Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Hand Archery Equipment For Sale.

• 09-08-2014 2:16pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Some rules:
    1. Use the post title to say if you want to sell equipment, or are requesting equipment.
    2. All info should be in one post, never post the same thing twice. If you need to modify the info then use the EDIT function.
    3. Photos of the gear is allowed, but keep the file size small
    4. Never post anything other than what is on sale/sought - this is not a chat thread. Any chat posts will be deleted
    5. Only ONE mention of price is allowed.
    6. ALL TRANSACTIONS AND COMMUNICATIONS FOLLOWING THE INITIAL POST MUST BE CARRIED OUT BY PM ONLY
    7. When the gear is sold please let me know and I'll remove the details so the thread doesn't clog up with old stuff.
    8. You may not link to adverts in your posts on this thread, whether they are yours or others, regardless of their site of origin (adverts.ie, donedeal, ebay, etc).

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Hi All,

Looking for a compound bow with arrows if possible. Have shot the recurve bow but want something with more power and have always had an interest in the compound bows.

PM me if you have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Spectreon666

I have an Airsoft rifle & pistol with accessories which I would be willing to swap with a compound bow and other gear. Check it out here...thanks

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057059378

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Spectreon666

I did a trade with the above airsoft rifle elsewhere. Just looking for cheapish equipment to upgrade my new compound bow - Pin sights and aluminium arrows (30") is mainly what I'm looking for. Or anything you don't need any more that I might. The cheaper the better until I improve. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

Hi all,
    I'm thinking about selling my beloved Bodnik Raven AFB. 40lbs@28"
    It's 10 months old and comes with a 30 year Bodnik Bows warranty.
    It comes with a whisper string and bow bag.
    The Raven is €568 new, so I'd be looking for €490.
    Here is a link to the bow: https://shop.bearpaw-products.com/WebshopB2C/Home/Product?ProductID=984&SelectedPage=1

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭meridan64

I'm selling my Samick bow and associated gear.
    The riser is a Samick Mizar with Centering, Tiller & strength adjustments. All original accessories Plus instruction manual come with the bow.
    The bow has Samick universal limbs, 40 lbs at 23h, 68 inches, 38 lbs at 25h, 70 inches,
    The package includes
    Cartel Sight,
    Hi Spec Finger Tab
    Carrying case,
    14 carbon fibre arrows, 12 aluminum arrows, Belt with Arrow holder

Th3 whole lot cost me over 500 euro, looking for offers around 300, Cork area
    All you need to get started in included

an almost identical bow (minus the balancer) is shown here.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyyEVqusFTE

Price: € 300

pictures can be seen here
    http://www.donedeal.ie/othersports-for-sale/full-samick-archery-kit/7855721

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭SteveBabyface

I did a trade with the above airsoft rifle elsewhere. Just looking for cheapish equipment to upgrade my new compound bow - Pin sights and aluminium arrows (30") is mainly what I'm looking for. Or anything you don't need any more that I might. The cheaper the better until I improve. Thanks

If you are still looking for sights have a Trophy Ridge 5 pin sight for sale €40 or I have a Toxonics 1400 sight with a Cartel scope with .5 and .75 lenses for €70

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭nixdorfjnr

I bought the bow and bag before christmas on Adverts.ie with a view to resume the sport of archery but alas it wasn't to be.
    Everything else in the kit (everything you need to enter the sport) is new shop bought and never used.
    If anyone is looking for a new bow this would be ideal for intermediate-advanced archer/hunter
    50# - 70# draw weight currently set at 57#
    Draw length 29"
    7" brace height
    32.5" ATA
    80% let off
    GX Hybrid Cam (fitted with Pro Stop cable stop)
    IBO 342-334fps
    TruGlow Downdraft drop away rest (4 months old)
    New Delta Force strings and cables (4 months old)
    Avalon Classic Compound bag
    Trophy Ridge 5 pin sight
    Bow stand
    8 easton Fatboy carbon arrows 500 shaft 30 inch drawlength(new)
    8 Acc carbon arrows 28 inch draw length(used but PWO)
    Easton Bone Bracer - Blue(new)
    Mybo Q4 Target Quiver Right Handed Blue(new)
    Archery Compound Bow Release Aid Archery (new)
    This is a high end bow and a really nice piece of kit worth every penny of asking!
    Everything for 550 euro OVNO.

more photos

550 euro or vno

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Murphd5

Where are you based?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

Looking for some beginner gear for a 15yr old.
    Thanx

Murphd5 wrote: »
    Where are you based?
    Based in Swords Co. dublin

Looking for some beginner gear for a 15yr old.
    Thanx
    Sorry Youngblood This equipment would not suit a beginner i'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 3 conorobeolain

Hi all,

I am a Barebow'er based in Galway. I currently own a Raven Prestige riser with Infitec limbs.
    I will be getting new Uukha limbs in the next few months, but I also want to invest in a new riser, particularly the Bernardini Nilo.
    I know that they are quite expensive, and as I am a student, even more so! So I would like to ask if anyone has or knows of anyone that has this riser, and if they are willing to sell for a reasonable second hand price.

Thanks guys!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

I think you'd want to try a Nilo for a while before committing to buying one... the grip is a love it-hate it type of thing.

There are other good barebow risers available. Some of the Spigarelli's are reasonably cheap from new. Also the new Gillo G1 and G2 risers, with the G2 aimed at the intermediate market. Lots of weighting combinations on those ones.

Or buy a second-hand riser that's one of the better ones from a few years ago and use screw in weights.

Not trying to put you off a Nilo, they are reputed to be great risers from a great manufacturer but take the grip into consideration.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Evilman308

hey folks I have a les howis marksman meteor recurve bow and 6 alu arrows for sale,its 66-34x28 and in great condition
    asking is 260 euro
    based tullamore

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Anyone in Dublin selling arrows?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Try archeryshop.ie (Valleymount, Co. Wicklow) or Shooting Style (Trim, Co. Meath).

Adam Grant

MarkY91 wrote: »

Got 8 Easton fatboy arrows I bought for an idea I had .brand new
    never used even for practise.
    condition new spine 500 and black and yellow vane 90 euro.
    100 euro posted

also 8 acc 550 spine 29 " ;egth with white/blue van 48 euro.

• Advertisement

Complete beginner here. Was hoping for old cheap ones. I've a few coming with the bow I'm gonna order so I'm ok for them now. Thanks guys

Complete beginner here. Was hoping for old cheap ones. I've a few coming with the bow I'm gonna order so I'm ok for them now. Thanks guys

believe me 6 euro an arrow is very cheap and these are carbon .jut a heads up fibreglass arrows are not allowed at most irish training classes

nixdorfjnr wrote: »
    believe me 6 euro an arrow is very cheap and these are carbon .jut a heads up fibreglass arrows are not allowed at most irish training classes

I've noticed how expensive this sport can be. If I like it alot, I'll upgrade my equipment for sure.

Why ain't they allowed? Only carbon and wood then?

Do you know what spine/length of arrows you need?
    What style of bow are you shooting?
    What is the draw weight?
    What is your draw length?

Do you know what spine/length of arrows you need?
    What style of bow are you shooting?
    What is the draw weight?
    What is your draw length?

I didn't get a bow yet. I honestly for the moment will be using it for a bit of fun out my back so I'm not bothered Wether it's a recurve or compound. Or if it's a low poundage or high (I believe I can draw what an average tall man can draw)..I'll be shooting at a target about 15 yards away at most so even a low poundage will do, right?

I'm 6"3 my draw lenght AFAIK is about 30+ inches

But I'm sure getting a bow close to that will do as I'm just using it for the craic for now.

So I'm after a preowned cheap bow of any sort until I decide later in the year if I want to join a club and get the perfect bow for me etc.

Fair enough.
    I might suggest you get a bow first and then go for the arrows. If you do that then at least some of us here can better advise you on what you need.

To give you one example - Lets say you buy some cheap carbon arrows from somebody on Boards or Adverts. You then decide that compound archery is your thing and buy yourself a cheap compound.

First problem - Recurve and compound arrows are nocked differently and therefore don't work very well on the other type of bow.

Second problem - a light carbon recurve arrow will be fine on a starter/ intermediate recurve bow, but will not take the strain of being shot out of a compound bow. Generally this means that you end up in hospital with bits of an arrow through your hand.

If you are serious, sign up for a beginners course and learn the basics. I am chairman of Dundrum Archers and we run a six week beginners course every nine weeks. I think we still have spaces available in our September course if you are interested and it suited you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I've noticed how expensive this sport can be. If I like it alot, I'll upgrade my equipment for sure.

Why ain't they allowed? Only carbon and wood then?

Carbon or Aluminium, or a Carbon/Alu mix would be the usual. The only people that use wood arrows are traditional styles.
    I didn't get a bow yet. I honestly for the moment will be using it for a bit of fun out my back so I'm not bothered Wether it's a recurve or compound. Or if it's a low poundage or high (I believe I can draw what an average tall man can draw)..I'll be shooting at a target about 15 yards away at most so even a low poundage will do, right?

I'm 6"3 my draw lenght AFAIK is about 30+ inches

But I'm sure getting a bow close to that will do as I'm just using it for the craic for now.

So I'm after a preowned cheap bow of any sort until I decide later in the year if I want to join a club and get the perfect bow for me etc.

Join a club first, get a bow later. If only for the sake of safety so you can do a beginner training course. You will injure yourself if you don't. It might not be something as severe as shooting yourself with an arrow, but incorrect form and posture can easily cause back, arm and shoulder injuries.

An average tall man with zero archery experience can draw relatively fup all weight - because:
    A) you'll be using the wrong muscles
    B) the correct muscles are severely underused in normal circumstances

I've seen plenty of average tall men shake like a leaf drawing back a 26# bow. Having the benefit of going to a beginner course means you will learn how to draw properly, and what weight is appropriate for you. It's not about being a big strong man that can hold 70#. It's about consistency. If you're over-bowed, your form will suffer and your shot will deteriorate rapidly, and you'll end up with an injury very quickly.

I wouldn't even suggest looking at a compound until you've done a safety course. As much as you can injure yourself with a recurve, the kinetic energy stored in a compound bow makes it much more dangerous. Dry fire it and not only will the bow probably explode leaving you with nothing functional, you'll more than likely be on the way to A&E. Put arrows that are too weak through a compound and they will shatter. This means the energy has nowhere to go but into the bow, and it's the same as if you dry fired the bow.

Having such a long draw length, you're going to need to know you're getting the right arrows also. Too short and they'll fall off the rest when drawing and more than likely you'll put one through your hand.
    If you are serious, sign up for a beginners course and learn the basics.

This. This above all else.

Thanks for that. I didn't realise how much goes into archery even for a hobby archer. Dundrum and greenhills archery clubs are close enough to me.

I may take up the offer above for Dundrums beginners course as there seems a fair amount of things can go wrong mostly because of not knowing the basics!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Grootbaas

Hi Guys, My family and I are new to the sport of archery and we enjoy it very much. I am therefore looking to buy some kit, but instead of going new I would prefer the second hand route first. I would like to look at two kits for two 12 year old boys and I would need a 25" riser, with spines etc. a 30 draw strength with arrows, bags, stands and what have you.
    Thank you in advance.

• Advertisement

Before anyone dives in and starts selling you all the bits and pieces they don't want/need any more. You mention that you are new to archery, have you done a beginners course?

The reason I ask is that after a beginners course you will have some idea as to what you need. Saying that you want a 25" riser is one thing but generally it is the length of the limbs that determine the length of the bow. 66", 68" and 70" are the common sizes, but the length of bow will depend on your height and draw length. As for the weight, 30# is slightly heavy to start out with, unless you have already done a course and worked your way up to that weight. I gave up shooting a recurve bow and switched over to a compound bow after two years. I had only just switched to 32# limbs, having worked my way up from 26#. The correct arrows will also be determined by the bow draw weight and your draw length.

If you haven't done a beginners course it will give you six weeks use of a bow and arrows during which you will discover if archery is the sport for your two boys. There is nothing worse than shelling out hard earned cash for bows, arrows, quivers, tabs, arm guards etc and then only to find out that they are not too bothered and would prefer to be out playing football instead.

If you are just messing about in the garden/field, buy what ever you want and enjoy*. If you are serious and plan to stick with the sport, join a club and shoot competitively, then do a beginners course to learn the correct form/technique and get some advice on what equipment would suit you and help you to become an excellent archer.

*Please make sure that you take every precaution to make sure that you, your boys and anybody else are safe. A bow and arrow are dangerous and can cause serious injury. Never allow anyone to stand in front of somebody shooting a bow and make sure that the target area is situated in a place that will prevent arrows from flying off into the sunset should you miss the target. Trust me, it will happen.

Advertisement