach” feature is no longer part of Game Schett and Mats.

All because of the fallout from Serena-gate?

• Advertisement

I've been saying this for ages as well. If you ever look at Federer/Nadal when they **** up a point, they immediately collect themselves. And you can see them start to focus inwards and think about what went wrong.

A lot of the younger ones seem to just throw tantrums when it doesn't go their way. Murray was also a huge example of this, constantly moaning and looking up to mammy in the box. It really held him back.

Nole can be guilty of it too at times, but he seems to be able to push through it.

Worse thing they did was allow coaching during matches on the women's tour. A big part of the game is figuring out a way to win on your own when things aren't going your way.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭bada_bing

Am really annoyed with the coverage of Eurosport on SKY, i wanted to see the highlights of djokovic's match today but all i've seen so far is all the british players matches, all the women's matches. Yesterday they made sure to repeat Federer's match which i'm fine with as he's the defending champion. i might have missed the highlights but i've been checking every hour or so and still no sign of highlights of the world number 1 player, Wimbledon and US Open champion. Is Eurosport just too biased or what?? and don't get me started on the Rolex ads, not a single mention of 6 time winner djokovic!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Aye. He has enough raw talent so it doesn't hamper his game as much.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

bada_bing wrote: »
    Am really annoyed with the coverage of Eurosport on SKY, i wanted to see the highlights of djokovic's match today but all i've seen so far is all the british players matches, all the women's matches. Yesterday they made sure to repeat Federer's match which i'm fine with as he's the defending champion. i might have missed the highlights but i've been checking every hour or so and still no sign of highlights of the world number 1 player, Wimbledon and US Open champion. Is Eurosport just too biased or what?? and don't get me started on the Rolex ads, not a single mention of 6 time winner djokovic!!!

You can get highlights (ranging from 5 to 15 minutes) on YouTube if Eurosport don't end up showing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

and don't get me started on the Rolex ads, not a single mention of 6 time winner djokovic!!!
    He's not sponsored by Rolex, so they can't use his image in their ads. All the rest are either sponsored or were able to sign a release. Djokovic is sponsored by Seiko, so he can't sign a release with Rolex.

I signed up for the Eurosport Player using a Bargain Alerts link before Christmas and it looks like I have a choice of 5 different matches to watch.
    Are they all live or are some of them just replays?

YsLM7Cx.png

Bastista Agut is in another marathon 5 setter, Aussie Millman has come from 2 sets down against him. If Bastista Agut gets through this he will be exhausted for the next round. Millman must be the slight favorite to win this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Just sickening .... This will all come out in 10/15 years - but of course it won't matter then ...

Just sickening .... This will all come out in 10/15 years - but of course it won't matter then ...

Whats this?

• Advertisement

Whats this?

I suspect Nadal won

Advertisement