Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media: EPC2425/3925 Modem/Router and Speed Issues - POST HERE ONLY

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

So, I've been having problems with the EPC2425. Kept resetting itself back to gateway mode and re-enabling the wireless. I have it set up in bridge mode through a complex network, so this was quite an annoying problem.
    I called UPC, and advised them of it - told them I still had my old Scientific Atlanta modem lying around. On request, the agent took the two MAC numbers and switched the provisioning back to the Scientific Atlanta modem.I highly recommend any of you who still have the SA lying around to give them a call and request that the provisioning be changed.
    Elessar wrote: »
    I just got this modem after re-signing up to UPC broadband.

Is it possible to use a 5GHz network on it? Currently on wireless I'm only getting a max of 25mb/s downloads instead of 30mb. An upgrade to 5GHz might help?
    edit: via ethernet i'm getting a full 35mb download speed! Is there any way of getting this wirelessly?

There is no 5GHz option on this modem.To rule out channel interference, you could use this program: http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

Otherwise, you're getting exceptional speeds for wireless, I wouldn't complain with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

This doesn't happen all the time, but every now and then when I'm using Utorrent the connection will drop and I have to reset the router to get internet access again.

Anyone else have this issue? I can be a pain in the arse because sometimes you have to reset it a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,950 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Elessar wrote: »
    I just got this modem after re-signing up to UPC broadband.

Is it possible to use a 5GHz network on it? Currently on wireless I'm only getting a max of 25mb/s downloads instead of 30mb. An upgrade to 5GHz might help?
    edit: via ethernet i'm getting a full 35mb download speed! Is there any way of getting this wirelessly?

FYI I get 32-34mb/s wirelessly with good seeded torrents. I've a Belkin N wireless router running off the epc2425.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 mahblah

Hi,
    I've recently switched from Eircom to UPC 20 Mb broadband (with the supplied Cisco 2425), and while the wired connection works almost perfectly, the wireless is dire.
    While standing right beside the router I have low signal strength, and that's if I'm lucky! I downloaded inSSIDer, and there's no interfering networks nearby.
    Can anyone think why the signal would be so terrible, and how to fix/improve it if possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Hi guys,

Over the past few days, I've been noticing some strange behavior with my UPC service. But I later found out that it's not just me experiencing this, but a hell of a lot of people I know with UPC. The problem affects the wireless and appears to be apathetic of the router used.

Basically, I keep getting kicked from the Wi-Fi, after which I won't be able to reconnect. This happens to me and many other people in at least two places, using two different models of router - a Cisco EPC2425 and a Netgear (unsure of model) - on Windows, Mac and Linux. One of these connections is a home line and another is a business line, both in Galway city. I initially thought this was a problem with my laptop's wireless card, since it happened with two different routers, but after seeing it happen on several other computers on the same network I knew something was up.

How on earth could two different models of router be experiencing the same behavior in the same time frame? I thought the connection to a router would be separate from the ISP connection. I've called UPC and done all the usual - changing channel, resetting the router, etc.

I've asked on Facebook and Twitter and am receiving responses that the same is happening to other people across the country. Is this affecting anyone on Boards?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

Im having bad download speed on 20mb connection.I am only getting 3mb to 4mb download speeds is there anything i could do to fix it thanks rob.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 J_B_K

Hi

We got a EPC2425 when we signed up for UPC

Somebody put a password on it and they cant remember

Is there anyway to reset it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

Can someone please explain the settings on my Netgear router pppoe and pppoA?
    I am supposed to be using pppoe but it will only work on pppoA, could this cause loss of speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

J_B_K wrote: »
    Hi

We got a EPC2425 when we signed up for UPC

Somebody put a password on it and they cant remember

Is there anyway to reset it ?

There is a reset button on the back of the modem itself.

Im still having speed problems at night does anyone know what could cause it. Im on a wired connection and getting 4.1mb down and 1.3up im suppose have 20mb down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭CSU

rob808 wrote: »
    Im still having speed problems at night does anyone know what could cause it. Im on a wired connection and getting 4.1mb down and 1.3up im suppose have 20mb down

You might get a response posting in the computers/tech forum mate

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=9

• Registered Users Posts: 12,368 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

It's called congestion if it happens between 6pm and midnight and fine during the rest of the day, you need to ring UPC and lodge a complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Dark Nex

You can't use two xboxs properly at the same time on this stupid router because only one of the NATs can be open!!! Do UPC have any other routers or am I allowed buy a different one? It's a cable router though so might be hard to find a replacement???

Im having speed problem in the day and nigth rang upc they said everything fine on there ends but mine ends not 2mb on 20mb congestion or not should get at least 10mb am i rigth in saying this.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Marathon Man

Hi guys,

Over the past few days, I've been noticing some strange behavior with my UPC service. But I later found out that it's not just me experiencing this, but a hell of a lot of people I know with UPC. The problem affects the wireless and appears to be apathetic of the router used.

Basically, I keep getting kicked from the Wi-Fi, after which I won't be able to reconnect. This happens to me and many other people in at least two places, using two different models of router - a Cisco EPC2425 and a Netgear (unsure of model) - on Windows, Mac and Linux. One of these connections is a home line and another is a business line, both in Galway city. I initially thought this was a problem with my laptop's wireless card, since it happened with two different routers, but after seeing it happen on several other computers on the same network I knew something was up.

How on earth could two different models of router be experiencing the same behavior in the same time frame? I thought the connection to a router would be separate from the ISP connection. I've called UPC and done all the usual - changing channel, resetting the router, etc.

I've asked on Facebook and Twitter and am receiving responses that the same is happening to other people across the country. Is this affecting anyone on Boards?

Hi, I'm experiencing the exact same problem in Dublin. I removed my wireless connection and then tried to get back on with the default password which is now rejected. Any Solutions?????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,950 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Dark Nex wrote: »
    You can't use two xboxs properly at the same time on this stupid router because only one of the NATs can be open!!! Do UPC have any other routers or am I allowed buy a different one? It's a cable router though so might be hard to find a replacement???

You can still use the epc2425 as the modem and hang a wireless router off it. I run a Belkin N adsl router off it and it works a charm. I posted the issues and solutions to setting it up a few pages back.

FWIW, I'm having absolutely no issues since I set it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Sorry if this has been answered but I can't see it anywhere.
    My wireless signal with the epc2425 is fine, it drops every hour or so during streaming, I chaged the channel yesterday so not sure if this is fixed.
    anyway as I said wireless streaming is fine from my mac to my ps3 but I decided to try 2 homeplugs that I have at home.
    They are 200mbps.
    I plugged one into the epc and the other to the ps3 (to stream HD).
    Now ps3 media player won't find the ps3?
    When I use the wireless connection on the ps3 its fine?
    Is this something to do with multicast (which I don't fully understand?)
    I thought I read on another post that some guy is using homeplugs for an ethernet type connection to stream HD?

Any suggestions most welcome.
    Many thanks
    Sham.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Got this sorted.
    Got home from work yesterday and it was working fine.
    I was able to stream all my HD content through the PS3 perfectly.
    Strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Would this router be the reason for lag in fifa on x box live? I'm on the 20 meg, ping tests and speed tests are all good, firewall and ip flood detection turned off..

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

How do I create a new password to get into settings on this modem??

first time round there was **** digit in the "current password" screen, I typed and re-entered my new password to be told the old password was incorrect :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

dogpile wrote: »
    How do I create a new password to get into settings on this modem??

first time round there was **** digit in the "current password" screen, I typed and re-entered my new password to be told the old password was incorrect :confused:

You don't need a password, just hit login and then go to setup..

hi im still having problem with my download speeds when i go to www.speedtest.net im gettng these speeds http://www.speedtest.net/result/1193227635.png could someone do a speedtest with the same place and post so i know if it the site because on upc site i get 19mb and on eircom speedtest site i get 6mb thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭cramp

Hi..

Ok i have this Internet conflict with this router..

I have 3 Pcs Wired directly to the cisco router!

When all 3 are up and running , the Vista and windows 7 PC Internet locks up for a bout 2 minutes...

Then everything is fine for a while , then after 5 to 20 mins they both lock up again....

The XP pc is always fine!

The only solution to stop the lock ups is to disconnect the XP machine ,
    but i have to this on a daily basis,
    So i know that the XP machine seems to be the prob!
    I have rang support and they say that the router is fine and its a PC issue...they then gave me a Premium rate number to rig at the cost of 90c a minute!
    God knows how long i will be on that line!
    i have also changed the Ethernet ports around and this hasn't helped...
    somehow the XP machine still lock up the other machines...

anyone else have this issue......

cramp

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Woohoo. INternet has been going down once every hour for 2 minutes. Very annoying for Xbox Live.

Called support (reply back tomorrow) and reset my router to factory settings.. Is that all I can do for now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

hi im still having problem with my download speeds when i go to www.speedtest.net im gettng these speeds http://www.speedtest.net/result/1193227635.png could someone do a speedtest with the same place and post so i know if it the site because on upc site i get 19mb and on eircom speedtest site i get 6mb thanks

On my 30 Mb line (Dublin)
    1194950262.png
    1194955152.png
    1194961584.png

Worst results I ever got, by far

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

miralize wrote: »
    Woohoo. INternet has been going down once every hour for 2 minutes. Very annoying for Xbox Live.

Called support (reply back tomorrow) and reset my router to factory settings.. Is that all I can do for now?
    that issue is caused by the dhcp lease being set to 3600 seconds which is one hout.

change it to 9999999999999999999 and click apply. this will update then to -1 giving it an infinate dhcp lease.

your internet (specifically wireless) will not reset every hour

Now no devices can connect to it. Connection Timeout.

just on wireless?

might need a reboot

This is what I change? I had to fact. reset it for it to start behaving again

• Advertisement

when you clicked apply did it change to -1?

basically that just changes the amount of time that your computer retains its IP address from the router, th 3600 makes the computer ask for a renewal every hour.

due to a bug in the cisco router it forces a NACK and then ACK which causes it to drop connectivity for about 30 seconds while it gets its new address.

151227.jpg

Advertisement